MegaDrive portable in GBA Organizer case

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
bacteria
Next-Gen

Re: MegaDrive portable in GBA Organizer case

Post by bacteria »

Finished system last night. Charging the batteries at the moment, takes several hours.

The N64 system takes just over 2 amps to run, this system more like about 1/4 of that, so whilst not tested to see how long the two 2.3 amp cells working together to give around 4.6 amps will last, I would anticipate something like 8 hours between charging.

Photo below shows system completed; red light on for charging, green when charged.

Only had 2 mishaps in this project:

* Connected audio amp to the batteries a few days ago, when turned system on I got a small "bang" and a smell. Oops. The audio amp is rated 5v not 7.6v so blew the circuit. I have spares so when added a 7805 regulator to a new audio amp, all worked great.

* Wired up A and B backwards - easily resolved issue.

Pretty good - usually one can anticipate more things going wrong in the modding process.

All works well, just played a couple of games of Hellfire, as uses all the buttons - image quality is good and system plays great.

I will be seeing the buyer in a week's time, so aim to get a video made of this system tomorrow or Sunday and upload it.

I could reduce the battery charger circuit to about 30% its size, as did for the BigBoy advance before when space was quite tight, however no point here, probably have about 1/4" clearance in system height and enough space for the board as-is. Regulator below the battery charger circuit is step-up regulator, as the charger circuit needs 12v-24v so giving it 12v.
I am the Bacman
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

That's gosh-darn beautiful, bac. Well done, sir.

I look forward to seeing her up and running. Any finising touches left to do?
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

Nope, all completed. I only need to make the video for it now and upload it.

Batteries are fully charged now, the charging circuit light is "green".

When I visit the buyer next week, i'll be starting a SNES project in similar casing so will document that project too.
I am the Bacman
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

I am the Bacman
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Just curious but any reason you went for a three button as opposed to six button system? Was it for ergonomics or is it more difficult to achieve with the technology you are using (i.e. a system that didn't originally have six buttons)?
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

Used an original Megadrive controller; those use A, B and C buttons only. I believe only a small number of games used more, eg StreetFighter anyway. Adding 6 buttons instead of 3 would not have looked so good with the casing either.
I am the Bacman
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

Delivered this to Rick at the weekend, along with the N64 system he also commissioned me for.

Will be starting similar project soon for him, for SNES and NES combined unit, from RetroDuo console. Will start new thread for that project progress when have everything I need for it and start the project for him.

If anyone wants to commission me to make systems like these I have made, or tabletop systems, please PM me. I may have a couple more systems to make for previous guy I did some commissions for however not confirmed yet. If you want me to make you a system please get in touch as I will probably only make a handful of more systems and first-come-first-served! :mrgreen:
I am the Bacman