How is your Sega CD gaming going?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Re: How is your Sega CD gaming going?

Post by retrosportsgamer »

I picked up my Sega CD at a KB toys around the holidays in what must have been december 96? IIRC it was either $20 or $30 and they just had a palatte they were trying to get rid of. I shopped for used titles in different video stores and back collected for the system for the next 6 months or so.

I still have the original box (HUGE) in my office. i haven't hooked the system up in well over 15 years. Main titles I had (and still have): Sewer Shark (pack-in), Sonic CD, Jurassic Park, NBA Jam, Mortal Kombat and a sweet cardboard CIB of Final Fight CD.

It wasn't until I really got back into retro game collecting in 09 that I grabbed titles like NHL '94, Joe Montana Football, WWF Rage in the Cage and Links: The Challenge of Golf (a $3 MAGfest grab). Oh and the eBay seller that I got Slam City from (32x vers) threw in a copy of Power Factory Featuring C&C Music Factory for some sick, demented reason.

I guess it was last year that I picked up one of those custom power units that will work with your Gen2/32x and Sega CD2, eliminating all those power cords. I haven't had a chance to set that beast back up but i have the space for it in the retro entertainment center.

When I did a big sell-off two years ago, anything from my original gaming/collecting in the 90s was off limits for me. I couldn't stomach getting rid of it.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:What are some of y'all's affordable (under $30) Sega CD suggestions for whenever I decide to break out a bit with the system?

Sol-Feace is a cheap and fun horizontal shmup. Sort of like R-Type but I like it more. Great music.

Mickey Mania is a really really nice looking platformer. A bit more challenging than the Illusion series I think - in part thanks to so-so hit detection. But I have a soft spot for this one.

Eternal Champions CD might be pushing $30? But it is an expanded version of the Genesis game. New characters, new stages, more blood...

Sewer Shark is kind of a must-play, I think. If you're only going to try one FMV game, go with Sewer Shark. Don't get me wrong - I personally like Night Trap better - but SS is probably a bit more playable really. And cheap.

There's also a handful of Genesis titles that I just always preferred on Sega CD - maybe for no other reason than they were on CD so they seemed like 'the future.' Funny, even with added loadtimes these became the versions that remained nostalgic to me. Stuff like Mortal Kombat, NBA Jam, NHL 94...
Kidpanda
64-bit

Post by Kidpanda »

Keio Flying Squadron isn't that good of a game, yet I sold my copy on eBay for $800 around 3 months ago.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Kidpanda wrote:Keio Flying Squadron isn't that good of a game

I agree, but I think it has the best cover art of any SEGA CD game.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Kidpanda wrote:Keio Flying Squadron isn't that good of a game, yet I sold my copy on eBay for $800 around 3 months ago.

I had no idea it had gone up that much. Damn.
Kidpanda
64-bit

Post by Kidpanda »

noiseredux wrote:
Kidpanda wrote:Keio Flying Squadron isn't that good of a game, yet I sold my copy on eBay for $800 around 3 months ago.

I had no idea it had gone up that much. Damn.

Mine was pretty much brand new. Literally 2 shelf scuffs on the case and everything was mint. Even the manual had never been opened.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

noiseredux wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:What are some of y'all's affordable (under $30) Sega CD suggestions for whenever I decide to break out a bit with the system?

Sewer Shark is kind of a must-play, I think. If you're only going to try one FMV game, go with Sewer Shark. Don't get me wrong - I personally like Night Trap better - but SS is probably a bit more playable really. And cheap.

There's also a handful of Genesis titles that I just always preferred on Sega CD - maybe for no other reason than they were on CD so they seemed like 'the future.' Funny, even with added loadtimes these became the versions that remained nostalgic to me. Stuff like Mortal Kombat, NBA Jam, NHL 94...

Oh, I love FMV games. I love them the way I love Sharknado and EDF; they're just so campy and sub-par that they pass into charming brilliance.

I totally feel you about the Sega CD versions of multiplats; I've got NBA Jam for a few consoles, but the Sega CD version is still the one I usually play, even with the loading times.
Patron Saint of Bitch Mode
Scooter
Next-Gen

Post by Scooter »

Silpheed isn't a bad shooter, gets too tough later on though for me. Flashback is one of my favorite games of all time and I actually prefer the cart version but the CD version adds in some of the cutscene animations from the PC version that the cart doesn't have. The game itself is exactly the same.

One of the sole reasons to own a Sega CD? Heart of the Alien. It can be expensive but is a must play. It also includes a copy of Out of This World as the two games' storylines are related.

Lots of people rave about Snatcher and it is a fun game, it is not the greatest game I've ever played. Solid game though, good storyline, decent game play and good graphics. The shooting sections can be tough without a CRT TV and a light gun though.

Inexpensive games worth playing, previously mentioned Sewer Shark and Sonic CD. The Ecco games on Sega CD are better than the cart versions since they have the full Spenser Neilsen soundtracks which are awesome in and of themselves and can be fully realized if you have a good sound system (Sega CD puts out a pretty decent audio signal). I may be remembering wrong, but I think the Ecco CD games have additional levels as well. Always been a big fan of the original Ecco games.
Ow! My small intestine!
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

I've always been intrigued by the Terminator game on SCD, but haven't put more than a couple testing minutes into it. Anybody played that?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

TSTR wrote:I've always been intrigued by the Terminator game on SCD, but haven't put more than a couple testing minutes into it. Anybody played that?

no, but videos I've seen of gameplay reminds me of Blackthorne.