Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ziggy

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by Ziggy »

Maybe it was just my luck of the draw, but I've had more issues with Dreamcasts reading discs than any other retro disc based console.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

RCBH928 wrote:maybe the cd is scratched?

Should've mentioned it in my post, but the discs don't have any scratches. The two games I mentioned were originally purchased at retail around launch and don't show much wear.

Ziggy587 wrote:Maybe it was just my luck of the draw, but I've had more issues with Dreamcasts reading discs than any other retro disc based console.

That's rough! I recently read about Dreamcasts needing their lasers recalibrated (a detailed article can be seen here: https://retro-hack.blogspot.com/2010/06 ... guide.html). Wondering if my console's laser is having a similar issue.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

I read an interesting tip over in the Support section of the Dreamcast Talk forum. A user there mentioned he noticed a glitch in certain games where if he was starting up the Dreamcast with a VMU that was full, it would prevent certain games from booting up.

So I tried both Evolution: The World of Sacred Device and Sonic Adventure without a VMU and with a VMU that had a sufficient amount of space remaining. Well, that tip managed to work for Evolution! It booted up just fine with both no VMU and a VMU with a good amount of memory available.

However, Sonic Adventure still didn't work, so this is the one game I'm having an issue with.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Is it an early copy of Sonic Adventure? There were some problematic pressings of that title and a few others.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Yeah. You mentioned you have 20 or so other games that never give you a problem loading. So that would point to the problem being with Sonic Adventure.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Yeah, it's an early pressing of Sonic Adventure, as I got the console and game about two months after release. I always had an issue with the disc not working after a certain point in the game, but it used to at least load up.

I may try to get the Sega All-stars version of Sonic Adventure, which I've read didn't suffer from the same issue.
opa
Next-Gen

Post by opa »

Every video game youtube video thumbnail now:
-some guy's face
-TEXT EXPLOSION
-random emoji
-**video may or may not contain gameplay footage
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

YouTube has been going down hill for sure. The algorithm chasing I find annoying, which is manifested in those thumbnails.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

All went down hill after a vaporwave image was the thumbnail of choice:
Found this the other day - peak 2009 Youtube video:
ImagePro Speedrun - Scrap Brain Zone Act 2 in 10:45
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Good lord, the FFVII Rebirth demo is almost 50GB. And they adding more to it later this month!