AppleQueso wrote:
Silent Hill 3?

that sells cause of pyramid head.

Pyramid Head wasn't in Silent Hill 3
emwearz
Next-Gen

Re: Activision says games with female leads can't sell

Post by emwearz »

What would Activision know about anything gaming related?

/Goes and plays Jill of the Jungle.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Yeah I bet Activision doesn't think that Beyond Good and Evil solid well eithe- oh right.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

AppleQueso wrote:Yeah I bet Activision doesn't think that Beyond Good and Evil solid well eithe- oh right.

That game was buried from market saturation. In that same holiday period Ubi released Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia the sand of time. And for those who don't remember Prince of Persia failed to sell as well. Sales started to pick up with the sequel..... which had an emo man. God the crimes the gaming population commits
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

I doubt it would've sold too well even otherwise. It was destined to be a niche title from the start I think.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

AppleQueso wrote:I doubt it would've sold too well even otherwise. It was destined to be a niche title from the start I think.

actually more mainstream marketing in Europe, specially to women and older people(aka over 25 years old) in my opinion would have helped it sell a lot more.

This game screams French and the French are the definition of mainland Europe's taste in comic's game's and movies in general (even if French movies don't do that well outside of France, mostly do to Hollywood studios having much better distribution deals and marketing).

This is a game I can imagine lot's of people playing for it's imaginative setting, and yes because of it's very appealing protagonist. But the boxart hardly screams imaginative

hm, looks kind of like a Lara Croft rip-off now that I think of it.

plus zero marketing in a crowded holiday season, and mainland Europe being a pirate's den, killed it's chances over here as well.

Come to think of it I would like for Ubi Soft to make more "French" games. Assasin's Creed "feels" french. Splinter Cell on the other hand feels 100% American (not that there is anything bad with that, I loved that game, but it still makes me wonder how such a game came from Ubi Soft, then again the entire Tom Clancy franchise was their bread winner for many many years, and he's an American author, so it makes sense in the end)
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

ZeroAX wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:I doubt it would've sold too well even otherwise. It was destined to be a niche title from the start I think.

actually more mainstream marketing in Europe, specially to women and older people(aka over 25 years old) in my opinion would have helped it sell a lot more.

This game screams French and the French are the definition of mainland Europe's taste in comic's game's and movies in general (even if French movies don't do that well outside of France, mostly do to Hollywood studios having much better distribution deals and marketing).

This is a game I can imagine lot's of people playing for it's imaginative setting, and yes because of it's very appealing protagonist. But the boxart hardly screams imaginative

hm, looks kind of like a Lara Croft rip-off now that I think of it.

plus zero marketing in a crowded holiday season, and mainland Europe being a pirate's den, killed it's chances over here as well.

Come to think of it I would like for Ubi Soft to make more "French" games. Assasin's Creed "feels" french. Splinter Cell on the other hand feels 100% American (not that there is anything bad with that, I loved that game, but it still makes me wonder how such a game came from Ubi Soft, then again the entire Tom Clancy franchise was their bread winner for many many years, and he's an American author, so it makes sense in the end)

As someone with an apprecation for French(many people in my family speak french), I would love to see more french games as well. Michel Ancel is actually one of my favorite designers. He just has a vision that 90% of developers lack, much like Fumito Ueda and Tetsuya Mizaguchi. Those guys LIVE outside the box. You'd never see derivative rip off artists like David Jaffe or Tomunobu Itagaki come up with games like theirs

I think the American box art for Beyong Good and Evil was better, but probably still wouldn't have helped sales. Hate to say it, but something indicating some of the action in the game would have worked better. Like a picture of her running away from the aliens across some rooftops like in that one awesome chase sequence in the game
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
pepharytheworm
Next-Gen

Post by pepharytheworm »

What would Ms. Pac-man say about all this.

Cooking mama series seems to sell well and arguably anything Barbie is in. How well did Super Princess Peach, Bloodrayne, Final Fantasy X-2, Space Channel 5, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem and Syberia sell? They all seemed popular. Even most of the Resident Evil games starred a woman.
Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.
Shabba
24-bit

Post by Shabba »

Heavenly Sword would be another one that comes to mind, one that sold over a million copies. And let's think in terms of what Activision is talking about. Are they talking about a female lead that is a sterotypical big tittied woman like croft or a strong woman lead like Samus. Metroid not being called a success is a bit silly. Metroid is a well-known game based not only on great sales but through great games.

I think Activision is a little bit off on this, but I imagine their marketing guys know a shit-load more than we do.
-Colin
2600/5200/7800, C64, Colecovision, ADAM, NES, SMS, Genesis, SNES, TurboDuo, N64, DC, PS1/2/3, PSX, GC, 360, Wii, GB, LYNX, NGPC, PSP, Turboexpress
Shabba
24-bit

Post by Shabba »

And what about Moonwalker for the SMS and the Genesis? White female lead there.
-Colin
2600/5200/7800, C64, Colecovision, ADAM, NES, SMS, Genesis, SNES, TurboDuo, N64, DC, PS1/2/3, PSX, GC, 360, Wii, GB, LYNX, NGPC, PSP, Turboexpress