Guacamelee!

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Re: Guacamelee!

Post by Gamerforlife »

Holy Crap! This thing has a Platinum trophy! Did I not get the memo about digital download, fifteen dollar games having full trophy support now?
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
flex wood
Next-Gen

Post by flex wood »

Stark wrote:
flex wood wrote:The game looks amazing! I'm extremely excited for this but I'm also torn. I don't want to pick it up just yet since I have a feeling it will either end up free for plus members or at least heavily discounted, 25 to 50%, for plus members soon. Damn you Sony why do you do this to me? I don't like second guessing my every purchase.

Congratulations! It is discounted this very moment at 20% off for Plus members!

Well I guess I have no excuse not to buy it then do I? Will download at some point this week. Having some kind of discount at launch like this does really do wonders to alleviate my fears of buying games and worrying about them going free and what not. If there is at least some discount I won't feel bad about it when the fifty percent off comes or when it goes free since I'm still supporting the devs and I get to save monies.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

It's pretty great so far (I've played like 20 minutes) and I really like the art style and the music.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

I just finished the second boss fight and acquired my fifth or sixth ability. I kind of lost count. For a metroidvania title, the game is more Metroid than Vania, not saying that's a bad thing. There's no leveling, no inventory, no magic attacks, or other rpg elements. This makes it different from a game like Dust: An Elysian Tail, which had a lot of those Symphony of the Night inspired rpg elements. This is a much more straightforward action platform game.

It has a pretty cool combat system, not quite as fluid as Dust's combat, but more challenging. There's definitely a strong beat 'em up feel here with combos, dodges, pop up attacks, and grabs. One gripe I have though is that combat gets annoying when they start throwing barriers into play.

All my enemy encounters now consist of me fighting groups of enemies that I can't damage until I break through their barriers. There is like five different types of barriers. Some require you to hit an enemy with a specific attack. One requires you to do a big combo on an enemy in order to break his barrier. It gets annoying when you're fighting like five different enemies who all have a different barrier up. And if you don't kill them within a certain amount of time after you break their barrier, they'll pull it back up. On top of that, certain enemies can only be hurt in the dead world, and others in the living world, but they can all hurt you no matter which one you're in. So you can be fighting three guys, while there's another guy in the dead world taking cheap shots at you who you can't do damage to unless you switch over to the dead world, which then makes you unable to damage the guys still in the living world. Combat feels a bit more complicated in this game than it needs to be sometimes. It reminds me of games like Silhouette Mirage and Outland with all the back and forth world switching and the enemies all having different colored shields to break through

The music is really good, but gets a bit repetitive. There doesn't seem to be that many different tracks in the game. What's there is cool though, it's like Mexican flavored electronic music, with a lot of horn use and some acoustic guitar.

The basic plot isn't anything amazing. Villain kidnaps girl, hero must save her. That sort of thing, but the characters are great. They look cool and they have funny dialog. Nothing here is voiced though unfortunately, unlike Dust: An Elysian Tail, but some people will prefer this approach. There's a ton of references in this game, many of which are in Spanish, but still recognizable to a non Spanish speaker. Most of these references are sprinkled throughout the environment, so it gives you a good reason to really look around in every area you're in. For example, if you're in a desert and check out the background, you might notice a cactus shaped like a Cactuar from Final Fantasy.

Definitely enjoying the game. It's very similar to Dust: An Elysian Tail, just a bit harder and minus the rpg elements and voice acting.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

I love how the main character seems to be wearing some kind of title belt around his waist like a real luchador. This game definitely appeals to the wrestling fan in me. I love doing the suplex move on enemies :D
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I am about 2 hours in - enjoying it very much! I am playing on the Vita thus far...
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

The game has just not so subtly told me that I'm about to head into the final area, so I've been backtracking and trying to 100% the maps.

One thing I'm fascinated by is these 6 orbs scattered about the world map. I've acquired 2 so far and it was NOT easy. One of them required a grueling gauntlet of platforming challenges and the other had me going throughout a long and complicated maze. This seems like this game's equivalent to getting all the chaos emeralds in a Sonic game. I wonder what happens if you get them all. I hope it's a badass upgrade of some kind :D
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

99% completion!

I feel like this:

I just need to find one more treasure, get one more orb, and fight the last boss to beat the game. Then maybe I'll play hard mode and work on some of those trophies I'm missing. This game is really tough sometimes. I was getting my butt handed to me in some parts with some tough enemy encounters and nasty platforming sections. The last area of the game really felt like a gauntlet.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Gamerforlife wrote:99% completion!

I feel like this:

I just need to find one more treasure, get one more orb, and fight the last boss to beat the game. Then maybe I'll play hard mode and work on some of those trophies I'm missing. This game is really tough sometimes. I was getting my butt handed to me in some parts with some tough enemy encounters and nasty platforming sections. The last area of the game really felt like a gauntlet.

I'm in the war temple. Ignoring going for completion, how close to the end am I?
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

dsheinem wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:99% completion!

I feel like this:

I'm in the war temple. Ignoring going for completion, how close to the end am I?

I think you have more area (Sierra) where you'll get your last ability and a fairly challenging boss fight, then the final stage is after that.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote: