Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by RCBH928 »

This compressing-uncompressing on the fly stuff is interesting. Programmers have such out of the box ideas.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I am playing Cannon Fodder via DOSbox on MacOS. The mouse pointer is too fast and jittery. Anyone know a fix? I remember I played Theme Park and it was running fast, someone said its some bug that makes the game run faster or something like that.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

RCBH928 wrote:I am playing Cannon Fodder via DOSbox on MacOS. The mouse pointer is too fast and jittery. Anyone know a fix? I remember I played Theme Park and it was running fast, someone said its some bug that makes the game run faster or something like that.

I'd recommend you grab this instead:

https://github.com/OpenFodder/openfodder

And then add " --columns 22 --rows 15" to the shortcut's run command. The DOS version of Cannon Fodder has a restricted window due to the difference in resolution between DOS and Amiga, but the game's logic is still based around the Amiga resolution, which means you get sniped by offscreen enemies. OpenFodder lets you fix that by manually setting the window size through the parameters I mentioned earlier. That'll also make the mouse cursor handle better.

Generally when some component of a DOS game goes too fast it's due to the game being written to have all its timing being based on clock cycles, so a machine twice as fast would make the game logic occur twice as often. The solution is to set a fixed cycles count in your Dosbox config; look for the [cpu] section.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
opa
Next-Gen

Post by opa »

>paging Bone

I just learned Phalanx doesn't have a banjo player on the japanese box art. This saddens me greatly.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

opa wrote:>paging Bone

I just learned Phalanx doesn't have a banjo player on the japanese box art. This saddens me greatly.

Lol, this is news to me too. The cover art on the SFC version is pretty awesome though.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Yeah I've known about the big wang ship for awhile now. :lol:
marurun

Post by marurun »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Yeah I've known about the big wang ship for awhile now. :lol:

You chose old banjo man over a big wang ship? Do I even know who you are?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

ok thanks that was a very specific solution, I don't mean to sound stupid, but how do I make this work on MacOS?? My game is from GOG and is packaged with DosBox to play. The demo thing that works in the browser actually works better than the game I bought.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

RCBH928 wrote:ok thanks that was a very specific solution, I don't mean to sound stupid, but how do I make this work on MacOS?? My game is from GOG and is packaged with DosBox to play. The demo thing that works in the browser actually works better than the game I bought.

Download Open Fodder. The install program will ask you to point to the folder that has your Cannon Fodder data. It will do so several times, one for each version of Cannon Fodder. So you will want to cancel out when it's asking for Amiga Cannon Fodder, and then pick your GOG Cannon Fodder folder when it asks for DOS Cannon Fodder. Then find the shortcut it creates and add those two options to it; I'm not sure the specific flow for that on MacOS.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

MrPopo wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:ok thanks that was a very specific solution, I don't mean to sound stupid, but how do I make this work on MacOS?? My game is from GOG and is packaged with DosBox to play. The demo thing that works in the browser actually works better than the game I bought.

Download Open Fodder. The install program will ask you to point to the folder that has your Cannon Fodder data. It will do so several times, one for each version of Cannon Fodder. So you will want to cancel out when it's asking for Amiga Cannon Fodder, and then pick your GOG Cannon Fodder folder when it asks for DOS Cannon Fodder. Then find the shortcut it creates and add those two options to it; I'm not sure the specific flow for that on MacOS.

thanks for the help!