Dodonpachi Saidaioujou High Score Thread

2D Shooters Invade
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Re: Dodonpachi Saidaioujou High Score Thread

Post by dunpeal2064 »

pierrot wrote: I'm going to have to watch some of the leaderboard replays before long.

You'll be amazed at how quickly you improve if you do this. Just don't lose grip on your sanity like I tend to do :wink:
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Alright, needed a break from DFK training, so I tossed a credit into this.

SHOT
Dunpeal2064 - 6,169,474,448 - ALL - Maria - ON

I know its the easiest non-Novice mode, but I wasn't expecting a clear on the first run. :lol: This mode has you fight all the bosses, so pretty fun if you want to see hibachi and inbachi patterns for toddlers. I'm actually wondering if Novice isn't harder, with the way 360 mode works. I'm sure at least Novice Expert is harder.

Also, there is a lot of talking in this game. Especially near the end.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Wait, what! You cleared it on first run? Please tell me 360 mode is CONSIDERABLY easier than Arcade. Please.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

mjmjr25 wrote:Wait, what! You cleared it on first run? Please tell me 360 mode is CONSIDERABLY easier than Arcade. Please.

Haha. Yeah, it is. I had the same reaction when I saw, "ALL" in the picture, but quickly realized it was the 360 mode in Shot type, which is sort of like Novice mode with unlimited bombs/lives. (As long as you use hyper effectively.)
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Yup, just figured it out, gave it a run:

Shot
3,846,941,080 - mjmjr25 - Stage 4 (boss) - Off

I sorta like this - stage 1 is too easy, but at least there's room to score.

Stage 2 is easy, but has moments where you at least have to pretend to dodge.

Stage 3 is so-so and then stage 4 it seemed to pick up pretty good.

I had my chain to 23K on stage 2, that was pretty cool.

@noise - I think you'll def enjoy this version better, might loosen up the arcade mode too.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Ha ha, yes 360 Shot is quite easy. 360 Laser gives you the same mechanics, but with arcade patterns (and expert gives expert patterns)

I did quite enjoy 360 mode, reminds me a bit of DFK BL (with the user-controlled rank).

It took me a second to figure this out, but you can use shot and laser at the same time in this mode (like dfk bl), and killing enemies with this "Power Shot" cashes in some of your health counter to fill up your hyper more quickly.

While it is good for score, it is pretty bad to use if you are just trying to clear, as you'll end up with lower health without getting hit, and your hyper will be at or near level 10, which adds a ton of rank.

Also... even though autobomb uses more health than manual (2k instead of 1.5k), I found it better to just dodge until I got hit once or twice, and then use whatever hyper level I have to heal. You can't manual bomb once you have a hyper in stock anyways. It might be worth it to manual bomb if rank is high, you don't have a hyper stocked yet, and you know you are going to get hit soon, since I believe a manual bomb lowers rank by 2 (auto lowers by 1)

Not really understanding scoring quite yet. I mean, I chain, and its almost impossible to drop the chain (bar getting hit of course), but the score is very low. It seems that stage 5 accounts for 90% of the score in the game in 360 mode (and with the overflow in arcade hd, it accounts for even more than 90% there)

1.5 might have more balanced scoring, since its more like a re-working of arcade hd with no overflow. Still haven't even tried that mode yet though.

Aside scoring, which I have yet to attempt, I really like this game. The music and graphics grew on me, the ship/boss designs are really neat... and I have to admit, Hibachi is adorable.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

I've toyed around with 1.5 mode a couple times, but haven't noticed any remarkable differences from Arcade. I seem to make it to stage three in 1.5 more easily than arcade though, not sure what that's about. Could just be something about mentality.
Kidpanda
64-bit

Post by Kidpanda »

Arcade HD
Kidpanda - 778,482,749 - Stage 3 Boss - Type B - Off

BUMP :lol:
Last edited by Kidpanda on Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kidpanda
64-bit

Post by Kidpanda »

1.5 Mode
Kidpanda - 1,723,816,600 - Stage 3 - Type B - Off

Kidpanda
64-bit

Post by Kidpanda »

pierrot wrote:I've toyed around with 1.5 mode a couple times, but haven't noticed any remarkable differences from Arcade. I seem to make it to stage three in 1.5 more easily than arcade though, not sure what that's about. Could just be something about mentality.

It seems 1.5 builds hypers faster, I had a lvl 1 hyper before I fought the mid boss on stage 1 whereas I usually don't get it till the mid boss is almost dead.