Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

Post by RCBH928 »

Golgo 14 wrote:
The idea that the 70s were a relaxed, pleasant time is beyond ridiculous.

I wouldn't know I was not alive but judging from their media it seems life was much more laid back and relaxed. Add in there there wasn't much videogames, internet, VHS was not introduced until about '77 (note introduced , also not sure if people had any way to watch a movie at home before that other than tv channels) , no smartphones...I just assumed life was more laid back.

I was alive in the 90s and I guarantee things were much laid back than the instant speed of now. I mean, to get on the internet you had to turn on a 4 -pieces-computer on a desk connected via phone wire just to send an email. You also had to make the connection, it was not always on.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Ziggy587 wrote:Here's just a few movies off the top of my head that are from the 70's and still hold up today. These movies are full of intense action and/or tension.

Star Wars (1977)
Jaws (1975)
The French Connection (1971)
Dog Day Afternoon (1975)
Gone In 60 Seconds (1974)
The Exorcist (1973)
Halloween (1978)
Alien (1979)
Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974)
Mad Max (1979)
Enter the Dragon (1973)
Rocky (1976)

Some of the above movies have that distinct 70's grainy film look to them, which I know some people don't like, but I believe all of the above movies are just as watchable in 2022 as ever. But some of the above movies, if you showed a young fella a recent HD remaster they would never guess it was from the 70s.

I just looked up The Shining and saw it was 1980, but it always felt like a 70's flick to me (and it basically is). Speaking of Kubrick, there's 2001 A Space Odyssey, but that's actually 1968. And although it's somewhat entertaining to watch, it's not exactly a suspense/action/thriller like the above movies. I was going for edge-of-your-seat movies. So although Grease (1978) or American Graffiti (1973) hold up well, they also didn't fit that bill.

Hmm, there's also Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory from 1971. Although that film looks really dated now, fuck you it's Gene Wilder! Speaking of Wilder, go watch Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles (both from the 70s) right now if you haven't seen them! There's plenty of other action or thriller movies from the 70's that I haven't seen yet, so I can't speak first hand about them, but they are known to be good. Like Dirty Harry or the first two Godfathers. Then there's some movies that are still watchable and have decent action, but I can admit they are dated. Like Superman. There's a few that's been on my to-watch list for a while, like Chinatown and Taxi Driver.

I focused on the 70s, but you actually said 70s and prior. Well, there's also tons of movies from the preceding decades that also proved to be timeless. Probably the best example is The Wizard of Oz, which is from 1939!

Yeah thats why I said for most of them. movies like Exorcist, Halloween, Dog Day Afternoon, The Shinning, The Godfather hold well or better than the current offering actually. I do not recall them clearly now but IIRC Star Wars, Rocky, and Mad Max were ok too. Rocky was a bit slow but given the movie is more drama than action its understandable. Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory is an all time favorite of mine, didn't realise it was that old. I saw Young Frankenstein its funny for its time.

Its movies like The French Connection, Jaws, and I know I will be hated for this and Apocalypse Now that I can't stand. The pacing is so slow and boring talk for hours. I thought Jaws was action filled by it was a snooze fest for me. I do not recall Apocalypse Now and maybe its held in high regard for its "philosophical" critism or something but IIRC it was slow and boring for me that is what I remember. I was not impressed. Maybe I am wrong, maybe I need to watch again.

I am currently watching Kramer vs Kramer and its ok but a bit slow. Although from the 80s, they still probably have been affected by the 70s movie production style, After Hour I had to stop early because of the slow pace (will give another shot) and Manhunter felt more from the 70s than the 80s. They don't feel released in the same decade of Ghost Busters and Back to the Future.
Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

If your definition of laidback and relaxed depends on less technology for some reason, then the 1970s were much more laidback and relaxed than today, but not nearly as much as the 1930s, which in turn were downright hectic compared to the carefree days of 4000 BCE.

RCBH928 wrote:I am currently watching Kramer vs Kramer and its ok but a bit slow. Although from the 80s, they still probably have been affected by the 70s movie production style, After Hour I had to stop early because of the slow pace (will give another shot) and Manhunter felt more from the 70s than the 80s. They don't feel released in the same decade of Ghost Busters and Back to the Future.

I don't know why you're bothering. Older movies are great, but they're not to your taste.
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Well Jaws isn't an action movie, it's a suspense/thriller. But The French Connection, I'm not sure if we've seen the same movie. It's full of action. The car chase sequence in particular is super memorable.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Golgo 14 wrote:I don't know why you're bothering. Older movies are great, but they're not to your taste.

Not necessarily , as I mentioned Willy Wonka (1971) is an all time favorite of mine. There are other great older movies like God Father, Wizard of Oz, Planet of the Apes, Lawrence Of Arabia , Gone with the Wind, Oliver! (1968) . Some are not to my taste and has really slow pace, I just noticed a lot of movies in the 70s tend to be in the area of "slow paced" ones.

Ziggy587 wrote:Well Jaws isn't an action movie, it's a suspense/thriller. But The French Connection, I'm not sure if we've seen the same movie. It's full of action. The car chase sequence in particular is super memorable.

all I remember is long and slow talk scenes and maybe 1 or 2 action scenes. Thats what I remember.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I really want to see Turning Red. The trailer is hilarious and it’s been getting rave reviews.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I saw the Sixth sense , its from 1999 so literally 23 years ago. That is literally historic movie 2 decades ago! To put things in perspective , it would be an equvilant movie from 1977 to the year 2000. To put things in more perspective , its nearing the time difference between Jaws and the first Lord of the Rings!

For some odd reason the mid-late 90s movies hold really well as if they are current, unlike the earlier 90's movie (albeit not all). Movies like Lethal Weapon and BiG you can easily tell they are older ones. LoTR is extremely impressive, it could drop today and I would still be impressed by the CGI. I know I watched recently.

in other news, I am getting old. really old.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

marurun wrote:I really want to see Turning Red. The trailer is hilarious and it’s been getting rave reviews.

I have been upset with Disney current releases since they seem much more commercial with some agenda behind it. I was not impressed by including the song "Shut up and drive" by Rihanna in Wreck it Ralph and we all know what that song is talking about in a kids movie.

its not like earlier ones when you enjoyed a fun and magical story like Beauty and the Beast or Aladdin. (Yes I know about Lion King,)
marurun

Post by marurun »

RCBH928 wrote:I have been upset with Disney current releases since they seem much more commercial with some agenda behind it. I was not impressed by including the song "Shut up and drive" by Rihanna in Wreck it Ralph and we all know what that song is talking about in a kids movie.

its not like earlier ones when you enjoyed a fun and magical story like Beauty and the Beast or Aladdin. (Yes I know about Lion King,)

You don’t know much about Disney himself, do you… Shameless commerce was the goal of the Disney corporation from the beginning. As for agendas, well, Disney films have been loaded with various and sundry agendas since the early days, whether those agendas were inherent to the source material or imposed by Disney or the production teams.

To me, Turning Red does look like a magical story that is just like I would have been reading about when I was somewhere between 10 and 13. Coming of age, culture clashes, and parent-child relationships are standard fare in YA fiction, including fantasy.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

RCBH928 wrote:I saw the Sixth sense , its from 1999 so literally 23 years ago. That is literally historic movie 2 decades ago! To put things in perspective , it would be an equvilant movie from 1977 to the year 2000. To put things in more perspective , its nearing the time difference between Jaws and the first Lord of the Rings!

Jaws (1975)
The Lord of the Rings (1978)

That's three years, bud.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii