What shmup are you playing now?

2D Shooters Invade
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Re: What shmup are you playing now?

Post by ExedExes »

I just got off Twin Cobra I & II for the Yolympics competition. TCII was developed by a pre-Giga Wing Takumi and it was interesting to see the ideas they had for it.

Other than that, Crimzon Clover World Ignition. I just love saving replay files.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
marlowe221
Next-Gen

Post by marlowe221 »

MUSHA question - Am I supposed to be holding down both shoot buttons at the same time, basically all the time? You know, the regular shot button and the green/red/blue item button?

It's a hand cramping experience!
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Want: Games!!!
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Yeah, you hold down both constantly. Might be able to remap the buttons, but I can't remember as its been years since I played Musha
marlowe221
Next-Gen

Post by marlowe221 »

dunpeal2064 wrote:Yeah, you hold down both constantly. Might be able to remap the buttons, but I can't remember as its been years since I played Musha

OK, cool. That is what I thought I was supposed to be doing but wasn't sure.

But it kind of makes you wonder why they even bothered to map those weapons to separate buttons - is there any situation when I wouldn't want both weapons firing at the same time?
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

Sarge wrote:Hoo, boy. I remember working through Jamestown when I first got my gaming laptop. That last stage was tough! I did manage, but at times, it did feel impossible.

Have never made it past the second form of the final boss myself. Tremendous game, poured a ton into it for PS4.
marlowe221
Next-Gen

Post by marlowe221 »

retrosportsgamer wrote:
Sarge wrote:Hoo, boy. I remember working through Jamestown when I first got my gaming laptop. That last stage was tough! I did manage, but at times, it did feel impossible.

Have never made it past the second form of the final boss myself. Tremendous game, poured a ton into it for PS4.

My biggest issue with Jamestown is that I have a hard time telling where my hitbox actually is.

I much prefer the Crimson Clover style of having a blinking light in the middle of my ship that says, "right here, dumb ass!"

marlowe221
Next-Gen

Post by marlowe221 »

How difficult is Crimson Clover World Ignition considered? Because I suck. It takes me 3-4 credits to beat Novice.

Actually, I suck at pretty much all shmups. No 1CCs to my name. :?

ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

We played the original (read: imported from Japan in a group buy) for the old Shmup of The Month. I was able to get to level 3 on a credit. THOSE were the days!
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
marlowe221
Next-Gen

Post by marlowe221 »

Someone in the Random Gaming Thoughts thread recommended Danmaku Unlimited 2 when I bitched and moaned about all the anime girls in modern shooting games. I snagged it for $0.99 on Steam and I'm playing it with my Fighting Commander 4 pad.

It's pretty good so far. It's got a meta-upgrade system which is cool but it means that you can't earn a 1up in-game.

I've got 5 hours in it already and I got a 1CC! On Easy difficulty, so it probably doesn't count. :D

But I'll take it; I don't have that much pride. I do feel like I'm making progress in this game pretty fast. On normal difficulty I can get to Stage 4 (out of 5) on 1 credit if I'm really on my game. But it feels possible, if that makes any sense. I can finish Normal difficulty in 2 credits.

Either this game isn't that hard, or it has just clicked with me for some reason.

retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

I picked up Ghost Blade HD on the XBO, but wanted to note my surprise that it made the WiiU eShop! Not many shmups for the old U; kind of wish I held off.