The Alien & Predator Appreciation Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: The Alien & Predator Appreciation Thread - Alien Day is

Post by noiseredux »

obvious joke: There was a lethargic alien in that scene?
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Holy crap, have y'all seen this? Alien: Out of the Shadows: An Audible Original Drama

Rutger Hauer plays a rogue AI named Ash, that is trying to keep the specimen alive. Whoa. Want this.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

@ Noise, had to read it twice but laughed.

@ Stark, I actually heard that Alien audio series advertise on a podcast I listen to (forget which one). I was intrigued. What's the rice point and how are reviews?

On a side note, I really enjoy AvP on the Jaguar. It is NOT a run & gun. It's a immersive experience. Think of it like the first Alien movie. Extremely tense with pockets of intense action.

Check out Atari Age's Shintos Jaguar game by game podcast on this game. The development history is really interesting. Shinto is a big fan of Alien so it's a great episode. Link:
http://atarijaguargamebygame.libsyn.com ... s-predator

Had the Jag launched with this game (came out almost exactly 1 yr after launch), I think it would've changed the history of the console. Most PCs weren't running games like this at the time.

Also, my current PC background is a Weyland Corp logo. No one every gets the reference.

My Retro Achievements | Games Beaten 2023 & 2024 |
xJAGOx = Xbox Gamertag | Console Mods
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I want that radio drama. Amazon lists a "Kindle version" for $8... is that still audio or is it a transcribed version?
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

@Jag, it's Audible so I think it's like $18 or if you're an Audible member it is 1 credit.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

So I'm a bit confused. Looks like there are several Alien & Predator books by Tim Lebon. Bonez, think that is what version you are seeing on Amazon.

It then says "an Audible original drama." I'm fairly certain this is the Alien "audio series" I heard advertised on another podcast (not marketed as a simple reading of an existing novel).

I read this "book" back around 2008. Forget the name but it was originally an audio file only first. I forget what that was called almost 10 years ago. Well, that file got thousands of downloads so they then transcribed it & published as a novel. I wonder if this is similar.

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

yeah I don't want to hear just a book on tape. I'd be interested in the 'audio drama,' though. Hmm.

Didn't have time for any Alien pinball last night. But we did watch The Alien Saga documentary which covered the first four films in pretty good detail. Worth seeing!
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Had a friend remind me, the podcast first, novel later was Infected by Scott Sigler.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infected_(novel)

I'll read some reviews on the Alien audio series. This could liven up my work commute!

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: The Alien & Predator Appreciation Thread

Post by noiseredux »

btw, the best thing I learned from The Alien Saga documentary: the original plan for the four-legged Xeno in Alien 3 was to put a weiner dog in an Alien costume. Dead serious. They showed test footage of it. Y'all can hate on Alien 3 all you want. But at least it wasn't The Killer Shrews in space.
Michi
Next-Gen

Re: The Alien & Predator Appreciation Thread

Post by Michi »

When making a case about how a much maligned chapter of a franchise is actually good, I don't thing the best argument to use is, "Look guys! It totally could have been worse!"

:wink:

Anywho, in honor of Alien day (which I did not know was a thing), on Monday night I watched Alien, something I haven't done in.... Well, hell, I don't remember the last time I watched it. All I know is that it was long enough to make me forget about the vent scene :lol:

Last night I followed up my viewing of Alien with Aliens, a film I remember a hell of a lot more of, but there were still a couple noticeable blanks in my memory bank. Still enjoy them. Still love both of them. But I can see both arguments over which one is better than the other. Personally, I think they're equally impressive, as I think both of them accomplished what they set out to do. Rah Rah. A+. Will not wait so long to watch them again.