What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by Raging Justice »

Police Story 3 a.k.a. Super Cop - Uncut version

Okay, I've watched the first three PS movies now and this may be my favorite of the trilogy. I'm not sure it tops the previous ones as far as the martial arts choreography goes though to be fair. As always, these are just my thoughts after an initial viewing. Sometimes you feel differently about a film after you re-watch it. I really like the alternate title for this movie, Super Cop. I actually would rather call this the Super Cop series than Police Story quite honestly. Interesting note, the Hong Kong Rescue release features a hybrid audio track that has the original language audio along with the supposedly superior sound effects from the English dub. I opted to watch the movie this way.

So this movie is your typical undercover type story line where Jackie has to infiltrate a criminal organization by pretending to be a criminal himself. He is a Hong Kong cop though and this was a Chinese operation, so he gets a Chinese agent to assist him in this operation.

So on that note, the real selling point of this movie to me is Michelle Yeoh, a legend within this genre of movies. It's nice after two movies to finally see Jackie get a partner, and not just any partner, but one as equally badass as he is. Michelle Yeoh has some great scenes where she gets to show off her fighting abilities and she even has a few crazy stunts, which was a nice surprise as I'm used to Jackie doing all of the crazy stunts. She even has one stunt that feels like a call back to the first Police Story, where she's essentially replacing Jackie's role. Michelle Yeoh is TOUGH. Look at the stunt in the gif below:

Right after that brutal landing, she falls off of the car, and rolls down the street. The stunts overall in this movie are pretty great with Jackie doing crazy shit like this:

As is typical with Jackie's movies, there's some comedy bits involving him and Michelle as well. Some of the best bits are when the two of them are working together and lots of mishaps occur due to neither one of them being used to working with a partner. I loved this because it's completely believable. You don't just develop cohesion with someone over night. Plus, both of them are trying to overcome their own egos with Jackie in particular feeling like he doesn't need her help. Overall though, I felt that there was fewer comedy in this one than the previous two. In fact, it kind of feels like with each new installment we get a bit less comedy as the series seems to gradually get more and more serious, but I enjoyed the little bit of comedy that I got from this one though.

This is the movie where I felt like I was finally sick of Jackie's girlfriend. I didn't mind her in the last two, but in this one we see her once again having an emotional overreaction to something, which is kind of the norm for her character. Three movies in, and that finally started irritating me a bit. Also, she does something completely boneheaded in this movie that really annoyed me a lot. I'm ready for her to be written out of these movies at this point. She gets less screen time overall than in the previous two movies, and I didn't feel like the movie suffered as a result. When she actually WAS onscreen, she was kind of annoying. Frankly, given how cool all of Jackie's scenes with Michelle Yeoh were, his girlfriend just seemed to get in the way when she gets brought into the story.

The rest of the characters are great. There's one cop character from the first two movies noticeably missing in this one for some reason. I kind of missed him.

So overall, this was a fun movie with some great action and stunts. No part of the movie dragged on for me or lost my interest and I think this is the first of the Police Story movies I've seen that I can say that about. This one has pretty good pacing. If there is one flaw it's that the movie doesn't have any particular fight that really stands out. There aren't really any badass fighters to truly test Jackie or Michelle Yeoh in this movie, most of the fights are them just taking on generic thugs. However, there is a bit more gun play here than the previous two movies which I enjoyed. It was nice to just see Jackie shooting people for a change instead of punching and kicking everyone like most of his movies. One section of the movie plays out like something from a Rambo movie with a lot of fire fights and explosions and Jackie and Michelle getting caught up in the middle of it all. This is where the aforementioned, "mishaps" occur as well. Nice mix of great action and laughs here.

I hope the remaining Police Story movies are this awesome. I want to see these two paired up again. I also am aware that Michelle Yeoh has some cop movies of her own that I look forward to watching. This movie is an easy thumbs up. As much as I love Jackie Chan, I feel like it's even MORE fun when I get to see movies where he is co-starring with other people. Jackie's career was great not just because HE was great, but also because he surrounded himself with other people who were great too.
Last edited by Raging Justice on Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

The Wolf of Snow Hollow was the perfect parody of those square face, huge jaw, alpha male lead type of films. A comedic horror with a cop that's incredibly oblivious and inept. It has a great tone to it, and definitely huge kudos to Jim Cummings for doing so many aspects of the film.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Watching revenge of the nerds 2 and thinking Barry Sobel should've been a Beastie Boy.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Police Story 4 - Uncut version

Wow, Policy Story 4 a.k.a. Jackie Chan's First Strike may have the most creative action of all the entries I've seen so far. Underwater fighting, a crazy fight involving a ladder, Jackie Chan fighting on stilts, a skiing/snowboarding sequence, a battle against two literal giants. Jesus, this movie's action is just crazy. There's some fun use of local wildlife in this movie too with sharks, seals, koala bears. On top of all that Jackie puts in some of his best comedic work here. I was actually a bit surprised at how much they amped up the comedy in this one, compared to the last two installments. it's almost at the level of the Armour of God movies. First Strike is frequently taking the piss. Jackie is really at his best in this movie. It really showcases everything he is capable of to a T.

I honestly feel like this series really turned a corner once the directorial duties changed in Policy Story 3. Both that movie and this one really shook things up in this series and are leagues better than the first two in my opinion. One thing I love is how Jackie gets taken out of his comfort zone in both of these movies with PS 3 taking him out of Hong Kong. In First Strike he's just all over the place popping up in a variety of locations, with Jackie being in all of these places he's kind of a fish out of water and that kind of awkwardness really suits his comic antics perfectly.

With Jackie traveling around so much, we also get a LOT of English speaking in this movie even if you don't choose to watch the English dub. There's a mix of scenes where Jackie is speaking English and others where he's speaking Chinese (or is it Mandarin?) and other characters are going back and forth with English, Mandarin, Russian...there's just a whole hodgepodge of languages in this one. If I can make one criticism, it's that some character's lines could be hard to understand as there are moments where you're hearing people speak English and it's clearly not their native tongue. That includes Jackie too in some scenes. Actually, I feel like some of the English lines were dubbed in. I usually hate that sort of thing, but I don't think there is any version of this movie without some English dialog in it. This one is just more international than the previous Police Story movies so there's no avoiding the mix of languages.

Really fun movie, not flawless though. I already mentioned some issues with the different languages being used and the English speaking being a bit clunky at times. Also, the plot sends Jackie back and forth from place to place like a roller coaster ride and there are many characters getting screen time, so the movie can be a bit hard to follow at times with a lot going on, but it all makes sense in the end. Also, while the underwater fights are a lot of fun, that part of the movie maybe drags on a little longer than it needs to. I also miss Michelle Yeoh, but I heard they did a spin off from Police Story 3 called Super Cop 2 with her in it. That may be the next movie I watch. I also wanna watch Rumble in the Bronx, which I've seen before, but I'm itching to see it again. I posted a thread once about a youtube channel that did an amazing mash up of that movie with Streets of Rage 2 that you can see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnRDPt4j5pw

Worth a watch if you're a fan of the movie, Streets or Rage 2, or both. You won't regret it. And on the subject of games, I really need to see whatever the hell movie this is from:

Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

Raging Justice wrote:And on the subject of games, I really need to see whatever the hell movie this is from:

That little gem of a clip is from City Hunter. I think that scene is still the most game-accurate Street Fighter portrayal to date.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Yeah, that scene alone makes City Hunter worth watching.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Was City Hunter that unlicensed Street Fighter movie from the early 90s? The one with time travel?
marurun

Post by marurun »

REPO Man wrote:Was City Hunter that unlicensed Street Fighter movie from the early 90s? The one with time travel?

City Hunter was a popular Manga series that was turned into an anime and was popular enough in southeast Asia outside Japan that Jackie Chan starred in a movie based on it.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Turns out I'm thinking of Future Cops.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

So if you're interested in Asian Action Cinema, there's this cool little youtube channel called Wu Tang Collection:

https://www.youtube.com/c/WuTangCollectionDope/about

They upload full movies for free, though it's kind of rare, cult status stuff, and older movies. You're not likely to find anything modern or mainstream on there. Still, it has fun content, and this is a retro site after all. They also have a website:

https://www.thewutangcollection.com/