Together Retro November, 2020 - Games NOT Beaten

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Ziggy

Re: Together Retro November, 2020 - Games NOT Beaten

Post by Ziggy »

So I never would have realized this if it wasn't mentioned in that thread, but you don't actually have to BEAT the boss. You just have to survive. So if you concentrate on just platforming, and not landing hits, then it becomes much easier.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Ziggy587 wrote:So I never would have realized this if it wasn't mentioned in that thread, but you don't actually have to BEAT the boss. You just have to survive. So if you concentrate on just platforming, and not landing hits, then it becomes much easier.

Oh damn, that's nowhere NEAR as bad. It also goes a long way to explaining just why that boss is so miserable XP

I tried some Sonic 2 today, and it's definitely a FAR better game than Sonic 1, but it's still got some rough places. Strangely enough, in something I don't remember at all from my youth, Tails was the #1 cause of me dying. Him activating platforms and especially hitting Robotnik when I was trying to and causing me to just fall though him is what got me a Game Over XP

I think this mayyy be the end of me going through the Genesis Collection for this month's TR, but I got my copy of Shadow the Hedgehog, so I'm at least gonna do that one too before the month is out X3
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:I tried some Sonic 2 today, and it's definitely a FAR better game than Sonic 1, but it's still got some rough places. Strangely enough, in something I don't remember at all from my youth, Tails was the #1 cause of me dying. Him activating platforms and especially hitting Robotnik when I was trying to and causing me to just fall though him is what got me a Game Over XP

Oh, yeah. Go into the options menu and turn Tails off !
marurun

Post by marurun »

I finally finished Defenders of Oasis and posted in the Games Beaten 2020 thread. It's been a haul. I was originally going to play this for September's Together Retro. And I probably would have made it, too, had life not gotten in the way. So I put it down and left it until last week. I think this might actually be the first TR game I have successfully finished this year, and it took me two TRs to do it.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

I finished Dawn of Discovery. It's a FANTASTIC starting point for city management games, and except for the final chapter of the story mode it's the perfect way to spend a while relaxing. I did have some personal stuff going on the last few months which I assume is why I stopped it, because I can't think of a reason related to the game as to why I would stop it, other than waiting for resources and money to allocate for certain objectives, and the constant nagging of "don't forget your current objective is this".

I'll make a video on it within the next 2 weeks.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

I finished Sonic 2~ :D

I only used save states so I wouldn't need to fight Silver Sonic every time I wanted another try at Robotnik, but he didn't take me THAT many tries, and I figured out a pattern eventually~.

I tried Sonic 3 right after and it's just SO different, I wasn't really feeling it. Gunstar advised me to give it a rest for a while because it is just so different, so I'll try coming back to it a different day. I'm just happy that I was finally able to beat one of the classic Sonic games after all these years XD
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Congrats!

For Sonic 3, I highly recommend playing Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Locking on Sonic 2 to the Sonic & Knuckles cart just lets you play as Knuckles in Sonic 2, but locking on Sonic 3 does much more. It puts both games together into one massive game, and allows you to save progress (you can save in Sonic 3, but normally you cannot save in Sonic & Knuckles if you're playing that cart alone). If you're playing on an emulator or flash cart, then consider using this hack.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Ziggy587 wrote:Congrats!

For Sonic 3, I highly recommend playing Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Locking on Sonic 2 to the Sonic & Knuckles cart just lets you play as Knuckles in Sonic 2, but locking on Sonic 3 does much more. It puts both games together into one massive game, and allows you to save progress (you can save in Sonic 3, but normally you cannot save in Sonic & Knuckles if you're playing that cart alone). If you're playing on an emulator or flash cart, then consider using this hack.

Someday I'll be sure to give it all a try again, and I'll have to give that a try too~. I'll probably have to emulate it though. I don't got no way to play that right now otherwise ^^;

I started Shadow the Hedgehog this morning! Another game I rented as a kid and never beat all the way. It's pretty good! I'd put it more on the level of quality (more a little below, perhaps) of SA1, but it's WAY better than Sonic Heroes. I'm unfortunately playing the PS2 version (it was 700 yen vs. 4000 yen for the GameCube version ^^;), which runs pretty bad despite being locked at 30 FPS, but it's still plenty playable. I've got 3 routes out of 10 done so far, and hopefully I'll have the rest of them finished over the next couple days~
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

I completed Shadow the Hedgehog today! :D

Review is still soon to come, but I really ended up enjoying it. I'd go as far as to say that it's even a better game than the first Sonic Adventure. It's not better than Sonic Adventure 2, certainly no, but it's still a pretty strong 3D Sonic game, all things considered. It's definitely one of the biggest surprises I've had this year with how much I liked it, and I'm really glad this TR pointed me back to it ^w^
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

You are rocking it, Pidge. Awesome work. I still need to jump back in to a “not beaten” game (and I will as soon as I track down 102 more power moons in Super Mario Odyssey).