Together Retro: Gauntlet

Join in on our classic gaming club!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Gauntlet

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Original arcade Gauntlet is fun as hell. My only "issue" with the game is that it eventually starts to loop randomly(?) and there's no discernible ending or any indication that you've played every unique stage.

And wow Midway Arcade Origins has gone up in price. I remember when you could find it in bargain bins.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

It's also on the first Midway Arcade Treasures for GC/PS2/XB and PC.

I played this at the GameEx score competition we had for it over two months in 2015 and took the title. Best score was 32,303. Insane I know.

The NES Gauntlet was really insidious in its design. The Clue Rooms (8 in all necessary to get to the "Sacred Orb") and the codes were uniquely generated and tied to the player's current password so you couldn't go off and exchange codes so easily. Plus, passwords only took you as far as level 79, so you'd have to go through 20 to 30 more levels without dying, and an exit on level 80 could kill you instantly. Finally, don't collect more than 2000 treasures or your password won't work anymore!

I hope some of you will also check out Gauntlet II which is available on NES, GB, and Midway Arcade Treasures 2.

For me I think it's best time to finish Dark Legacy on Gamecube. I haven't fought a single boss and I've been stockpiling powerful items for that time, but I understand certain versions lack a boss health meter (!) This should be fun.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

My go-to for old school Gauntlet is Gauntlet IV on the Genesis. Its a remake of the original game, a very "arcade-to-home" port that clearly had a lot of love put into it. Honestly feels superior to the arcade game for me. Nice mode selection, 4-player co-op via multi-tap, and a killer OST from Hitoshi Sakimoto and Masaharu Iwata (FF Tactics, Vagrant Story, Ogre Battle, Mushihimesama, and many others under their belts.)

Definitely a must-play imo, and the quintessential Gauntlet experience.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

ExedExes wrote:For me I think it's best time to finish Dark Legacy on Gamecube. I haven't fought a single boss and I've been stockpiling powerful items for that time, but I understand certain versions lack a boss health meter (!) This should be fun.

The Gamecube port definitely lacks a health meter.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

dunpeal2064 wrote:My go-to for old school Gauntlet is Gauntlet IV on the Genesis. Its a remake of the original game, a very "arcade-to-home" port that clearly had a lot of love put into it. Honestly feels superior to the arcade game for me. Nice mode selection, 4-player co-op via multi-tap, and a killer OST from Hitoshi Sakimoto and Masaharu Iwata (FF Tactics, Vagrant Story, Ogre Battle, Mushihimesama, and many others under their belts.)

Definitely a must-play imo, and the quintessential Gauntlet experience.

Sakimoto knew what was up with his driver for the Genesis. Godly music.

The old ones are definitely quarter eaters like others said. I really enjoyed Legacy on the PS2 haha, I thought I owned it but can't find it now. Think that was the last one I played.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Other than the arcade and usually not alone I never liked Gauntlet much, but the sequel that one I really did if anything because it had a better flow to it and I loved the random dragon boss battle that would pop up. Killed it?! "I have not seen such bravery!" loved that. The NES and oddly Gameboy titles both were very faithful within limits (less targets on screen) and still had all that sampled audio which was a surprise.

Sometimes I think about getting it back on NES, but I do have the GB release at least, and then there's Dark Legacy on the Dreamcast which is fantastic.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

MrPopo wrote:The Gamecube port definitely lacks a health meter.

Yet it's the most expensive home port, going for roughly $50 complete yet the other two on PS2 and Xbox (which is the definitive port) are both under $20 complete. Nintendo price premium at work again.

I dug up some more information over on NeoGAF. There were three versions of the GC port. 1.0 has the missing health meter, invisible inventory items, freeze ups after certain pop up messages, and other bugs. all of which I've encountered. 1.1 and 1.2 fix these, with 1.2 being the best, but there's no way you can tell what version you have until you go and replicate these bugs yourself. Fortunately I've been getting all of the "legendary weapons" so each boss battle should be considerably easier.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

I think the only version that I have access to right now is the GBA version which is solid but single player only.

I also own Gauntlet: The Third Encounter for the Lynx. It's notable for having all kinds of weird characters like a skateboarder and an android, who, even more curiously seems to have been the benchmark for the design of the modern day 'Android' logo.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Though not official, 7800 Dark Chambers very similar game play.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

You guys were right. NES Gauntlet is sadistic. I switched to the sequel instead (same system) which is a lot better. But is there any way to continue? Maybe I'm just an idiot.

I remembered I have the first game for C64 but I dunno if I want to bust that out...

Gauntlet III has always intrigued me. It was exclusively released on computers, which is surprising.