Together Retro Grows--Two Games at Once!

Join in on our classic gaming club!
ott0bot
Next-Gen

Post by ott0bot »

awesome....i voted. it was fun.
raztat
128-bit

Post by raztat »

super mario rpg, or n e snes rpg, i have alot of them i need to play.
ott0bot
Next-Gen

Post by ott0bot »

If Terranigma wins I have a few questions.

1) Will the PAL version work in a US system without a Hrz switch?

2) Will you get lost in the Japanese version if you don't read the language? Is the story really good?

3) Is there any way to emulate on a Mac? I may have it on Dream SNES for DC...but it plays so crappy it's not worth it.

I've always wanted to play it...but wasn't sure the best way to go.

thanks
fox099
64-bit

Post by fox099 »

ott0bot wrote:If Terranigma wins I have a few questions.

2) Will you get lost in the Japanese version if you don't read the language? Is the story really good?

3) Is there any way to emulate on a Mac? I may have it on Dream SNES for DC...but it plays so crappy it's not worth it.

thanks

Responses:
1) You need a 50/60 hz switch to run on a US system. They are very easy to install, and if you are apprehensious about installing it yourself I am sure that someone would do it for you.

2) Terranigma is extremely story driven. In order to proceed through the game it requires a great deal of dialog with the NPCs, as well as taking orders well. Additionally you will miss many of the plot subtleties if you dont understand the language. Honestly, the story is that good.

3) SNES9x works on mac wonderfully. Additionally, it has support for controllers, so if you have an adapter you can play it as it was meant to be played.

The best way to play is with the original cart, but they can run upwards of 70 to 100 dollars. Emulation is a good bet, but there is just something about playing it on the SNES that is truly divine.

A word for the wise: Terranigma has some amazing 3D scenes, and what I believe to be the best sprites on the SNES. Its a true masterpiece that I dont think enough people will ever play!
Consoles Owned: Nintendo SNES, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GBA, Sony PSX, PS2, PS3, Sega Master, Microsoft XBox
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

So essentially, unless you have money to burn and read Japanese fluently, you'll be emulating it :)
ott0bot
Next-Gen

Post by ott0bot »

fox099 wrote:
ott0bot wrote:If Terranigma wins I have a few questions.

thanks

Responses:
1) You need a 50/60 hz switch to run on a US system. They are very easy to install, and if you are apprehensious about installing it yourself I am sure that someone would do it for you.

2) Terranigma is extremely story driven. In order to proceed through the game it requires a great deal of dialog with the NPCs, as well as taking orders well. Additionally you will miss many of the plot subtleties if you dont understand the language. Honestly, the story is that good.

3) SNES9x works on mac wonderfully. Additionally, it has support for controllers, so if you have an adapter you can play it as it was meant to be played.

The best way to play is with the original cart, but they can run upwards of 70 to 100 dollars. Emulation is a good bet, but there is just something about playing it on the SNES that is truly divine.

A word for the wise: Terranigma has some amazing 3D scenes, and what I believe to be the best sprites on the SNES. Its a true masterpiece that I dont think enough people will ever play!

Thanks...thats exactly what I was thinking. but I didn't know there was a decent snes emualtor for MAC's. I'll take a look for SNES9x. I've got a controller for mame....its sorta ps2-ish with a nice d-pad.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

ott0bot wrote:Thanks...thats exactly what I was thinking. but I didn't know there was a decent snes emualtor for MAC's. I'll take a look for SNES9x. I've got a controller for mame....its sorta ps2-ish with a nice d-pad.

A nice d-pad isn't really key for jRPGs, keys would work about as well ;) But as you use for MAME, cool that it has one.
8BitMagic
16-bit

Post by 8BitMagic »

Phantasy star II or Phantasy star IV!

edit: just got Xenogears so now i am stoked for that.
Last edited by 8BitMagic on Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ott0bot
Next-Gen

Post by ott0bot »

Finally loaded SNES9x on my iMac. It looks amazing on my monitor. It works great except it only supports the usb SNES contollers. I don't one one yet so action games and shmups are pretty tricky for me. I need to pick up a snes usb controller to fully enjoy it anyway.

thanks for the tip fox099!
Burban

Post by Burban »

This is my first time posting here; found this site by reading your review on Snatcher and got me playing it :] Thank you for that -greatest adventure game. I dunno if you'll have enough time for this RPG, but if you could, I'd suggest Dragon Warrior (Quest) VII for the PSX. It's a bit underground as not many people have played it, but it has a very good storyline to it (its really woven up of multiple storylines), and I'll easily say that its the best RPG I've played. And its in English. yey