RACKET STGT '15 - Starts 2 days - Could use ONE more player!

2D Shooters Invade
mjmjr25

Re: RACKET STGT '15 - Sign Ups OPEN; Game List REVEAL!

Post by mjmjr25 »

...also, get us some Team Names, gais.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

alright so help me prepare. I know Futari works in UME.

I don't even know if LOT was an arcade game. Is it in MAME? Do I need to get it on SCD or something?

Gunbird 2 is in MAME, yeah?

Skate, assuming NullDC works fine w/ Xbox pad, I guess that's my way to go for UD?
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

mjmjr25 wrote:OP updated - if someone (stares at EXED) wants to tell us where all 4 games are available; i'd be very appreciative.

Gladly.

Mushi Futari, as you may remember, was our SOTM in March. Easily attainable for regular MAME.

Lords of Thunder is *not* an arcade title, it's original form was on the TurboDuo. It's also on Sega CD, PSN and VC. Best way to emulate would be to grab TurboEngine, the system card files, and a mounting program like VirtualCloneDrive, that's my setup for when we played Ys @ TR.

Gunbird 2 is MAME-able with no issues.

Under Defeat, being a NAOMI title is a bit an issue in MAME as the emulation isn't perfect or even passable, plus the hassle of finding the CHD image file if it's even out there. You're better off getting a physical copy.

All ROMs/ISOs can be had at emuparadise.me, type them in the search box.

As always, those who need assistance getting these games to run, shoot me a PM.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
DocHauser
128-bit

Post by DocHauser »

It's possible to emulate the Dreamcast version of Under Defeat using NullDC or Demul. Should run fine.

As for Lords of Thunder, which version is available on the VC? Because there are dramatic differences in difficulty between the TurboDuo and Sega CD versions (I managed to 1CC the Sega CD version at my first attempt, it's extremely easy).
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

DocHauser wrote:It's possible to emulate the Dreamcast version of Under Defeat using NullDC or Demul. Should run fine.

good to know!

As for Lords of Thunder, which version is available on the VC? Because there are dramatic differences in difficulty between the TurboDuo and Sega CD versions (I managed to 1CC the Sega CD version at my first attempt, it's extremely easy).

So the SCD version is no good?

I should assume the TGCD version is really expensive, right?
DocHauser
128-bit

Post by DocHauser »

Hmm, it's tough to find definitive answers on the differences between versions of LoT. I'll maybe try playing some of them this evening to see how close they are...
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Post by foxhound1022 »

I'm 95% sure the version on the Wii/Wii U VC is the Turbo port.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Anyone able to get the price for LoT on PSN? (blocked at work). I think i'd go that route over Wii/VC.
Lazer
64-bit

Post by Lazer »

Yeah the Wii VC version is really tough. It's got to be the turbo duo version.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DocHauser
128-bit

Post by DocHauser »

I have Sega CD and PC Engine emulators on my PSP, so I tried both versions out. At first glance, there do seem to be minor differences in terms of scoring and the coins you're awarded. This website has a more detailed comparison:

http://www.sega-16.com/2006/06/side-by- ... ografx-cd/

Gameplay: Both games play almost exactly the same. The Sega CD port has some slowdown for some odd reason (quick and sloppy, remember), and it can be very annoying. Also when you get hit in the Sega CD game, you cannot control your character for nearly a second as he hovers there, paralyzed. You retain full control at all times on the Turbo. And although both versions are super easy to complete, I’d have to say that the Sega CD one is much easier. The game is super-baby-easy on the Sega CD, whereas it might take a toddler to beat the Turbo version. The Sega CD rendition provides you with many more crystals (re: money) and offers much larger bonuses at the end of the stage for some reason. Did they feel that the Turbo game was too hard? What gives? Be sure to go into the options and increase the difficulty if you plan on playing this on the Sega CD. The final stage seems to run at a quicker pace on the Sega CD, but maybe that’s just me.

And another thing, if you get a game over at any point, it takes you to the continue screen, where you can choose to keep going or return to the main menu. It doesn't show you your score at this point, and there doesn't seem to be a high score table to record your score, so it looks like people will quickly have to write down their score before the continue screen appears, and they probably won't have a chance to take a screenshot...