Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I always thought it was because the Game Boy had "black & white" graphics.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

1. Cut the Rope (3DS)
2. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3)
3. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (XBOX)
4. Jewel Link Chronicles: Mountains of Madness (NDS)
5. Super Mario 3D World (WIIU)
6. Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
7. Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS)
8. Gunman Clive (3DS)
9. Child of Light (WIIU)
10. Gunman Clive 2 (3DS)

Gunman Clive (3DS) is a fun platform shooter that draws a lot of inspiration from the 8-bit Mega Man games. It is very easy, but incredibly addictive, and despite the fact you can run through the game in less than 45 minutes, I have spent hours with it. (I have played it through it with Gunman Clive (who controls just like Mega Man), Ms. Johnson (who controls like a cross between Mega Man and Princess Peach), and a duck (who can flap, but not attack).) The levels are inspired; the art direction is consistent; the music is great; and the bosses are a lot of fun. Moreover, the game only costs $2 in the Nintendo eShop, and I regret not getting it earlier.

Child of Light (WIIU) is a platformer/JRPG hybrid that uses the UbiArt Framework. The game's world is hauntingly beautiful, and the game's soundtrack is excellent. Moreover, the game's characters are (mostly) well-realized, and the game has an outstanding active-time battle system. The game is too easy to justify its excellent battle system, however, and you can easily brute-force your way through battles without taking advantages of its complexities. (In my opinion, the game would have benefitted greatly from some optional bosses and content that required players to learn the intricacies of the game's battle system and the proper use of the various characters' skills.) Finally, the game is narrated in rhyme, but it is apparent the author had no sense of meter. Accordingly, the game's dialogue, while occassionally charming, often comes across as awkward. Those criticisms aside, my daughter enjoyed the game immensely, and she was able to play through it with me utilizing the game's co-op mode. (She controlled the firefly, Igniculus, who deactivates traps, opens treasure chests, and provides critical support during battles.) She was also deeply moved by the game's somber story, and I very much appreciate the fact that I was able to play through the game with her. Finally, the game is not very long for an modern JRPG, and you can beat it in 10-12 hours without grinding. Accordingly, I recommend it to anyone looking for a beautiful, modern game with classic JRPG sensibilities. (I also recommend it to anyone who is looking for a great "kindergarten co-op" experience.)

Gunman Clive 2 (3DS) is just like Gunman Clive, but better in every single way. The game costs a whopping $3, but it: (1) is nearly twice as long; (2) is more challenging; (3) has more playable characters; (4) has more varied levels; and (5) has even better boss fights. (The final boss is particularly awesome.) Moreover, it wears its retro-gaming inspirations shamelessly, with levels clearly inspired by games like Donkey Kong Country, Outrun, Shinobi, Starfox, and Tetris(!). (Unlike the first game, it also make great use of the 3DS's 3D capabilities.) I highly recommend this game, and in my opinion, every 3DS owner should happily spend the $5 necessary to download both it and its predecessor.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Also, there's a "trick" to Kind Dedede? :lol:
By "trick" I mean "what you're actually supposed to do," because no way was I figuring that one out as a child.

Don't judge me! :lol:

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:... for a great "kindergarten co-op" experience.)

Am I the only one that thinks of Arnie and says "it's not a tumor" in their head, when they see that?

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Gunman Clive 2I highly recommend this game, and in my opinion, every 3DS owner should happily spend the $5 necessary to download both it and its predecessor.

Awesome! I really enjoyed the first one, so I'm definitely down for $3 on this guy.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

WHO IS YOUR DADDY AND WHAT DOES HE DO
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Gunman Clive 2 (Unlike the first game, it also make great use of the 3DS's 3D capabilities.)

My understanding is that Gunman Clive is a port of a mobile game. The developer said that he made way more money from the 3DS version than from the iOS version though, so it was probably his focus with the sequel.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

alienjesus wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:Gunman Clive 2 (Unlike the first game, it also make great use of the 3DS's 3D capabilities.)

My understanding is that Gunman Clive is a port of a mobile game. The developer said that he made way more money from the 3DS version than from the iOS version though, so it was probably his focus with the sequel.

I can see that. The original definitely felt a bot like a mobile game that should have been developed for a handlheld. (I can't imagine trying to play it well with touch-screen controls.)
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Flake wrote:Get on Super Metroid. Given how cheap I let you walk away with that thing, you owe it to both of us to clear the Space Pirates out of Zebes.

It's been referenced 3x now...so, i'm curious. How much?
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

1. Star Fox 2 SNES
2. Sonic Advance 2 GBA
3. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker Wii U
4. Advance Wars: Dark Conflict DS
5. Joy Mech Fight Famicom
6. Grandia PS1
7. Money Idol Exchanger Game Boy
8. The Battle of Olympus NES
9. Lost Kingdoms 2 GC
10. Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon DS
11. Code of Princess 3DS DL
12. Discworld Saturn
13. Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru [For the Frog the Bell Tolls] Game Boy
14. 3D Sonic the Hedgehog 3DS DL *NEW*
15. 3D Streets of Rage 3DS DL *NEW*

3D Sonic the Hedgehog

I don't generally list games I've beaten previously, but I figured I would for this one since it's different in a few ways.

3D Sonic the Hedgehog is one of Sega's 3D Classics series on 3DS eShop. It offers a bunch of features that make it a fantastic way to experience the game.

First of all is the fact that the game is in 3D. It's not mind blowing, and of the 3D Classics, Sonic is one of the ones that benefits least from the 3D effect, but it does still look very nice. Seeing trees in the foreground, mountains in the background and the likes makes the game world feel bigger, and I'd say this is visually the best version of Sonic the Hedgehog.

M2, the developer of the game, have seen fit to add a ton of options too. First of all, there is an option to turn on the spindash (a la Sonic Jam). I'm a creature of habit, and so I tended to forget it was there most of the time, but being able to stop and wind up when I failed to clear a loop instead of going back for a run up was much appreciated. Save states also exist, which are useful when playing on the go to hold you progress for the next play session.

There's also a ton of emulation options - not only can you choose between the Japanese or US version of the game, you can also choose whether it emulates in as if working on a model 1 or a model 2 Mega Drive. You can emulate a CRT screen, complete with blurring of graphics, scanlines and even a curvature to the picture or you can keep it pixel perfect. You can even choose whether the 3D falls in to the screen or pops out of it - the latter looked better to my eyes in gameplay, but made text screens look really bad.

The last reason I decided to talk about this game is because this run was the first time I've successfully gotten all the Chaos Emeralds in a sonic game. It's a shame it's in the first game where there isn't much of a reward, but it's nice to finally have it under my belt after 20 years!

I highly recommend this version of the game. If you're not a stickler for original hardware, 'd say this is the best version of the original game out there. Go buy it!

3D Streets of Rage
This is another one I've beaten the original version of, but hey, this version has new features, so I may aswell list it.

Some people claim that Streets of Rage is superior to it's sequel. These people are of course wrong, but it just goes to show that the game still holds up well to this day. It may have less attack options and enemy types, but it's still a premier beat 'em up.

3D Streets of Rage has all of same emulation features as Sonic the Hedgehog. Instead of having an optional spindash, that option is replaced by 'fists of death' mode - a mode where enemies die in a single hit (you still don't though). Fists of Death mode sounded kind of stupid until I played it - the game is surprisingly still a ton of fun, even if a bit easy on this mode, and it lends itself to a fun, quick blast through the game. I beat the game once normally and once on Fists of Death mode before I posted here.

The 3D here is more significant than Sonic, and more useful - lining up attacks has never been this easy (although as I've played the game hundreds of times, it's not exactly a concern anyway). The sense of depth to the street is wonderfully smooth and again, I think this is the best Streets of Rage has ever looked. Like Sonic, if I was to recommend one version of this game to anyone, the 3D Classics version would be the one I would choose.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

1. Grandia (PlayStation)
2. Jungle Hunt (Xbox - Taito Legends)
3. Jungle Hunt (Atari 2600)
4. Jungle Hunt (Plug & Play - ColecoVision Flashback)
5. Donkey Kong (Atari 2600)
6. Donkey Kong (Intellivision)
7. Donkey Kong (ColecoVision)
8. Bubble Bobble (NES)
9. Side Arms: Hyper Dyne (PSP - Capcom Classics Collection Remixed)
10. 1941: Counter Attack (PSP - Capcom Classics Collection Remixed)
11. Ys: The Ark of Napishtim (PSP)
12. The Ninja Kids (Xbox - Taito Legends)
13. Neutopia (TurboGrafx-16)
14. Golden Axe Warrior (Xbox 360 - Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection)
15. Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2 (Dreamcast)
16. Growl (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
17. Arabian Magic (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
18. Dungeon Magic (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
19. Gekirindan (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
20. Ys II (Saturn - Falcom Classics II)
21. Darius Gaiden (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
22. G Darius (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
23. Giana Sisters DS (DS)
24. RayStorm (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
25. Mr. Do! (ColecoVision)
26. Beauty & the Beast (Intellivision)
27. Boxing (PlayStation 2 - Activision Anthology)
28. Crystalis (NES)
29. Dragon Warrior (NES)
30. Faxanadu (NES)
31. Tombs & Treasure (NES)
32. Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy)
33. Kirby's Adventure (NES)

What a sequel!

This takes everything about the original Kirby and improves it tenfold. The game is now divided into several themed "worlds" each with several levels. There are lotsa fun minigames, including some hidden ones. Best of all, Kirby can now harness the powers of the enemies he consumes. Some of these are a blast to use like the fireball, stone, and wheel. And some seem rather blasé. I never found much use for the abilities that allow Kirby to throw enemies, for instance. Hilariously the game trolls the player by also making "sleep" an ability. This makes Kirby sleep. Such cute little snoring.

The graphics/music are bright and bouncy and beautiful and the whole game is just a ray of sunshine. And best of all - Kirby is now pink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!