Together Retro, Jan 20: 2010 RETRO!

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Michi
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro, Jan 20: 2010 RETRO!

Post by Michi »

I am continuing on with Heavy Rain. The more I play, the more I am puzzled by certain prompt decisions. Most of it is fine, it's just there are some tasks that feel tacked on. Like, instructing your character to go to the bathroom, or helping a grown man tie his tie, or telling your character that, 'yes, you have to get out of the car, it's the only way for the chapter to start'. Some of it just feels a bit odd, is all.

Other than that, the story is finally picking up and most of the chapters seems pretty short, so it's a nice game for me to pick up and play for short bursts.

Now if only I were better at those damn timed button presses :lol:
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Finished 3D Dot Game Heroes today! What a fantastic game (as I wrote about in the beaten thread). Not perfect, but a really impressive Zelda clone whose quality is up there with Nintendo's own works. I just wish it crashed less XP
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Finished up The Force Unleashed II. I think I’d have been irritated if I’d spent much money on this in 2010, as it’s a relatively brisk ~5 hour jaunt, but it is overall a “good enough” Star Wars title even today, one that feels very much of its era.
lordb0rb4
32-bit

Post by lordb0rb4 »

dsheinem wrote:Finished up The Force Unleashed II. I think I’d have been irritated if I’d spent much money on this in 2010, as it’s a relatively brisk ~5 hour jaunt, but it is overall a “good enough” Star Wars title even today, one that feels very much of its era.

Really? I played when it launched and even if it was short i was completely amazed by it's graphics, i could not believe what i was seeing (PC version, mind you).
The thing about this one on consoles was that, if i remember right, it used some crazy double 30 fps technique for extra smoothness.
IMO it is a far better and more fleshed-out game than TFU 1 in every aspect. :D

@topic
Finished Sin & Punishment: Star Successor (Wii) just now and i think it's on par with the greatests on-rail shooters, very unique stages and the mechanics do enhance the gameplay and never let the pace down, i'm so glad i did play this one.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

lordb0rb4 wrote:
dsheinem wrote:Finished up The Force Unleashed II. I think I’d have been irritated if I’d spent much money on this in 2010, as it’s a relatively brisk ~5 hour jaunt, but it is overall a “good enough” Star Wars title even today, one that feels very much of its era.

Really? I played when it launched and even if it was short i was completely amazed by it's graphics, i could not believe what i was seeing (PC version, mind you).
The thing about this one on consoles was that, if i remember right, it used some crazy double 30 fps technique for extra smoothness.
IMO it is a far better and more fleshed-out game than TFU 1 in every aspect. :D

It looked good for its time, but I don’t know that even the stellar graphics and reasonably fun force powers systems are enough to compensate for its boring-as-fuck story (the main character is an insufferable twat) or its short/simple campaign. I played the first one when it came out and, though my memory of it is hazy, I remember being more impressed by what it accomplished.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Just popping in to note that Sin & Punishment: Stat Successor is as awesome as lordb0rb4 escribes it. It is, in my opinion, the best rail shooter of all time.
lordb0rb4
32-bit

Post by lordb0rb4 »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Just popping in to note that Sin & Punishment: Stat Successor is as awesome as lordb0rb4 escribes it. It is, in my opinion, the best rail shooter of all time.

It is up there indeed but playing the game with a Pro Controller takes something away, horrible device.
May i ask what's your take on Panzer Dragoon Orta dear prfsnl_gmr?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Wow, I didn't realize how many great games came out in 2010. Does anyone else think it's crazy that we were talking about these games on this forum when they were NEW?

Didn't read through the entire thread, but I just realized Epic Mickey was also from 2010.
lordb0rb4
32-bit

Post by lordb0rb4 »

I know right?! But it sure feels like 10 years ago, i wasn't even a father back then XD
One of the reasons that generation was/is special to me is that , as an adult, i had a job and got to afford games and consoles and for the first time it felt like i was in the ecosystem.
Brand-new ways to play games (Wii), portable gaming fully fleshed out and online gaming like never before ?!?! Man, it was a time of change :lol:
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

lordb0rb4 wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:Just popping in to note that Sin & Punishment: Stat Successor is as awesome as lordb0rb4 escribes it. It is, in my opinion, the best rail shooter of all time.

It is up there indeed but playing the game with a Pro Controller takes something away, horrible device.
May i ask what's your take on Panzer Dragoon Orta dear prfsnl_gmr?

Yeah...you really need to play it with a Wiimote and Nunchuck. Panzer Dragoon Orta is probably the second-best rail shooter of all time. :lol: (It just edges out Rez, Sin & Punishment, Panzer Dragoon II, and Star Fox, which are tied for third.)