How is your Sega CD gaming going?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: How is your Sega CD gaming going?

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Scooter wrote:One of the sole reasons to own a Sega CD? Heart of the Alien. It can be expensive but is a must play. It also includes a copy of Out of This World as the two games' storylines are related.

I've actually never heard of that game, but now that I've looked a bit up about it, I'm definitely interested. I might have to pick that one up once I finish paying for my slew of Wii U and PS4 pre-orders.
Patron Saint of Bitch Mode
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I have a question: which SegaCD games are exclusives?

Sonic CD is obvious.

I think a lot of SegaCD games are ported from Amiga or other computers of the time.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

samsonlonghair wrote:I have a question: which SegaCD games are exclusives?

A/X-101
A-Rank Thunder Tanjouhen
Android Assault: The Revenge of Bari-Arm
Anett Futatabi*
Blade Arcus from Shining
Captain Tsubasa
Dark Wizard
Eternal Champions: Challenge from the Dark Side
Formula One World Championship: Beyond the Limit
Ground Zero: Texas
Heart of the Alien
Lunar: Eternal Blue
Lunar: The Silver Star
Racing Aces
Robo Aleste
Shadowrun (1996 video game)
Shining Force CD
Soulstar
The Third World War
Wild Woody
Wirehead
WWF Rage in the Cage

Some of these had different versions on other platforms, but were not the same as the SEGA CD versions themselves.

*My pick for underrated fun.

As for Heart of the Alien:

"Eric Chahi recalled: "Interplay insisted in making the sequel in order to make the most of the CD-ROM medium's capabilities. After discussion, I agreed. Rather than making a chronological development related to the first story, I decided that redesigning the game from the alien point of view was excellent, and would make the player discover Another World with other eyes. I could already picture scenes where Lester would be in the background fighting guards, while the player would control the alien in the foreground and then join our first hero, help him, etc... The concept was good but, alas, neither the animations nor the game, entirely developed by Interplay, were up to the job. It was a flop."[1] Reportedly, "quickly after it was released, Chahi made a public statement that the title did not represent his vision of the world he crafted and disowned it altogether from being treated as an official sequel."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_of_the_Alien

Éric Chahi wrote the base concept for Heart of the Alien, but he did not directly create the game, and it shows. As a huge fan of Another World I had really high hopes for its sequel, but for me personally it was a dud.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Exhuminator wrote:Some of these had different versions on other platforms, but were not the same as the SEGA CD versions themselves.

word. Like Shining Force being the only way to play the GG games in English. Or Eternal Champs having so much added to it that it should have just been called Eternal Champions II.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

samsonlonghair wrote:I have a question: which SegaCD games are exclusives?

Can't leave out:

NFL's Greatest: San Francisco Vs. Dallas 1978-1993
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Sonic CD actually had a Win 95 version released shortly after the original.

Shining Force CD is one I still need to pick up. The price is a bit off-putting. Story of my life, I suppose.
Scooter
Next-Gen

Post by Scooter »

Exhuminator wrote:Éric Chahi wrote the base concept for Heart of the Alien, but he did not directly create the game, and it shows. As a huge fan of Another World I had really high hopes for its sequel, but for me personally it was a dud.

I think it played just as well as Out of this World/Another World, maybe better in my experience. My only experience prior to the Sega CD version is the Genesis version of OOTW, it may play differently on other formats. The Genesis and Sega CD versions play exactly the same, the only difference being the soundtrack if I recall correctly.

I've always felt HOTA was the better game. Great storyline, you really get immersed and begin to care for the characters. Biggest problem is the game is rather rare and expensive to obtain, glad I bought mine "back in the day".
Last edited by Scooter on Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ow! My small intestine!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Scooter wrote:Biggest problem is the game is rather rare and expensive to obtain.

Huh, I didn't know it was worth anything nowadays. I'll see if I still have my original copy.
Maybe one of you nostalgic suckers will buy it off me. :twisted:
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Scooter
Next-Gen

Post by Scooter »

Exhuminator wrote:
Scooter wrote:Biggest problem is the game is rather rare and expensive to obtain.

Huh, I didn't know it was worth anything nowadays. I'll see if I still have my original copy.
Maybe one of you nostalgic suckers will buy it off me. :twisted:

Not outrageous, but if you can find a copy for $20 or less you are getting a bargain. For example:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... a&_sacat=0
Ow! My small intestine!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I looked through my Sega CD games last night and verified I do still own a legit copy of Heart of the Alien. However it is disc only, no case or manual. The disc is in very good condition though. If anyone is interested in buying it send me a PM.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.