Street Fighter V Announced. PS4 and PC Exclusive.

Brawlers and Beatemups
Niode
Next-Gen

Re: Street Fighter V Announced. PS4 and PC Exclusive.

Post by Niode »

Xeogred wrote:Exclusives are a good thing in my book...

But I'm with you guys, who are we kidding. This is Capcom, this will be the first of 10 versions and will inevitably be ported over to everything.

Then remade 10 years later.

Ultra Super Street Fighter 4K!
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Sload Soap wrote:Weird move to make it a PS4 exclusive. This is a series that's had ports and versions on just about anything you can name. Hopefully it's just a timed exclusive.

Could be the video was meant for Japan or something too, as it does have Japanese subtitles. The Xbox One has sold, what, like 30,000 units in that region? Might just not be worth the cost yet. Could also be that Capcom wants to do cross-platform play or something, and couldn't come to terms with MS for the network setup. It is, for example, why FFXIV: ARR is on Playstation and not Xbox.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

Will wait for SF V: DX Plus Alpha hyper Turbo GotY edition w/ season pass.
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

isiolia wrote:
Sload Soap wrote:Weird move to make it a PS4 exclusive. This is a series that's had ports and versions on just about anything you can name. Hopefully it's just a timed exclusive.

Could be the video was meant for Japan or something too, as it does have Japanese subtitles. The Xbox One has sold, what, like 30,000 units in that region? Might just not be worth the cost yet. Could also be that Capcom wants to do cross-platform play or something, and couldn't come to terms with MS for the network setup. It is, for example, why FFXIV: ARR is on Playstation and not Xbox.

That's nonsense. It's also on PC. FFXI was on PC, PS2 and Xbox 360. Square Enix just didn't think it would be worth the effort to get it working on 360 and Xbone in terms of install base. Who knows, they may have plans to bring it to Xbone somewhere down the line?

Ono-San has stated that he approached Capcom but they didn't give him enough money/man-power so he was approached by Sony. I'd say that Sony threw him some cash to make it PS4 console exclusive. It'll most likely be timed exclusive like Rise of the Tomb Raider is on Xbone.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Niode wrote:That's nonsense. It's also on PC. FFXI was on PC, PS2 and Xbox 360. Square Enix just didn't think it would be worth the effort to get it working on 360 and Xbone in terms of install base. Who knows, they may have plans to bring it to Xbone somewhere down the line?

Yes, XI was, but cross platform play was the reason given for XIV not coming to Xbox.
Could just be the PR excuse, granted, but it was the official excuse. I think with XI, it was earlier in the 360's life and MS just agreed to whatever they needed to in order for something with "Final Fantasy" in the title to get ported to their machine.

Regarding SFV, it's just me speculating :lol:
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Japan has been warming up and finding success on the PC as of late, so it could be becoming the norm for them.
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

isiolia wrote:
Niode wrote:That's nonsense. It's also on PC. FFXI was on PC, PS2 and Xbox 360. Square Enix just didn't think it would be worth the effort to get it working on 360 and Xbone in terms of install base. Who knows, they may have plans to bring it to Xbone somewhere down the line?

Yes, XI was, but cross platform play was the reason given for XIV not coming to Xbox.
Could just be the PR excuse, granted, but it was the official excuse. I think with XI, it was earlier in the 360's life and MS just agreed to whatever they needed to in order for something with "Final Fantasy" in the title to get ported to their machine.

Regarding SFV, it's just me speculating :lol:

If the reason was that Xbox policy doesn't allow cross-play with other platforms. It wasn't SquareEnix's choice or that it wasn't possible. It is possible but Microsoft bureaucratic policy prevented it. Despite the fact that FFXI was cross play with Playstation Network on PS2. Personally I think it's a scapegoat to save face. They can't openly say they wouldn't port it because it wouldn't be worth it as the potential market on those devices is limited seeing as FFXIII & FFXIII-2 sold almost 3 to 1 on the Sony platform. I'm confident if they had approached Microsoft they could've made an exception as they have done before with FFXI.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Niode wrote:If the reason was that Xbox policy doesn't allow cross-play with other platforms. It wasn't SquareEnix's choice or that it wasn't possible. It is possible but Microsoft bureaucratic policy prevented it. Despite the fact that FFXI was cross play with Playstation Network on PS2. Personally I think it's a scapegoat to save face. They can't openly say they wouldn't port it because it wouldn't be worth it as the potential market on those devices is limited seeing as FFXIII & FFXIII-2 sold almost 3 to 1 on the Sony platform. I'm confident if they had approached Microsoft they could've made an exception as they have done before with FFXI.

FFXIV was just one example (and the PS3/360 disparity there is mostly a matter of basically all sales in Japan going to the PS3 version, in the US they were pretty evenly split). CCP made similar comments regarding Dust 514. There was also the free Steam copy of Portal 2 with the PS3 version, to push people to link their PSN and Steam accounts, though that wasn't exactly cross-play.

Obviously you've got stuff like DC Universe Online there too, but that's Sony published.

There just seem to be indications, here and there, that MS is not as open about Live. Or that the two companies are opposed to PSN and Live being bridged. Defiance, reportedly, was developed to be playable across PC/360/PS3, but at release was split up. It's possible that's the rationale behind FFXI too - the PS2 isn't using PSN, it's using the Playonline launcher only, so maybe that's why MS allowed it.

Regardless, even if that were the reason, an Xbox version could just be the odd man out, unless Capcom is just really serious about a unified online community. :lol: Still, it's the kind of politics that might prevent or delay an Xbox version.
jay_red
Next-Gen

Post by jay_red »

Thanks publishers, for not giving me a reason to buy a new console! First I was sure MGS 5 would be the game that made me get a ps4, but since Ground Zeros is coming to PC, I dont see how MGS 5 wont. Now Street Fighter is also confirmed for PC, there has to be a pretty enticing exclusive for me to pick up a PS4.
My trade thread, updated 7/14
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30531&p=421248#p421248
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

jay_red wrote:Thanks publishers, for not giving me a reason to buy a new console! First I was sure MGS 5 would be the game that made me get a ps4, but since Ground Zeros is coming to PC, I dont see how MGS 5 wont. Now Street Fighter is also confirmed for PC, there has to be a pretty enticing exclusive for me to pick up a PS4.

I'll probably end up waiting for the first major hardware revision and subsequent price drop, just like I did with the PS3. They'll probably have some compelling exclusives by then, I should hope.