What's a good keyboard that wont empty my wallet?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ziggy

Re: What's a good keyboard that wont empty my wallet?

Post by Ziggy »

So my Logitech K120 began to feel mushy. I checked this thread, I got it in June of 2014. That's not bad, about a year and a half. But I don't wanna have to get a new one every year and a half, even if they are only $12.

I took the plunge and decided to buy the Corsair K70 with the Cherry MX Brown keys. I'm typing on it right now for the first time. Everything about it feels great.

I went ahead and purchased a set of o-ring dampeners too. I know I type really hard (probably from years of using shitty keyboards) most of the time. I installed the dampeners before I even plugged the keyboard in. :lol: I was doing with and without tests as I was installing the dampeners on all the keys. I'm glad I got them. The keys don't feel a whole lot different with them on, and it makes them a lot more quiet. The only difference you actually feel is if you're hammering away, the impact doesn't feel quite as hard. Otherwise, if you're typing softly, you can't really tell they're on there (aside from the bottoming out noise).

I'm not gonna bother reviewing the keyboard here and just repeating what every one has said a million times in reviews on Amazon, NewEgg, etc. But I will say this: The K70 really is well built. It's very solid feeling. I don't regret making the purchase.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

Now you got me looking at keyboards, despite being happy with my old model m.

I want a combination of the strafe and the k70. I want the aluminum casing, but I actually don't want the dedicated multimedia keys. Also I see no need for any backlighting, but that can be turned off I'm sure.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

KalessinDB wrote:Now you got me looking at keyboards, despite being happy with my old model m.

I want a combination of the strafe and the k70. I want the aluminum casing, but I actually don't want the dedicated multimedia keys. Also I see no need for any backlighting, but that can be turned off I'm sure.

Yeah, there's 3 settings for the LEDs. All on, all off (I wouldn't have bought it if this wasn't possible) and user selected. Personally, I wish Corsair made a version of the K70 with no LEDs that was cheaper. That's the model I would have bought.

The multimedia keys are seamlessly added to the traditional keyboard layout. I don't care for such features either, but they placed them where there is normally empty space so it's no bother. I have no problem forgetting that they're even there. There's no dual function keys, they don't distract at all.

The K70 is $130 MSRP. They should really make a model with out the LEDs and multimedia keys. I bet without that extra hardware it would be $100 or less. Market it as the K70 Lite or something.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

Good to know. I'm also a die hard clicky fan, so the Blues are sounding like my jam, which necessitates the K70... But this is all absent thought for when I rebuild a desktop, which won't be for a while what with my upcoming move.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Ziggy587 wrote:The multimedia keys are seamlessly added to the traditional keyboard layout. I don't care for such features either, but they placed them where there is normally empty space so it's no bother. I have no problem forgetting that they're even there. There's no dual function keys, they don't distract at all.

I don't think I've ever used the multimedia keys per se, but the volume control is excellent, and I use that all the time.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

It doesn't look like it, but the volume wheel is actually really nice to use. I would use it a lot more often (probably 99% of the time) if there was an on screen display for the volume level. I'm surprised the non-RGB version of the keyboard doesn't have any software beyond drivers. Well, it has "software" on the Corsair site, but it appears (to me) to just be software to update the keyboard's firmware. Volume OSD would be superb.

And actually, if you choose to not hide the volume display in the system tray you can sorta use that. The little speaker icon has three lines, and it's something like this: No lines is 0%, 1 line is anything from 1% to maybe 33%? 2 lines is 33-66%? And 3 lines is anything over 66%. At least you can see clearly if it's mute or not, but it's not very useful for a visual indicator of the volume leve (3 lines is anywhere between 66 and 100%, that's full volume versus almost HALF volume!). Windows should have an option to change it to percentage, then I'd be all set. Why do billion dollar companies never think of all the little things like this?
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Are you still using Windows 7 or something? 8 and on have an on-screen volume meter (in percent) that pops up when you use the volume control on the K70 (or buttons on a laptop, tablet, etc). Upper left of the screen.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Yep, I'm on Win7. I guess that explains why Corsair was too lazy to make the software to do that, since Win8 and up already has it. Damn.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

A mechanical keyboard for $38, you would assume it cheap garbage but I assure you it's not!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWLIRSC/re ... UTF8&psc=1

Normally, I wouldn't risk my own money on such a thing, but I got this keyboard for myself at work. I was very surprised out how well built it is, and how wonderful it feels, with only a $40 price tag. There's more color options, including back lit ones, but I got the standard black one since it's for work. I know I've said before in this thread, but I like my keyboard to be a traditional layout with no frills, no extra keys, ect. It's unfortunate that most mechanical keyboards are aimed at gamers, and most are kinda pricey. I was very happy to find this one, as it would be hard to convince my job to buy me a $120 Corsair K70 "gaming" keyboard.

If anyone is looking for a mechanical keyboard on a budget, I highly recommend this one. I've only used it for a day so far, but since I will be pounding away at it for several hours 5 days a week, I will put it through it's paces. I will report back in this thread if anything happens to it.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Oh man, how have I never seen this thread before? I've been extra lucky this month with keyboards, and I have a bunch to post about in the near future. Do we have a dedicated thread for mechanical keyboards, or is this the de facto official thread?