The DOOM Thread

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Ziggy

Re: The DOOM Thread

Post by Ziggy »

emwearz wrote:Really enjoying it, but man they relay on time related switch and switches that open stuff off in the distance far too much. Every level you end up doing a lap of the map to see what I switch did.

Yes, that could be very annoying at times. Hit a switch, then go find out what that just did. Some of the levels have monitors next to switches, that if you go up to and press the action button you can view what the switch just opened.

I really enjoyed playing through DOOM 64, but one thing I really don't like is the reload animations for both shotguns. Compared to DOOM 2, the shotgun reload animations in DOOM 64 make it feel like you're playing a really good fan made game instead of an official release. It also takes a while to get the timing down for the double barrel, since you don't have any visual cue to go off off.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I played Doom 64 thinking it was a port of the original. I didn't imagine they will create a Doom specifically just for one console, not even the dominant one of its generation either.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

They did that with multiple N64 games. Quake 2 has a completely different set of maps from the PC release and so does Forsaken 64 (though it does share a handful of boss levels).
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I'm trying out DOOM 3 again. I'm only 2 hours in an already annoyed with it. I really want to like this game. And not just because it's a DOOM game. It definitely has atmosphere. And although I'm not a fan of jump scares, it's a pretty scary game. I was never a fan of juggling the flash light and weapon, but even with the duck tape mod (I'm playing the BFG Edition) it still adds tension because of the flash light's power meter. You always run out of juice at the worst possible moment. There's so many pitch black areas in the game, it really feels like you're playing a horror movie.

But the combat fucking sucks. I just HATE how enemies are never stunned when you shoot them, but YOU get jolted worse than any other game when you get it. It just makes the game play so frustrating! And not frustrating because it's hard, but just because I find it to be so stupid that you can empty a clip into an enemy's torso and they don't flinch. And while you're pumping bullets into them, they shot you and jolt you so you get off target. It's just plain bad combat. It makes me not want to play the game.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

When I played Doom3 over a decade ago I felt it was an ok game, not bad but bland with nothing special(AFAIK), didn’t understand the hate. After completing Doom, I see exactly why the fan base were very upset. I am only guessing the developers were betting on the atmosphere scare over run-n-gun scare which is a reasonable argument for the era of 2003.

One thing I didn't get the criticism for is the dark areas, Doom II has a lot of completely dark areas I actually fire bullets so i can see where I am going.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Which version you playing Ziggy? Flashlight toggle or BFG version with it on while shooting?

I need to revisit it. Actually have BFG in my ebay watchlist right now. I only own the OG Xbox version currently. I honestly get burnt out about 2/3 way through.

My Retro Achievements | Games Beaten 2023 & 2024 |
xJAGOx = Xbox Gamertag | Console Mods
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Yep, I'm playing the BFG Edition. I had the original version back in the day when it was new. I don't recall finding the flash light thing to be annoying, but I know I would definitely find that annoying today.

I really want to finish the game just so I can say that I did at least once, but I just find the combat to be so bad. I love what they did with the creepy atmosphere and jump scares. They just should have made fighting actually fun to play.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Downtown in Doom II is the worst map yet. Difficult, complex, causes a headache, and random encounters. Its like one of those movies where you are stuck some deathtrap maze and have to make it out alive. I might have spent up to 1 hour or more on that map.
Melek-Ric
32-bit

Post by Melek-Ric »

I've got a confession; I haven't beaten DOOM Eternal yet. I got it on release, played thru the campaign on Ultra-violence until the very last boss fight. I haven't bothered to comeback to finish the boss in over a month. I'll beat it eventually, but I'm not compelled to. I like the game, don't regret getting it, but it's a big disappointment to me compared to 2016. I hope of the DLC is better than the campaign and that they add Deathmatch in a future update.

Also, I'm still annoyed Amazon didn't give me a code for DOOM 64 since I pre-order the game. I understand there's a pandemic going on, but I pre-ordered the game almost 2 years before it was released.
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I am playing Sigil after beating doom II, I got to M2. This game is black, not dark, like walking in black. For me to move around I am trial-and-error-ing my steps and the same goes for the enemies, I just shoot at the dark guessing there might be an enemy there. Is it like this or am I doing something wrong?