Attitudes towards game studies and general gaming culture

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Re: Attitudes towards game studies and general gaming cultur

Post by Hazerd »

Ack wrote:
Hazerd wrote:
Ack wrote:And that's fine, but many of us do, so we'll politely ask you don't knock it when we do. Because you may not realize it, but you're also knocking art as a whole, be it film, literature, poetry, theater, painting, and so forth. Games may be a strange addition to our means of expressing and conveying ideas, but they are a part of it nonetheless.

How am i knocking art as a whole, how stuck up can you be, im just trying to be more down to earth, while your head is above the clouds.

Because you're asking what's the point of considering or thinking about games at all. And as games are a form of expression, then you are implying that expression shouldn't be considered. Your "down to earth" is to have the intellectual curiosity of a rock.

More proof that you think your high and mighty mr mod!
Ack

Post by Ack »

Hazerd wrote:More proof that you think your high and mighty mr mod!

...right.

Anyway, sorry for the thread getting hijacked, Norris.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

Hazerd wrote:More proof that you think your high and mighty mr mod!

Did someone pee on your cheerios this morning?

You come to a thread just to say "THIS IS DUMB, I'M NOT INTERESTED IN THIS" and when someone says "Hey, I am interested in this" you start complaining how people act "high and mighty"?

By the way, the attraction towards breasts is well researched and explained from several fronts. It's biologically and socially interesting. Shame you find those fields of research dumb.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

Hey im just stating my attitude and thoughts toward the subject :D

It doesnt appeal to me, and i cant be the only one who finds this over the top and "who cares" mentality.

Also boobs, i like them.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Hazerd wrote:
It doesnt appeal to me, and i cant be the only one who finds this over the top and "who cares" mentality.

There's a difference between not caring about something (apathy) and stating that those who do are being absurd in some fashion (argument).
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

dsheinem wrote:
Hazerd wrote:

There's a difference between not caring about something (apathy) and stating that those who do are being absurd in some fashion (argument).

Ok well, i "think" this study into gaming is absurd and takes the enjoyment out of gaming for ME, and the fact you teach a course on this, i would probably never take it, i like to think my gaming hobby is sorta niche and isnt something as widely spread as it really has gone.

DO WE HAVE A SHRINK IN THE HOUSE!?

*lays down*
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Comes into a thread to take a shit on it, wonders why people don't take that too well.
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

AppleQueso wrote:Comes into a thread to take a shit on it, wonders why people don't take that too well.

Because everyone agrees with everything everyone says, right?

Im letting these fine folks know that there is ppl out there who dont agree with them.

You walk down the street you cant expect ppl not to judge you, right?
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Hazerd wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:Comes into a thread to take a shit on it, wonders why people don't take that too well.

Im letting these fine folks know that there is ppl out there who dont agree with them.

Of course, surely, without your input, they would never have known that there are people who don't think this subject is worth pursuing.

Look, whether you care or not, this area of study and analysis will enable the next generation of game designers to approach the medium with a deeper understating of how to effectively utilize it. Not just "artsy" stuff either, new techniques, design philosophies, and ideas could be developed that would be incorporated all across the spectrum. In other words, the end result will be even better games for you to enjoy.

No reason to knock it.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Hazerd wrote:

You aren't merely saying you "don't agree" with my/Ack/Norris/etc.'s thinking, you are saying that our way of thinking is "absurd". That introduces a claim of value that invites/provokes defense and response, which apparently you can't stand up to when pressed. It's fine if you don't want to think critically about games, their cultural impact, the community dynamics that form around them, etc. - but to just toss off that doing so is "absurd" with no more defense than "because I don't like to do that" is a shit argument.

tldr (like the OMGHUGE article in the OP!): you are acting like a giant douche and should probably piss off out of this thread