Should I?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Re: Should I?

Post by GSZX1337 »

slowslow325 wrote:The way I used the word gay, is like an alternative to the word "girly".

Yes, all gay men are girly flamers. They all act like this*:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icIwKaci ... re=related

/sarcasm

*I tried to find a higher quality version, but couldn't. I might just have to rip one of my DVDs.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Ack

Re: Should I?

Post by Ack »

slowslow325 wrote:The way I used the word gay, is like an alternative to the word "girly". Society has developed the word into that when used in that context. I don't particularly like the blue, but I don't hate it. I was NOT using it as a derogatory term, I was just describing the color better.

The word "cop" originated as a derogatory term when people would make fun of police officers by calling them "coppers" based on their buttons which were made out of copper. The term was shortened to "cop" but was still used as a derogatory term. Now, it's commonplace to say "cop" and not derogatory in the slightest.

If we are using the word "Jap" to describe a console made in Japan, that's not a derogatory term, so if someone takes offense in that, they need to seek help. We aren't calling them "Japs" we are calling the console that because it's a shortened version of the word.

Explain to me why someone would be offended by me saying "Gay baby blue". Do they think that means I hate the color? I don't. If you still don't see what I'm saying, in order to take offense in something, you have to view it as an insult. Therefore, you are just insulting yourself.

Main Entry: 1gay
Pronunciation: \ˈgā\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French gai, of Germanic origin; akin to Old High German gāhi quick, sudden
Date: 14th century

1 a : happily excited : merry <in a gay mood> b : keenly alive and exuberant : having or inducing high spirits <a bird's gay spring song>
2 a : bright, lively <gay sunny meadows> b : brilliant in color
3 : given to social pleasures; also : licentious
4 a : homosexual <gay men> b : of, relating to, or used by homosexuals <the gay rights movement> <a gay bar>

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gay

Seeing as you meant none of the definitions above, you're now making up the meanings of words, which means you're deviating from social norms. By the standards of our society, you're in the wrong.

Let me explain what the problem is, Slowslow325. The problem is we have a member who in his two years at Racketboy.com has generated several complaints due to his poor and sometimes malicious-seeming attitude towards others. You have a history of insults, trolling, and baiting individuals. And now you have a 7 page thread, in which you spend 5 arguing why you are not in the wrong for having insulted something with a popular derogatory slang term, to which someone took offense, because the word has a completely different meaning that you have made up for yourself. And despite repeated calls to come to your senses for your mistake, you have repeatedly refused to adhere to the standards of the community and its rules and apologize for the simple misunderstanding.

I have spoken with other moderators about your case, especially concerning the length of the argument here, and they were frankly surprised I hadn't already issued a warning. I am doing so now. Ordinarily I would have sent a PM, but considering just how long this argument has gone on, I believe I need to make a clarification on the rules: I don't care if you have a special hidden meaning for a word, we here at Racketboy.com go by what's generally acceptable in society, and gay is considered a derogatory term regarding homosexuals. Despite repeated attempts to point this out by numerous members of the community, you have refused to acknowledge them, so I feel I must issue this warning.

Considering your reactions in the past towards individuals, I feel it is necessary to point out that further warnings or potentially a ban will be issued if you respond in a way the moderators deem unfit, such as back talking, insulting the moderators, other members, or the website, or whining about this decision. We do not wish for this to be the case: we don't like disciplining people and don't want to have to, and frankly I'd much rather you stay on as a contributing member to the website, as I would with anyone.

Also, Hobie-wan's post was merely setup to illustrate the point about the usage of derogatory terms, not actually intended for the insulting of anything, and therefore he is deemed to be in the clear.