A scholarly article on piracy that uses RB forum threads!

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: A scholarly article on piracy that uses RB forum threads

Post by samsonlonghair »

OK, then you guess.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

samsonlonghair wrote:OK, then you guess.

My guess is that he may not have been a member. You don't have to be to read the forums.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

dsheinem wrote:
samsonlonghair wrote:OK, then you guess.

My guess is that he may not have been a member. You don't have to be to read the forums.

He specifically says he participated in the forums.

This is actually more than just an article using quotes from here; the whole latter half of the paper is an ethnography of this board, with the cultural aspect of piracy being the focus.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

True, the public can read the forums without signing up.

The author claims to be a member of the forums.
This was especially true in my case, as I have been a member of this
forum community for several years. Having established an ethnographic and participatory
status in this subculture, I observed its members’ interactions through an unobtrusive and
scholarly lens for roughly one year. Having been an active member of the forums in the
past and a also viewed the forums as a passive, unobtrusive observe in the current, I have
chosen to present my observations, findings, and general narrative of this narrative n the
first person.

If the author is truthful, he has been both an active member and an observer.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

samsonlonghair wrote: an active member of the forums in the
past and a also viewed the forums as a passive, unobtrusive observe in the current

I suppose I read this initially as someone who was just reading the forum actively but, yes, I think you are right that they were actively posting now that I read it again.

So finding them could be fun :lol:
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Post by samsonlonghair »

So, we're looking for a Canadian with a PhD who was a member here at racketboy before 2011.

Rebz, Winds, and MrHealthy are all Canadian; they all registered a few years before this paper was published. Any idea if they have PhDs?
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

samsonlonghair wrote:So, we're looking for a Canadian with a PhD who was a member here at racketboy before 2011.

Rebz, Winds, and MrHealthy are all Canadian; they all registered a few years before this paper was published. Any idea if they have PhDs?

possibly this guy (taught criminology)? - viewtopic.php?p=4691#p4691

Here's the author's linkedin page: http://ca.linkedin.com/pub/steven-downing/20/230/20a

So he also taught in Ohio and went to school in TX around the time that he may have joined here.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Post by samsonlonghair »

Yes, I saw Mega-Dan's post. I was just about to mention that.

It's not a perfect match though: Mega-Dan posted that in 2006 when he was planning on moving to Washington D.C. Steven Downing never lived in Washington and didn't start teaching criminology until 2007 according to LinkedIn.

Of course, we don't know if Mega-Dan ever did move to Washington, or if Steven Downing is 100% honest in his LinkedIn profile. So far, I'm just assuming that everything the author writes is truthful.

Still, he's a good guess.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

here's a related paper - possibly an early version, perhaps for a conference: http://www.albany.edu/scj/jcjpc/vol17is1/Downing7_3.pdf

more retro gaming stuff in there, too.

I am thinking of emailing the guy at his university account and asking him to come post here :)
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Post by flojocabron »

How the guy thought he would be, trying to learn about us!

How we actually are

I wonder if he knows he's been compromised? Has he, does he check rackeboy regularly?

This article was made in 2011 would his opinion and ours still match with his article today?

Now that PS3/360/Wii is old hardware, what would he think about our habits now?

A lot of habits/opinions can change in three years. Is he working on a follow-up?

Well, at least he was smart to choose Racketboy as his subject matter. I've heard plenty of stories from other members here about how bad/crazy/horrible it is on other forums.
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4