Together Retro: Secret of Monkey Island

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Scooter
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Secret of Monkey Island

Post by Scooter »

I'm playing the Sega version and I can report that I am REAL sick of load times by now. I've dug up the treasure and won the sword battle, I just need to get in to see the Governor but can't get past the damn dogs. I've fed them a lot but I must need something else.

I've also noticed that the background music seems to come and go, it isn't playing all the time especially when travelling from location to location. I don't know if this is normal for the Sega CD version or not. The disc looks really nice except for a few concentric scratches in one spot about the size of my little finger fingernail. Also, when I have verbal responses to make and the choices are too many to fit on one screen, making a choice is VERY tedious and slow and takes multiple pushes of the D-pad. I'm using a ver. 1 Genesis and SCD1 but those are what was out when the game was issued. I guess I could try it in my CDX to see if anything works better. I also have a SCD2 I bought new which works just great. I did have to replace the fuse on the $10 SCD1 I'm using so maybe it has other hidden abuse related damage. I also plan to have the disc resufaced to see if that helps. The game never locks up or crashes, it's just the issues mentioned above.

The sound issue kind of sucks too because when I do get background music it sounds pretty good.
Ow! My small intestine!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I used to have it for SCD and remember it being super slow, and yes I remember the music coming and going. I believe that it's because SCD read the files from the disc as actual CD Tracks. So if the track ends, it won't restart, it will just wait for an event that triggers a new track to start.
Scooter
Next-Gen

Post by Scooter »

noiseredux wrote:I used to have it for SCD and remember it being super slow, and yes I remember the music coming and going. I believe that it's because SCD read the files from the disc as actual CD Tracks. So if the track ends, it won't restart, it will just wait for an event that triggers a new track to start.

Good to know.
Ow! My small intestine!
executioner
Next-Gen

Post by executioner »

Just started playing on the Wii with ScummVM.
Consoles: NES, Famicom, SNES, GC, GB DMG, GB Pocket, GBC, GBA, DSI XL, N64, VBoy, NDS, 3DSXL, Wii, SMS, GEN+CD+32X, GG, SAT, DC, WS, WS Color, NGPC, XBOX, 360, PS1, PSone, PS2, PSP, PS3, 3DO, CD-I, NGCD, Actionmax, TG16+CD, TE, PCE-DUO, Odyssey2, Playdia, 2600, Lynx & JAG.
RadarScope1
Next-Gen

Post by RadarScope1 »

I also just started on SCUMMVM (thanks bit torrent!) and haven't gotten far. Won't ask for any hints yet, but I will ask: is there any order that the first three tasks must be completed in? Or can they all be done more or less independently?
Daniel Primed
64-bit

Post by Daniel Primed »

I haven't finished any of the three tasks yet, getting closer though. And no, I don't believe you need to finish them in any set order, since you need all three to proceed.

I forgot how clever the writing is in this title. Although I have played a good chunk of this game before (and hence remember the puzzles but not how to solve them >_<), the writing still makes me chuckle. The illustrations and animatons too have impressed me too.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

RadarScope1 wrote:I also just started on SCUMMVM (thanks bit torrent!) and haven't gotten far. Won't ask for any hints yet, but I will ask: is there any order that the first three tasks must be completed in? Or can they all be done more or less independently?

Any order is fine.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Okay, so I'm on Part 3 now -- meaning I've actually set foot on Monkey Island itself. The Jr. High version of me is very impressed with the late 20's version of me.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

Are there Easy and Hard modes in any versions of Monkey Island 1?

I know that at least the floppy disc version of Monkey Island 2 has two difficulty settings, but the CD-ROM version from whichever LucasArts Archives collection included it doesn't. And I seem to recall Monkey Island 3 having two difficulty settings. Not sure about Monkey Island 4, as I didn't find it that memorable and never finished it.

Unfortunately, those games are part of my family's collection, and we think they got loaned out and never returned, so I can't check.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
Ack

Post by Ack »

Nah, I'm pretty sure there weren't any difficulty modes. I've beaten Monkey Island multiple times, so i think it's pretty funny watching everybody play through it and remembering where you all are. What with grad. school back in full swing, I'm kinda upset I can't join you.