So apparently "Retro Games" suck..........

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
Balasubbie
128-bit

Re: So apparently "Retro Games" suck..........

Post by Balasubbie »

It's poorly expanded upon, but I agree with his point on the misplaced sense of entitlement to found amongst piracy advocates, not just within the gaming sphere. I am quite tired of hearing folk ramble on about how they're ripping off the big, faceless corporations and in the same breath lament the loss of local gaming scenes, all without the wherewithal that this may be one of the contributing factors.

Anyways, I would've enjoyed his video considerably more had he not felt the need to go for bargain basement comedy, he was getting by fine being himself. Oh, and his sunglasses are so wrasslin' 101 a la Bret Hart, which dictates:

When nervous on camera, wear shades, they hide the fact your eyes dart about
like pennies in a washing machine.
bladerunner
64-bit

Post by bladerunner »

Never even heard of this asshat...
Czernobog
Next-Gen

Post by Czernobog »

I don't understand how anyone can take this guy seriously while he's wearing those sunglasses indoors.
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

Having "Jimquisitions" replace "Rev Rants" is a perfect analogue to having "Mind of Mencia" replace "Chappelle's Show". I don't think I need to say much more about it than that - but I will!

Swear to God, J.Holmes (and the community - and the fact that it doesn't look nearly as bad as Kotaku on my Droid) is the only reason I bother going there anymore.

Jim makes some points, sure, but he always does it in the most ass way possible. Yes, shitty retro games exist. However, shitty modern games exist. While there are a lot less shitty games than there used to be, there's also a lot less great games than there used to be. Everything is kinda middling out into soulless, thoughtless, bland and tasteless sludge.

Many games that I've played this generation (X-Blades, SAW, Lost Planet 1 & 2, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Enslaved, Silent Hill: Homecoming, just off the top of my head) aren't terrible games, but they are far from good. They are so middling that I have absolutely no reason to play them. A terrible game can sometimes be so terrible that it actually makes you smile. A great game will make you smile because of its greatness. A mediocre game... is just boring. Completely and utterly boring.

Plus, ya know - it's kinda sad when all of the most anticipated, well-received and critically acclaimed games are Halo, Killzone, Call of Duty, Gears of War, God of War, and all the other ultra-masculine, macho-male power fantasies (and, by virtue of them being power fantasies, they involve next to no challenge at all in order to fulfill the player's power fantasy) that take themselves way too seriously and have color palettes that consist of grays and browns.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

the7k wrote:(and, by virtue of them being power fantasies, they involve next to no challenge at all in order to fulfill the player's power fantasy)

God of War

lolwut??
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

God of War was basically Devil May Cry/Ninja Gaiden without the need for skill - unless you count 'Simon Says' as a skill.

That's how I felt about it anyway. The only challenge was trying to relate to Kratos in a positive manner.
Mendoza
128-bit

Post by Mendoza »

the7k wrote:God of War was basically Devil May Cry/Ninja Gaiden without the need for skill - unless you count 'Simon Says' as a skill.

That's how I felt about it anyway. The only challenge was trying to relate to Kratos in a positive manner.

Yes but that is a damn near impossible challenge. Beating Ninja Gaiden on the hardest setting is still easier than trying to think of Kratos as anything more than a raging asshat.

There have always been good and bad games, time and technology are irrelevant for the most part.
Evildeadmanwalking77
128-bit

Post by Evildeadmanwalking77 »

I can't even justify that opinion and I'm putting aside my love for retro games. These games paved the way for the next generation games of today, you don't have to love them but at least respect them. :x Any true gamer would IMO.
I am addicted to video games, especially retro gaming from my era. I have: NES, SNES, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Gameboy, GBA, Wii, Sega Genesis, Sega CD, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, Xbox, and Xbox 360. I have probably over 1,000 games in total for all these systems combined. Yes, I need help and I wouldn't have it any other way! This is my passion and hey my wife still loves me!!
MidnightRider
32-bit

Post by MidnightRider »

^Tell that to the community at RPGfa...I mean RPGhac...I mean Romhacking.net about the 2600: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.p ... 100.0.html
AznKhmerBoi
Next-Gen

Post by AznKhmerBoi »

what a douch bag , boy i love to pummel his face in ground :mrgreen:
PSN- jacktsang05
WiiU- jacktsang05