Coronavirus pandemic - how are you affected?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
marurun

Re: Coronavirus pandemic - how are you affected?

Post by marurun »

I should have gotten the flu shot, too. But I'm VERY afraid of needles and I couldn't find the nasal vaccine. It purportedly works better this year than the year before last, but it's stupid hard to track down. Gonna have to buck up next year even if I can't find the nasal one.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I get the flu shot every year, but I am not afraid of shots. Just stick me already and get it done. Last time I had the flu, I spent a week groaning on the couch trying to watch Lucio Fulci horror films. While my incapacitated state made his movies that much more bizarre, I do not recommend this approach to anyone.

Pretentious, I know you have some health stuff but don't know (and won't ask since it isn't my business) about specifics. Either way, I wish you rest and to feel better soon.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Ack wrote:Pretentious, I know you have some health stuff but don't know (and won't ask since it isn't my business) about specifics. Either way, I wish you rest and to feel better soon.

It's some pretty severe mental health issues. I can go into detail if you want, but I'll just say I've spent time in the psych ward. I have to pick up my meds tomorrow but if there's a small chance I have the virus I don't know if I should go to a public place like that so I won't risk exposing it to other people. I'll try to see if my partner can pick them up for me. If there's no way to get them then the virus will be the least of my problems.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I also have to take controlled substances for mental health but have had my wife pick them up for me when I was sick. This was before we were married, but her info is listed on my pharmacy account, so if your partner is on yours, it should be fine.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Fortunately they're not controlled so I assume it shouldn't be an issue. However, I probably am on some sort of watchlist (my first suicide attempt was med overdose) because I never get more than a month's worth, and every time I pick up my meds they ask me what meds they are and what my address is.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Face masks were sold out every where, so I didn't have them for a construction job that I was doing. I've had a cold since Monday, but I'm just about over it. Pretty sure I got that cold because of all the dust I breathed in because I didn't have a mask. So, yes, I have been affected!
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

1 case just confirmed in my county, schools immediately are closed. We were one of the few counties remaining open around here anyway. What the hell are single parents supposed to do? Put your kids in a daycare which is the same thing?
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

Haven't had much to speak of around here. Though yesterday my wife and I went to the store just to grab some soda and witnessed panic buying in action. The place was overwhelmed and every line was 20-30 people deep, well into the aisles.

And since toilet paper was apparently sold out, most of these folks were buying paper towels instead. Ok then. Call me dumb, but I really, truly don't understand the toilet paper thing. If a symptom of the virus happened to be, say, violent diarrhea, it would make a lot more sense.

Overall I'm not thinking about it much on a personal level, but I do hope it doesn't spread too much around here. My dad is 70 and he's not frail or anything, but I'm still concerned about him catching it.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I think people's only response is to assume you do what you do in a hurricane. You know, the thing that literally tears up infrastructure? So they assume that various sundries will suddenly become unavailable. But that's not what's actually going to happen; the trucks can still drive on the roads, after all.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

MrPopo wrote:I think people's only response is to assume you do what you do in a hurricane. You know, the thing that literally tears up infrastructure? So they assume that various sundries will suddenly become unavailable. But that's not what's actually going to happen; the trucks can still drive on the roads, after all.

Right. I went to the grocery store today, and the very nice man standing in front of me in line had a shopping cart full of bottled water. I didn’t say it to him, but I was like, “What do you think is going to happen?!” I don’t see even the worst case Coronavirus outbreak scenario causing our municipal water system to fail. That would be like an entirely different disaster.