Top __ Lists. Share your Top 5s or 10s of anything you want!

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ziggy

Re: Top __ Lists. Share your Top 5s or 10s of anything you w

Post by Ziggy »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:The Living Daylights is a bold choice!

Is it? I really like Dalton as Bond, so at least one of his movies had to make my list. And I like Daylights more than LTK. I think a bolder choice on my list is A View to a Kill. People tend to hate on this one pretty bad because Roger Moore is way too old and it's a stunt double for half the movie. Well, those two facts weren't very apparent when I use to watch this film on VHS. It's painfully obvious now that I watch it on BD. But as a kid, Roger Moore was my favorite Bond and this was my favorite Moore Bond flick, and his age and stunt double weren't as noticeable on VHS. I mean, I realized that he was MUCH older looking than Live and Let Die, but it just didn't look as bad on VHS as it does on BD.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I think Roger Moore might be my favorite Bond as well, which is a very unpopular opinion. He's more the gentleman spy than the special agent.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I have none of those. :(

You haven’t really lived until you’ve played Swamp Thing on the NES... :lol:

Moore is one of my favorite Bonds too. The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker are classics, and the rest of his movies aren’t bad either. Lazenby is the most consistent Bond, since the one bond movie he made is pretty great. Craig is probably the most consistent after that since even his bad movies (e.g., Quantum of Solace) are still pretty good.

Top Seven Bond Actors
1. Craig
2. Connery
3. Moore
4. Lazenby
5. Brosnan
6. Dalton
7. Niven
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

marurun wrote:I think Roger Moore might be my favorite Bond as well, which is a very unpopular opinion. He's more the gentleman spy than the special agent.

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Moore is one of my favorite Bonds too. The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker are classics, and the rest of his movies aren’t bad either.

Moore's Bond gets all the hate because some of the movies got a little too silly. His movies are definitely a lot more lighthearted, and I'm willing to admit that it's probably why I liked them the most as a kid. It's really the laser fight in space at the end of Moonraker that gives the Moore Bond films the silly stamp. But you know what? Aside from a few stupidly silly moments (Jaws pulling the steering wheel off the boat, the pidgin doing the double look while Bond rides his car/boat in the streets) and obviously the space laser fight, Moonraker is a pretty solid movie. There's really nothing THAT silly in the rest of Moore's films.

People like to hate on the clown costume in Octopussy, which I never understand. The plot of that movie is a little all over the place, but it's otherwise a pretty solid Bond flick. The clown disguise is awesome because of the other 00 agent that gets killed in the beginning while wearing the same costume. OK, so it's a CLOWN, so a little silly inherently. But in the context of the movie it really isn't silly at all. And Octopussy has some of the best action sequences of any of the Moore films.

People like to use the Connery films as the gold standard, but ignore that fact that there's some really silly things in those movies too. Sure, Moonraker finally got Bond in space, but space wasn't a new concept to the Bond franchise. Dr. No is diverting Cape Canaveral space launches. You Only Live Twice is hijacking space crafts (something Moonraker also does) and Diamonds Are Forever is using a diamond powered laser gun in space to hold the world hostage. Speaking about laser guns, even Goldfinger (everyone's "favorite" Bond movie) has a gold powered laser gun. There's a lot of 60's campy feeling stuff going on. Perhaps the silliest thing to ever happen in a Bond film is Bond going undercover as a Japanese local, which makeup and a wig. That's WAY more silly than the clown disguise! There's really no one around to even fool with the disguise, and it disappears quickly anyway.

Anyway, my point being that the Moore films have some silly things going on but the Connery films do too. Even Moore's age in A View to a Kill. Well, Connery doesn't look nearly as good in Diamonds as he did as Bond previously. Hell, he might actually look better in Never Say Never Again than he does in Diamonds.

/rant
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Yes. Connery’s later Bond films are DIRE, and Moore really reinvigorated the franchise.
marurun

Post by marurun »

As much as I love Moore, I don't always love the silliness in Bond films. I like some camp, but sometimes it feels like it's carried just a touch too far. I think that's why I enjoyed the first Austin Powers so much. I think one of my favorite Bond films is actually On Her Majesty's Secret Service. While Lazenby isn't my favorite Bond, I think this film is just very well done, and the characters feel a bit more human.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

PretentiousHipster wrote:Paysage d'Hiver - Das Tor (2013)
Trist - Zrcadlení melancholie (2007)

Those are great records. Stunning melodic haze.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Because it is my favorite console to collect for...

My top 10 most valuable PS1 games

1. Persona
2. Suikoden II
3. Silent Hill
4. Einhander
5. Lunar 2 Eternal Blue Complete
6. Xenogears
7. Lunar Silver Star Story Complete
8. Resident Evil (Long Box)
9. Koudelka
10. Parasite Eve 2

I think I got Persona for around $40 just before Persona 5 dropped. That thing has skyrocketed in price! Suikoden II is disc/manual only but I made a reproduction case for it. Out of this top 10, Xenogears and Resident Evil are both copies that I purchased as a teen when they were new. Everything else was acquired in 2010 or later when I got back into console games. I posted about a few of them in the Finds thread.

Since getting a Satiator, I've been considering selling my Sega Saturn games to fund more PS1 games before they get even more expensive. It seems kind of silly to keep them on the shelf gathering dust when I don't use the discs anymore. I just can't bring myself to part with them yet.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I think my 10 most valuable Saturn games are, by and large, not especially rare or expensive, with only a couple exceptions.

1. Shining Force 3 (CIB) - Saturn
  2. Street Fighter Zero 3 (CIB) - Saturn
  3. Guardian Heroes (CIB)
  4. Akumajou Dracula X: SotN (CIB)
  5. Mega Man X4 (CIB)
  6. Sonic Jam (CIB)
  7. Sonic R (CIB)
  8. 3 Dirty Dwarves (CIB)
  9. Legend of Oasis (CIB)
  10. Panzer Dragoon II Zwei (CIB)
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Top Eight Animals

8. Chimpanzees
7. Shrimp
6. Ducks
5. Kangaroos
4. Dinosaurs
3. Cats
3. Dogs