Nes mini vs sega mini console wars? Lmao

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Re: Nes mini vs sega mini console wars? Lmao

Post by retrosportsgamer »

re: Fully compatible cart slot: My brother-in-law had one of those and none of the EA sports carts would work in it.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Already wasted my money twice on that same hardware.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

I'm just going to play game gear as a sega handheld
ejamer
128-bit

Post by ejamer »

I'm not as down on this console as it will probably sound, and the price is hard to argue with... but half the games aren't "real" Genesis games and instead are just homebrew, the cartridge slot isn't compatible with all games (although it is with many/most), the sound emulation is pretty terrible, and the wireless controllers have some serious line-of-sight limitations. Calling this a "war" isn't really fair...

The Sega mini-console is a good idea and is worth owning for some, but it's not a perfect experience by any means. I dearly hope that the NES mini-console provides a higher quality recreation - and when it's first party hardware made by Nintendo my expectations are definitely higher.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Game list is looking the same as the MK1-3 handheld from last year I bought as a test, is this a console release of it now or was there one as I don't recall. It's the same ATurdGames hot mess emulation device with no quality control or effort put into it. I saw it on geek.com via facebook a couple days back and I put this post about it on there having used these from the handheld side(with SD support) beginnings. It's barely changed in the least bit. I got over 100 likes on the post, most of the comments thankful and/or positive, yet a few Sega sycophants attacked me as a Nintendo troll and specifically a LIAR like they work for ATGames and know better. Can't fix stupid I guess.

I put this if anyone cares I pasted it:

Just a fair warning to all of you who are digging at Nintendo for an upcoming unit with just 30 games, have any of you ever played one of these ATGames console or portable Genesis devices before? I have, a few variants of it over a span of 5 years too. They're emulators, which should be fine, but in the case of ATGames they've licensed something from China running the Gopher aka: Firecore emulator. IT IS NOT ACCURATE. The largest problems would amount to 3 things. One, sound octave and pitch is off, some games very minor and not noticeable, other games though it will hurt your ears (not nails on a chalkboard bad but still bad.) Two, the system will NOT SAVE YOUR GAME (why Sonic 3 isn't included), so if you plan to put a game like Phantasy Star 2-4 in there, don't plan to ever shut it off until you're finished as it won't write a save to your game cartridge (and for the handheld using SD cards, it won't write saves to those either.) Three, it's not accurate in play/display either, various games will have some graphical failings, and a few to where the game is 100% broken such as Contra where the background won't move. That aside, it's fine, just go into it knowing that ATGames has NO interest in ever repairing or upgrading their softwaer, even having the balls to have a handheld one with Mega Man Wily Wars which requires saving to finish and open Wily Tower. Nintendo on the other hand it does save, and it has Zelda 1+2, FF1 and Kirby on there that do use a battery. It should also be pretty if not dead on accurate since they're making it and it's not farmed out to the cheapest source possible. In their case less (games) is more (quality.)
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

The thing that has had me pissed off on the subject is that sega announced the 25th sonic edition like they are putting this system up and not at games after the nes said they were releasing the mini.
For years sega we have had the crappy plug n plays before and you said nothing. And now Nintendo talks and you want to jump in.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

"We... we have a mini console, too!"
ejamer
128-bit

Post by ejamer »

mas wrote:The thing that has had me pissed off on the subject is that sega announced the 25th sonic edition like they are putting this system up and not at games after the nes said they were releasing the mini.
For years sega we have had the crappy plug n plays before and you said nothing. And now Nintendo talks and you want to jump in.

I can't get upset at that. Why not jump on some free marketing if you can grab headlines with a simple announcement. And from a business standpoint, boosting their sales by piggybacking on (and/or stealing a portion of) hype from someone else's product is totally reasonable.

I do feel bad for people who buy the Sega console without knowing the limitations though. Some of those are pretty huge - especially no saving when Phantasy Star games are on the console, and the fact that half of the 80 games included are just homebrew.

Nintendo better provide the emulation and build quality people expect though - if the NES mini console is as poorly made as the AtGames stuff I'll be sorely disappointed.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I was originally leaning against it, but I think it's going to be stripped down Wii hardware, which means the emulation will be very solid. I read somewhere (maybe here?) that M2 was behind the NES emulation on Wii.
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

I'm sorry that I made another thread leaning towards the nes mini again lol. But if sega wants to claim this they should go all in and make the games sound and look better. If your going to take some recognition in the new mega drive mini then back the thing up and fix the bugs so you can provide satisfaction to your fanbase