Together Retro: Toe Jam & Earl

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Pingfa
64-bit

Post by Pingfa »

Nostalgia aside, does anyone still play and enjoy this game to this day?
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

OK, so my wife and I sat down and played this for a while.
It was kinda cool for a while, but eventually got a bit dull and frustrating.

The concept is very interesting and it is neat that the split-screen worked so well, but it seemed like you were just wandering around most of the time. And when you weren't, you were getting annoyed by earthlings or falling off the level.

It got pretty frustrating when you'd get hit by a cupid right as you're on a narrow area and go plunging down for the fifth time.

I can kinda see why Sega changed up the franchise, but at the same time it would have been interesting to see how they could have improved on the formula.

For all my complaints, it does have a great deal of unique charge that is entertaining -- but there's just not enough of it to make it worth your while, IMO
Bootaaay
128-bit

Post by Bootaaay »

I have to agree with Racket, the game is definetly a classic and very impressive for it's time, but it lacks a proper structure and as such winds up being frustrating alot of the time. Also, if you're interested to see how SEGA improved on the original formula then I definetly reccomend checking out ToeJam & Earl III for the Xbox - a criminally overlooked game and one of my favourites on the Xbox. It's just like the original TJ&E, but in 3d and with detailed mission structures to each level, rather than one huge free-roaming level of randomness - beyond that main difference, the transition to 3d, a new character and slight updates to TJ&E's design, it's basically the same game as the original.
Doctor Fugue
128-bit

Post by Doctor Fugue »

I don't usually cheat, but using a Game Genie with TJ&E makes it a lot more fun. Specifically, using the code for infinite uses of presents makes the game so much faster. Yes, it is (a lot) easier, but I found it so much more enjoyable wandering around using all the different abilities again and again, eventually stocking up all the different presents.

Otherwise, there is too much time spent walking from place to place and running away from Earthlings because you are trying to save presents. Also, with two players and infinite presents, you can make up all sorts of fun little competitive games to play, like giving each other Rocket Skates while on the same screen and making them fall to the level below, playing chicken with the mailbox, drinking enough root beer to make them burp for several levels, racing each other using Icarus Wings, or lambasting each other with tomatoes.

It is one of those games where I end up not playing it exactly as intended.

I agree TJ&E III was overlooked. It was indeed a faithful transition of the first game to 3D, however the engine always gave me headaches and dizzyness (not as bad as Marathon, though).
"Your vessel, your beginning. All that you knew...is gone." - The Guardian of Forever
Daniel Primed
64-bit

Post by Daniel Primed »

Been playing this some more. I concur with much of what has been said already, the game feels very low impact with plenty of casual wandering. It feels like an open-spaced dungeon crawler with out much fuss or complexity in the mechanics. Opening up presents without knowing what's inside is surprisingly pleasant, althogh far too many items are arbitrary gimmicks.

I haven't found it to be frustrating yet but it's still a little early (only have 2 ship pieces).

I don't remember much of this game when I was a kid which is a little strange, was it really that popular at the time?
pompeyparsons
32-bit

Post by pompeyparsons »

I was just playing this again, and I can never remember this before but there's an option to "Jam" so I was doing some horrible beat boxing using the three buttons and the control pad. Not the coolest thing as the figures would dance in the background a little bit and some pretty horrible beat box noises. I couldn't get the rhythm down so everything sounded horrible.

But still a unique feature for a game. Anybody else been having some Jam sessions?
nickfil
Next-Gen

Post by nickfil »

I haven't tried the jam option yet, but i look forward to it.

Been trying to get through this with a buddy of mine. We have 4 ship parts after our first session and the game is starting to get a little more difficult. I was surprised at how enjoyable the game is with someone else playing with you. I tried playing one player and was extremely bored.

Its odd- i would almost equate it to very pleasant background music. You enjoy it, you want it there to fill up the room... but you are mostly there to hang out with your friend. When you just listen to the music on your own you don't go for it.

I like it.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Yup the music was pretty good. I was jamming on the couch next to my wife as she gave me funny looks :)
Capcom

Re: Together Retro: Toe Jam & Earl

Post by Capcom »

I never really understood why people liked this game so much it was okay too me.
ACRetro

Re: Together Retro: Toe Jam & Earl

Post by ACRetro »

Capcom wrote:I never really understood why people liked this game so much it was okay too me.

I'm in a similar position. I've played it once or twice, and it just does nothing for me. I may be missing the point, but it just feels like aimlessly (and slowly!) walking around.

I may be shot down in flames, but I find reviews are over-critical of its sequel, Panic on Funkatron. I absolutely love playing through that game. It's funny, richly animated, has depth, had many, many levels and plenty of secret locations.