The Flight/Space Sim Thread

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
MrPopo

Re: The Flight/Space Sim Thread

Post by MrPopo »

Gunstar Green wrote:I'm probably one of the few people more excited for the Squadron 42 part than the Star Citizen part since it's a spiritual successor to the mainline Wing Commander games. I'm a little sad we'll probably never see a real new Wing Commander game but this is as close as you can get and has Chris Roberts at the helm.

I'm with you there. Squadron 42 is what sold me on the game.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Does KSP count?

Because the 1.0 release came out. Have over 100 hours in the pre-1.0 versions so I'm interested to toy with all the new stuff.

Going to be working on a review of it here soon.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

I use to be a huge space sim fan, but now I prefer my terrestrial flight sims with an arcade bend. Wings of Prey (aka IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey) is my bread and butter.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Glad I waited 6 months for those X-Wing/TIE Fighter collector's editions to finally make it to GOG! I downloaded them today. I always liked TIE Fighter more. The combat chamber missions is where its at, to at least learn all the keyboard controls again.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

ExedExes wrote:Glad I waited 6 months for those X-Wing/TIE Fighter collector's editions to finally make it to GOG! I downloaded them today. I always liked TIE Fighter more. The combat chamber missions is where its at, to at least learn all the keyboard controls again.

I just logged into my GOG to find TIE Fighter 1995 in there and FUCK YES, FUCK YES, FUCK... YES.

Never let it be said GOG doesn't listen to its patrons.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Woo! Just finished the second tour of duty in X-Wing. This game really makes you earn your victories; if you slack off the AI is very good at taking you down.

About the only thing that really annoys me is that several missions like to screw you over if you don't know what's coming and what targets you need to focus on.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I started up TIE Fighter for a change of pace before I pick up the expansions in X-Wing. I feel like TIE Fighter is much better balanced; there's a lot less screw you moments in it, and I'm halfway through. What's most impressive is the majority of my missions are in unshielded craft yet I don't feel like the odds are against me. I think some of it is due to the fact that you get a lot more allies in this game compared to X-Wing, where it's mostly just you vs. the Empire.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

MrPopo wrote:I started up TIE Fighter for a change of pace before I pick up the expansions in X-Wing. I feel like TIE Fighter is much better balanced; there's a lot less screw you moments in it, and I'm halfway through. What's most impressive is the majority of my missions are in unshielded craft yet I don't feel like the odds are against me. I think some of it is due to the fact that you get a lot more allies in this game compared to X-Wing, where it's mostly just you vs. the Empire.

That's exactly how I feel, and why I prefer TIE Fighter just a little more over X-Wing. I'm finding it easy to get those medals in the combat chamber, despite the fact that not every ship is armed or shielded well.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

I always viewed TIE Fighter as a genuine sequel. It takes what X-wing did and improved it in numerous ways. They added more depth to the missions, added lots of secrets and the one hidden path of missions that add a more story-driven experience that X-wing just didn't have.

X-wing Alliance is another shift towards a completely story driven game and is such a joy to play as well. I love how different the Star Wars Space sims differ from Wing Commander. a lot of people stated that the genre was stagnant, but when you look at Wing Commander vs. Privateer vs. Xwing/TIE Fighter, you can really see distinctive differences. Now, we are getting games like Star Citizen and No Man's Sky which are going to again bring about a revitalization of the genre and show that there can be a varied experience from these types of games.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.