Good Modern FPS

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Ack

Re: Good Modern FPS

Post by Ack »

Pulsar_t wrote:Which Painkiller game is the best?

The original. I would highly recommend the Painkiller Black re-release with the Battle Out of Hell expansion. Admittedly it's also not a recent release, since Painkiller came out a decade ago. Painkiller: Resurrection and Painkiller: Overdose were too bland in my opinion. I haven't tried Redemption and Recurring Evil yet, nor Hell & Damnation.

Anyway, going back to OP...try these:

Tower of Guns
Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition
Rise of the Triad remake
Serious Sam 3
Warsow
Shadow Warrior
Weekend_Warrior
Next-Gen

Post by Weekend_Warrior »

Call of Duty Classic
Killzone HD
"Welcome to the circus of values!"

Currently Playing: Crysis (360), Destiny demo (PS3), Roadblasters (MAME)
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

Both Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas are really solid games which can be played entirely in First Person. Plus there are plenty of difficulty settings especially in New Vegas which has survival elements on the higher settings.

There is also the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series as well which is similar to Fallout in alot of way but a lot more realistic and difficult.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

Have you tried Far Cry 3 or 4? I know you don't want one with iron sights but it has just about everything else on your list, it is extremely non linear. You can tackle most objectives how ever you like, want to be all sneaky and stab everyone? you can do that. Want to Snipe everyone from a mile away? That can be done. Want to be Robin Hood or Rambo and kill everyone with a bow and arrow? You can do it. Want to just rush in riding an elephant while firing a light machinegun without a care in the world? Definitely can do that. No regenerating health (well there is a tiny tiny amount) you have to gather herbs to heal your wonds. No other games have sucked me in like Far Cry, seriously I say to myself I'll just take a couple outposts for an hour and before I know it 6 hours have gone by and its 1 in the morning.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Wolfenstein The New Order, one of the best single player campaigns I've played in awhile.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

Far Cry 3 had a lot of variety for me. When they released the patch that let you reset all of,the outposts I was massively happy. Each time I did an outpost run with all of my abilities and weapons unlocked I would do it differently. One full outpost cycle I did strictly bows. The next was shotgun mayhem. After that I used explosives like the mines, C4, grenades and Molotovs.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

casterofdreams wrote:Far Cry 3 had a lot of variety for me. When they released the patch that let you reset all of,the outposts I was massively happy. Each time I did an outpost run with all of my abilities and weapons unlocked I would do it differently. One full outpost cycle I did strictly bows. The next was shotgun mayhem. After that I used explosives like the mines, C4, grenades and Molotovs.

Even better with Far Cry 4. In every outpost there's a prompt (like a mission prompt thing) that lets you do the outpost over again like a minigame, tracks your score/time and stuff. Then in addition to this, enemies can now take back outposts. I'm not sure how aggressive or plausible this is yet, I've only seen two being attacked and could fend them off. But it definitely spices things up.

The outposts were definitely the highlight of FC3 for me, so it's awesome to see them take it up a notch with FC4.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I haven't played FC3 or FC4, but I find it hard to believe any game in that series has surpassed the greatness of FC2.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I'm a fan of all of them except the first (as odd as that sounds).

I can't really explain it, but I don't think FC3/4 are very comparable to FC2 at all. Outside of the bigger open environment and driving vehicles around, they're really different.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

dsheinem wrote:I haven't played FC3 or FC4, but I find it hard to believe any game in that series has surpassed the greatness of FC2.

I recommend trying 3 and Blood Dragon. They did a very good job with those two.