What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Michi
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by Michi »

More shorts:

Unlawful Duties

Two police officers are sent out to check on a possible drug disturbance, but end up finding evidence of something far more disturbing.

This one has a lot of very strong visuals, and it started with a decent story. But then it got to the end and pulled a 'twist' and honestly, I don't feel that it works all that well. The title, the tagline of "To be lawful, sometimes requires to be unlawful", and the ending, seems to be trying to suggest that sometimes even crappy cops do the right thing, or maybe even that they do the wrong thing for the right reasons. But if that's what they were going for, then I beg to differ. Because they don't do the right thing. They end up doing the emotional thing. So they end up doing the wrong thing for the wrong reasons, and in the end I'm not really sure what the message is the filmmakers are trying to convey.

Oh well, though. At least it was nice to look at.
TheSSNintendo
128-bit

Post by TheSSNintendo »

Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Goltzius and the Pelican Company - One of the most exhausting films I've seen with its strange style and how it goes hog wild on it, but it is a fantastic example of how to treat digital art as a different medium.

The Empty Man - The first 20 minutes is top-tier horror. It has a super silly plot, is twist dependent, and can be meandering, but the atmosphere more than makes up for it.

Aloha - The one true Pynchon adaptation
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

More shorts!

Cucu

A husband falls asleep after he and his wife have an argument on the way home from a party. When they get home, he takes his infant son upstairs, only to soon realize that something is very, very wrong....

I liked this one. It's very short horror short (only 8 minutes) and open ended, but unlike Unlawful Duties, the ending makes sense in the context of the subtext of this film, so I'll let it slide. Plus the cinematography is pretty nice, and the effects aren't too bad, too. So bonus!

Taken In

A man gets the cops called on him after he breaks a dish making dinner and swears up a storm. Seems a tipster called in a possible domestic disturbance. The man lets her in to investigate, but as they walk through the house their cagey and evasive responses to each other start to make them suspicious of one another.

I liked this one. It's a very well put together mystery/thriller, which is impressive considering it's length and that there are only two people involved. My only complaint is that I don't think that the metaphor regarding the cat worked as well as they were hoping. But other than that, I thought it was pretty good, and I definitely appreciated that it went in a different direction than I thought it would. I like mystery/thrillers that don't purposefully try to traumatize me with the ending. It's a nice change of pace.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Obviously not to be confused with the humorous Snow White film starring Julia Roberts, this creepy 1990 horror flick follows a young goth girl who becomes drawn to an antique mirror possessing dark powers that she finds in her new home.

It's definitely a product of its time, given how an oversaturation of slashers in the early '80s led to horror films in the late '80s/early '90s leaning away from predictable Friday the 13th clones and towards more the surreal, the supernatural and in many instances more mature and taboo subjects.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Kramer vs Kramer

its not bad, its just there is not much of a story going on. can't tell why it got the 7.8/10 rating on IMDB. Maybe it was dealing with social issues for its time of release.
Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

I once saw Kramer vs. Kramer with Kramer himself, bizarrely enough. No, not Dustin Hoffman or Meryl Streep, or even Michael Richards, but the guy who played the little kid in the movie. The theater near me sometimes shows older movies and brings in people that are somehow connected to the movie to introduce the film. I doubt too many people showed up just to see the great Justin Henry, but there he was. He seemed very nice though, and unlike all the other personalities I've seen introduce movies like that, he actually sat down and watched the whole thing with us.
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

thats pretty cool to watch the film with someone who was involved in making it, but I feel like its painful to them as they have already watched it a lot of times already. Kind of like reading your own 400 page story.
Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

Yeah that's why everyone else I've seen introduce a movie like that leaves after the movie starts. This guy had friends with him and just wanted to see the film again. I'm sure he didn't get paid any extra for watching the movie.
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

I saw Troll 2 in a theater in Atlanta years ago. My wife and I sat behind some seats marked "reserved." A man and two teenage girls ended up sitting there.

After the movie I realized that it was the guy who played the dad in the movie. He's a dentist, or, at least, was back then. He may be retired now.

I also sat on the second row, right behind Walter Day and Steve Sanders. They said they hadn't seen the movie in years, and never together, so they whispered to each other a lot during it. I couldn't hear any of it, though, and didn't really try to eavesdrop. Billy Mitchell did not stay in the theater during the showing, but I left during the first few minutes of the film to find him hanging out in the lobby and got to talk to him for a few minutes. He gave me a comemorative bottle of hot sauce that I still have. I think they were give away a bunch of bottles, but it turned out they weren't allowed to based upon some rules about commercial promotion at the Smithsonian or something like that, so I think I was the only person who got one. It was cool to meet him and shake his hand, but I could tell he didn't want to hang out and talk, so I went back into the theater to my excellend seat.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii