Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

Post by RCBH928 »

Limewater wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:I saw the Sixth sense , its from 1999 so literally 23 years ago. That is literally historic movie 2 decades ago! To put things in perspective , it would be an equvilant movie from 1977 to the year 2000. To put things in more perspective , its nearing the time difference between Jaws and the first Lord of the Rings!

Jaws (1975)
The Lord of the Rings (1978)

That's three years, bud.

nice one. I didn't know about that. Thats some ugly animation though, similar like the animation of the Zelda games on CD-i
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

RCBH928 wrote:
nice one. I didn't know about that. Thats some ugly animation though, similar like the animation of the Zelda games on CD-i

Are you kidding? Are you sure you're looking at the right thing?

Ralph Bakshi's Lord of the Rings is gorgeous! Other problems with the film make it rather dull, unfortunately, and they made Sam a complete embarrassment, but the visuals are great! So much rotoscoping! Such fluid and natural movement!
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

idk , looks similar to me.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

Heh.

Plenty of single stills in the movie look bad, but that is true with plenty of stills from live action films as well. Just hit pause watching any movie and the people on screen will probably look awkward.

But when you see it in motion the animation is incredible.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I was dumbstruck when I learned that Sonic The Hedgehog was the 3rd highest grossing movie of 2020 , just below 1917 and above Star Wars! I thought this movie was just some b-grade money grab given its trying to make money from a mascot that was last popular in the 90s. My other shock was Jumanji was at #4 . I classify that movie as garbage material although I didn't see it, I know what to expect.

I am saddened to see that this is what the majority of the audience want to see and where future film investments are going to be, movie producers sure are better businessmen than I am. There was a ranking for "gross" and then a different one for "total gross" which I couldn't tell what is the difference between them on imdb.

------

I also thought the number was low (about $150M) for the 3rd highest grossing movie of the year which made me think its because of the COVID situation, and a quick comparison showed that there was about a mind boggling $386M less revenue from #2 in 2019 to #2 in 2020, and thats from just 1 movie! 2021 numbers aren't much better except for Spider Man.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

To be fair, my children really, really like Sonic the Hedgehog, and they’re really excited for the sequel.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

the movie or the character from the videogames?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

RCBH928 wrote:the movie or the character from the videogames?

The movie. They’ve heard of the video games, but they’ve never played them.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Sonic is a shining example of how to do an adaptation right. The initial trailers were met with negative reactions. Sonic looked like something out of a nightmare and didn't look like the character from the games at all. After a lot of negative feedback, the studio redesigned him and ultimately tried to make a movie that fans of the games would be happy with, and it ended up being a big success. In fact, I think it destroyed that awful Birds of Prey movie at the box office

The trailer for the second one once again looks like a very fan friendly movie that is drawing heavily from the old video games. You can hear a ring tone from the games, see an actual level from Sonic 3 re-created onscreen, two fan favorites are in it in the form of Tails and Knuckles, and one of Sonic 2's bosses can be seen as well. I can't imagine why anyone from a retro gaming site would complain

Compare this with the recent Halo show, or the He-Man show from Kevin Smith, both of witch are almost universally hated because they both show zero respect for fans of these properties or the properties themselves.

Plus, the trailer for Sonic 2 just looks fun. The wedding scene is pretty amusing. The first movie was a feel good movie that the whole family can enjoy. We need more movies like that.

Also, good video game movies are EXTREMELY rare. They are awful 90% of the time. The first Sonic movie is like sighting a unicorn. I think the second trailer for it gave people hope and then after it released word got around that it was good so more and more people went to see it. The fact that the second one looks like it will be good as well feels like a miracle. The lesson here though, is that making a good video game movie is pretty easy when you just give fans what they want and try to stick to the source material as well.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Raging Justice wrote:or the He-Man show from Kevin Smith, both of witch are almost universally hated because they both show zero respect for fans of these properties or the properties themselves.

Actually, the He-Man show was pretty well received in many corners. I grew up watching He-Man and the Filmation theme music is burned into my brain, as is the mellow voice of Prince Adam. And the only thing I actually didn't like about Revelations was that many of the voices just didn't match. If you look at the user review spread at places like IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes, the normal curve of reviews paired with the large number of 1* reviews is a clear indication of review-bombing, which is rarely, if ever, an indication of actual viewer reception. It speaks, instead, to the efforts of a motivated minority. And while Netflix doesn't release viewership numbers publicly, apparently inside baseball is that the show did great at grabbing eyeballs, which makes it a success by any metric. You've been spending too much time in the echo chamber.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.