Together Retro: Call Of Duty & Medal Of Honor

Join in on our classic gaming club!
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Call Of Duty & Medal Of Honor

Post by TEKTORO »

Surprisingly popular month for a retro community, I gather the classic MOH/COD really feel unique for their place in time.

Ive beaten a few from each series in the past loved WaW which has a coop campaign!

I'm looking to start up a few games in a week and play through the end of month. Picked up MOH PS3 which has Frontlines HD on disc, probabaly go into Rising Sun since it's my favorite although it's not the best MOH but has Shima Field against bots which I never get tired of and some original COD HD on XBLA.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Speaking of multiplayer, when I was playing MOHAA, there was still a fairly active multiplayer scene! I remember playing deathmatch on the Stalingrad level (you could pick a new weapon everytime you respawned, even the bazookas!) and there was a good freeze tag server, playing that on the Omaha Beach map was a trip!
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Tonight I plan to start playing through a CoD game. Actually, I plan to beat two CoD games back to back. These are my guys:

I've already beaten CoD 1 & 2, might as well keep going in order.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

Exhuminator wrote:Tonight I plan to start playing through a CoD game. Actually, I plan to beat two CoD games back to back. These are my guys:

I've already beaten CoD 1 & 2, might as well keep going in order.

Perfect choices, COD 3 is overlooked and underrated I think it was the last of the classic style CODs too. I remember there wasn't a huge MP community either and MW is probably the series all time high amongst the masses. Good thing they aren't long games so if your on a roll go with it.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

So I put about 2.5 hours into Call of Duty 3 on Xbox 360 last night. Pretty funny how much my tastes have changed since 2007. Let me explain...

In 2007 I put about one hour into Call of Duty 3 on OG Xbox. I thought the game was awesome. However, at that time, I planned to get a 360 in 2008. So I decided to hold off of the OG Xbox version, and play the game on 360, to experience it with better graphics. So I gave my OG Xbox copy of Call of Duty 3 to a friend. Well, turns out I didn't bother to buy a 360 until 2014. So here I am now in 2016, nine years since my 28 year old self decided to hold off for the 360 version, finally playing that 360 version at 37 years old. :lol: If I could go back in time, I would have told myself to just finish CoD3 on OG Xbox, so I could have beaten the game while I still thought it was awesome.

Anyway, it's not that CoD3 is terrible or anything like that. It's just entirely derivative of the prior two CoD games I've already beaten. Thus far I've done nothing yet that I haven't already done many times before in any number of WW2 FPS. Well, except for a rowboat mini-game, that might be a new one. However, I am only on chapter 4 out of 14 chapters (geez), so there's time yet to be impressed.

I'll tell you guys what gets me about playing WW2 FPS stuff. Both my grandfathers were in WW2. I often feel guilty playing virtualized representations for entertainment, of what they experienced as the worst days of their lives. I wonder what they would have thought if I could have brought a 360 and HDTV to that time and shown them what would happen someday. Millions of people sitting on couches virtually gunning down Nazis for chuckles. I wonder if my grandfathers would have thought that was a good thing, or a disrespectful parody of the hell they experienced.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Exhuminator wrote:I'll tell you guys what gets me about playing WW2 FPS stuff. Both my grandfathers were in WW2. I often feel guilty playing virtualized representations for entertainment, of what they experienced as the worst days of their lives. I wonder what they would have thought if I could have brought a 360 and HDTV to that time and shown them what would happen someday. Millions of people sitting on couches virtually gunning down Nazis for chuckles. I wonder if my grandfathers would have thought that was a good thing, or a disrespectful parody of the hell they experienced.

Conversely you could also say, "Thankfully because of what you did, this is the closest most of us will ever have to get to seeing warfare on this scale," and then acknowledge that it serves to give us just an inkling of the intensity and horror they had to face, something of which most of us will never even have a basic concept.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Ack wrote:acknowledge that it serves to give us just an inkling of the intensity and horror they had to face

That's true. It's just the part where we've turned that intensity and horror into casual couch entertainment is all.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Exhuminator wrote:
Ack wrote:acknowledge that it serves to give us just an inkling of the intensity and horror they had to face

That's true. It's just the part where we've turned that intensity and horror into casual couch entertainment is all.

Yeah, well, that was part of the problem with the series. In the first entry, it was so fresh and new. We weren't yet chuckling at shooting Nazis because we were just in awe of the thing. By CoD3 though...yeah, I can see it wearing thin. CoD2 felt that way for me.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Ack wrote:By CoD3 though...yeah, I can see it wearing thin. CoD2 felt that way for me.

After MoH1, MoHU, MoH: Frontline, MoH: Allied Assault, MoH: Rising Sun, CoD1, and CoD2 (and whatever else I'm forgetting I've played)... I'm pretty burnt out on WW2 FPS*. I think actually, I'm gonna ease off CoD3 tonight and just hit up CoD4. CoD4 is mentioned all the time in rankings as the best CoD of all time, might as well find out if that's true or not.

*I've also got Finest Hour and Big Red One on Xbox, even more WW2 FPS.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

How did I miss this thread until halfway through the month!?

No one mentioned MoH Frontline? Objectively, it probably isn't better than AA, but it's gotta be my favorite MoH if only for nostalgic reasons. I haven't played it in years, but I've been meaning to replay it for a few months now.

I played through the first MoH on PS1 a bunch of times. I wouldn't mind going back and replaying this one too, but the graphics scare me! I enjoyed it enough to buy a copy of Ungerground, but for whatever reason I never played it. For years, I've wanted to go back and replay MOH and then finally play Underground.

Also...

MEDAL OF HONOR: ALLIED ASSUALT WAR CHEST IS $2.49 (75% OFF) ON GoG!