Together Retro: Castlevania

Join in on our classic gaming club!
charlieton

Re: Together Retro: Castlevania

Post by charlieton »

I gave it a try last night. I reached the fourth stage and tried my luck at beating Frankenstein ('s monster), three times or so. He's always at ridiculously low amounts of health (like two or three bars) when I get killed by a fireball (or whatever it is that midget throws at you). Those things hurt. The strategy I'm going with is to try and disable the crazy midget whenever he's coming at me, because when disabled you can just walk straight through him. Also, I'm staying around the middle where I got lots of room to avoid the fireballs, and am able to reach Frankenstein with the whip.

However, I just thought to myself that I wouldn't be able to finish it then, at least not quickly enough. I'll probably give it another go this weekend, with the dedication to reach Dracula.
alexis524
128-bit

Post by alexis524 »

after a few years of the cart collecting dust, i popped it in the other day, i can breeze thru the first two stages without getting hit, but the third stage goes from easy to hella difficult. I can make it to the end boss (two mummies), but with one or two life bars left and no sub weapons, i get pwned pretty quick.
I'll beat em yet tho.........

*update, i managed to perfect my whipage skills on the the third level, and can get thru now with out getting hit once. i took the advice of many and abandoned the boomerang for holy water with triple shot. I found a strategy for beating the mummies with out getting hit, but the fourth level gets tough after the field with eagles that drop fleamen. That's a breeze to pass thru, but the next part of the stage, with the bone dragons, that's tough. I can make it to Frankenstein, and thought i had him beat, but he pwned me with only one of his life bars left. SO close.
philipofmacedon
32-bit

Post by philipofmacedon »

Success!

It took two sessions but I finally beat this game.

On Wednesday I started it up and got as far as Death. I just couldn't get past him, no matter what I tried.

Tonight I sat down around 7:00 and started to play. Things went much smoother at first. Didn't lose a life until Frankenstein. Got back to Death and started dying like crazy. I felt like it was going to be a repeat of my earlier session. Death is hard enough without that stupid hallway before him. As I was hacking my way through I managed to pick up the double weapon upgrade and figured this was my big chance.

I read online that jumping into the corner is a good strategy. I found it really works. You go into the middle, hack away or shot your cross, and then, just as the scythes home in on you, you jump down. When Death finally burst into flames I couldn't believe it. But to my horror, two of his scythes were still live and chasing me. I forgot that he could still kill you after he dies. I knew another hit would kill me, and probably induce me to throw my controller. Frantically I started jumping, throwing crosses, and whipping. I managed to stop the things and make it to the orb. I was so happy.

Dracula was a slog but eventually with the holy water I got him.

I am very pleased with how I used my Friday night.
Mozgus wrote:Ok sent the trial. In return, spread the word around here that I'm not a total asshole. :lol:
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I dn't think I'm gonna make it past Frankenstein('s Monster's Igor).
LivingtheDream
8-bit

Post by LivingtheDream »

I love this game..been playing it since it came out. ^^

A tip to anyone that hasn't beat this one yet: The best secondary weapon is holy water. When you combine holy water with the ability to throw two or three secondary weapons you're more or less unstoppable. Even the Grim Reaper is a piece of cake if you use holy water on him.

I just finished up school for the fall so I'll attempt to beat this game again over the weekend. If I do I'll post a video as I might know of a few tricks that you all haven't discovered yet.
LivingtheDream
8-bit

Post by LivingtheDream »

Okay, managed to beat it in one run over the weekend. Here is the promised video. :)

Note that I screw up in a lot of parts but I do manage to show how most of the bosses can be beaten with cheap tactics. ;) Lots of luck involved as well as I nearly die in a few places.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRNcCfSpJPw
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGIfvVn9_nM
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5gDEubvbbc&fmt=18