February Together Retro: Off the Rails

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Ack

Re: February Together Retro: Off the Rails

Post by Ack »

alienjesus wrote:Not sure why the usual suspects haven't all checked into this thread yet, but I thought I'd drop in and say hi.

We just hosted the Super Bowl down here, so mostly the residents of Atlanta were hunkering in bunkers and waiting for the storm to blow over.

That said, Fastbilly is coming down for a convention next weekend and bringing a Wii, so I figure we'll be playing Ghost Squad. It's been a long time, and I'm looking forward to shooting terrorists with water guns.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I spent some time with Sin & Punishment this weekend. Just long enough to confirm I’m still terrible at it. I think I’m going to look into reconfiguring my controls on the Wii U version. It just feels like I should be aiming with the right stick...
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I too am playing both Sin and Punishment games (via the Wii U) and will probably play Wild Guns on the PC. I have a ton of light gun games that I could pull out, too...but might hold off on those for change.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

alienjesus wrote:Not sure why the usual suspects haven't all checked into this thread yet, but I thought I'd drop in and say hi.

I'll be participating this month. Waiting for a copy of Space Harrier to arrive from Japan.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I spent some time with Sin & Punishment this weekend. Just long enough to confirm I’m still terrible at it. I think I’m going to look into reconfiguring my controls on the Wii U version. It just feels like I should be aiming with the right stick...

Here’s the layout I am using for S&P on the Wii U pro controller:

L stick - C directions
R stick - N64 stick
A - A
B - B
X - X
Y - Y
+ - Start
- - none
L - Left trigger
R - right trigger
ZL - rear trigger
ZR - none

I also leave controls to “Normal” (not inverted) and use Type 1 controller in the game’s settings.

Hope that helps! I find it quite playable this way.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

dsheinem wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:I spent some time with Sin & Punishment this weekend. Just long enough to confirm I’m still terrible at it. I think I’m going to look into reconfiguring my controls on the Wii U version. It just feels like I should be aiming with the right stick...

L stick - C directions
R stick - N64 stick
A - A
B - B
X - X
Y - Y
+ - Start
- - none
L - Left trigger
R - right trigger
ZL - rear trigger
ZR - none

I also leave controls to “Normal” (not inverted) and use Type 1 controller in the game’s settings.

Thank you! Trying to aim with the left stick and move with the right just felt so unnatural.

Also, Sin & Punishment 2 is ridiculously awesome. One of the Wii’s very best games, and it plays wonderfully with a Wii Remote.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
dsheinem wrote:

L stick - C directions
R stick - N64 stick
A - A
B - B
X - X
Y - Y
+ - Start
- - none
L - Left trigger
R - right trigger
ZL - rear trigger
ZR - none

Thank you! Trying to aim with the left stick and move with the right just felt so unnatural.

Also, Sin & Punishment 2 is ridiculously awesome. One of the Wii’s very best games, and it plays wonderfully with a Wii Remote.

Yup! I am looking forward to (re)playing both of these. Last time I did so was around the time S&P2 came out.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Well, I picked up Star Wars: Rebel Assault on GOG, and I'm trash at it. The game was built with a joystick in mind, while I'm using a mouse to play. End result? I'm terrible. I've discovered that the game features some amount of auto-aim, so I can sometimes let this take over in tight spots. But the targeting reticle also resets itself back to center screen automatically, so I often find myself fighting with it to stay put, particularly when at the edge of my limited range of movement.

There are also several styles of gameplay. The rails sections are probably the most manageable, but there has also been a top-down section where my mouse now controlled my ship's location entirely and I struggled to see potential obstacles to hit. Worse yet are the flying sections where I have to navigate canyons from behind my ship and can't always tell what is a hazard and what's oncoming. The mouse controls here get particularly terrible, and every move seems to either swing me to the outside where I grind into walls or refuse to register.

Despite all this, after fighting my way through, I managed to reach the fifth level of the game. It's a trench run where I have to shoot down some TIE Fighters. I can generally nab two at the start, but the third gets away, and the X-Wing then grinds its wings off at the first chance I get.

Coolest level so far though has been a rail segment where I had to assault a Star Destroyer by destroying key sections of the ship before going in for a missile run on the command bridge. I like that occasionally the game will give me choices or let me flub certain things and still take over and let me continue on. It feels more realistic.

So yeah, verdict so far: cool set pieces, hit or miss variety of level styles, terrible controls.

Also, I can change the main character's gender in the options menu. That's cool.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Rebel Assault is a great game, and a great game at pissing you off. I was exposed to it by my best friend back in the earlier 1990s on his PC. Yes we did use a joystick, but if you think the use of a mouse makes it worse off, not really. The game is just twitchy and cruel, but because of the theme of it, and back in that year it arrived how it stood out sharply so well against the movies better than other stuff had before it went over well and people really put up with its quirks. I've grabbed most of the 90s SW games off of GoG but that and the sequel I still have yet to snap up. The game is very much about trial and error as it's just a cruel rail shooter with little love for mistakes on your part. It's not a tease about it so, no taunting at least, so you can still feel good enough to take kicked in the teeth a dozen times to get a little further than most.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Rebel assault 2 fixes a lot of the control problems people had with the first. It also featured a fun, 3rd person cover based shooting scenes. Enjoyed that one a whole lot more.

Also, folks could also play the original star wars arcade game or even return of the jedi arcade game as a choice for the month.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.