Street Fighter II Impossibly Difficult?

Brawlers and Beatemups
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Re:

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

nightrnr wrote:Not sure about the Anniversary Collection on PS2/box, as I only have the Xbox version and I suck with that controller anyways.

These will destroy you. I am a pretty good SFII player - and I have not had any trouble with any other version of the game - but the AI in Hyper Street Fighter II simply cannot be defeated consistently.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Re: Re:

Post by nightrnr »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
nightrnr wrote:Not sure about the Anniversary Collection on PS2/box, as I only have the Xbox version and I suck with that controller anyways.

These will destroy you. I am a pretty good SFII player - and I have not had any trouble with any other version of the game - but the AI in Hyper Street Fighter II simply cannot be defeated consistently.

Maybe true, but did you notice any input lag or speed discrepancies on that collection? If I could just get the same responsive gameplay that I'm used to, I won't complain about the stupid hard difficulty.
I mean, I get in a lot of situations in game when I do an uppercut and the AI throws me and then I recover from that throw without pressing anything. Doesn't that just scream "input delay"? Maybe it's like that anyway?
And I swear, any other Street Fighter II game, I can get uppercuts to come off fast without a hitch (to counter, recover when floored, etc) and on this I can rarely get one out before an opponent lands on the ground when he jumps at me (assuming I don't get hit and assuming it comes out at all).

It's one thing to have clairvoyant AI and quite another to play with a handicap.
It just seems off to me.
...just another lost soul...
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Street Fighter II Impossibly Difficult?

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Honestly, I haven't spent much time with the CCC2 version. Reading back through this thread, however, it appears that version is notorious for input lag.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Honestly, I haven't spent much time with the CCC2 version. Reading back through this thread, however, it appears that version is notorious for input lag.

@ prfsnl_gmr and nightnr:
its absolutely no secret by now that ST found on CCC2 is easily one of the worst ports next to the 3DO version. The game has major input lag and thats only the beginning. It's loaded with major gameplay issues ranging from speed dips to audio bugs and even gameplay glitches. Even with the project headed by ST veteran David Sirlin, the game is simply running thru piss poor emulation which is why the game performs poorly overall (all 3 versions of SF2 found in the first Capcom Classics Collection do not suffer the same fate as they are based completely on the 32bit ports while ST isn't). I Have both console releases of CCC2 and they both share the same issues.

Dreamcast version is far an away the superior port of ST (2X). Its damn close to arcade accurate.

All other ports on various consoles are as follows from best to worst.
-PSX
-Saturn
-PS2/Xbox
-3DO
-GBA
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

CD AGES wrote:All other ports on various consoles are as follows from best to worst.
-PSX
-Saturn
-PS2/Xbox
-3DO
-GBA

How much difference is there between the PSX and Saturn versions? I'd assume it's pretty small...
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I started reading this thread and was confused when I didn't recognise anyone who'd posted on it :lol:
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Post by foxhound1022 »

CD AGES wrote:Dreamcast version is far an away the superior port of ST (2X). Its damn close to arcade accurate.

^ This. Once I got my hands on the DC port, and compared it to the Saturn and PS2 ports, I was taken aback by how much smoother it was.

Now would HD Remix be a comparable port to throw into the mix, because I know it has different settings you can turn off/on to try and re-create the original gameplay.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

alienjesus wrote:I started reading this thread and was confused when I didn't recognise anyone who'd posted on it :lol:

We should try and make sure this thread gets bumped every two years.

A new racketboy tradition.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

CD AGES wrote:Dreamcast version is far an away the superior port of ST (2X). Its damn close to arcade accurate.

All other ports on various consoles are as follows from best to worst.
-PSX
-Saturn
-PS2/Xbox
-3DO
-GBA

To be honest, I'm looking for a reliable digital alternative (hence why I play it through HDD on OPL). When PS-IO (will load games via SD card) is released, my port on choice may indeed be PS1.
Dreamcast has a similar SD card adapter, and maybe I should look into that (although, relatively few games work very well).

I still wonder how SF Anniversary Collection plays on PS2. Is it just as bad as on CCC2? Maybe I'll have to try it myself and report back?

foxhound1022 wrote:Now would HD Remix be a comparable port to throw into the mix, because I know it has different settings you can turn off/on to try and re-create the original gameplay.

I do have this on my PS3. It's not bad, and I even have a good USB Saturn pad to play with. The gameplay still isn't perfect IMO, but is much better than CCC2 and you can turn on original sprites (backrounds are still HD) I still would like another option though, as I don't plan on keeping that on my designated retro TV.
...just another lost soul...
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

AppleQueso wrote:How much difference is there between the PSX and Saturn versions? I'd assume it's pretty small...

There is a def difference between both. PSX version sounds better, looks better and more importantly performs better.
Saturn version suffers from a blown up image (like many Capcom fighters on the system), so the character sprites look larger than normal and the image on each corner of the screen is cut off as a result. The biggest problem with the Saturn port are the slowdown issues that are VERY apparent when the game is played on Turbo 3 (Tournament standard speed setting). The PSX version does not have this problem. The only issues that i can think of right off the bat for the PSX version has to do with Guile inexplicably regaining his CPS1 Jab infinite from World Warrior (Also on the Saturn version).
foxhound1022 wrote:Now would HD Remix be a comparable port to throw into the mix, because I know it has different settings you can turn off/on to try and re-create the original gameplay.

It's def a worthy mention. Thing is, playing in Classic mode only alters the character sprites and gameplay mechanics to ST state. As some one already mentioned, Backdrops still remain in HDR. I have both the Digital version and physical release of HDR on 360, but seldom use these versions to play in classic mode. I much rather play the DC version instead.

nightrnr wrote:I still wonder how SF Anniversary Collection plays on PS2. Is it just as bad as on CCC2? Maybe I'll have to try it myself and report back?

No it isn't. Its not even the same game to even compare it to ST on CCC2 (or any other port of ST for that matter). Anniversary collection houses Hyper SF 2 which is essentially an actual official update to ST. PS2 port is a near perfect translation as the the arcade release for Hyper Street Fighter 2.