LASER CED VHD Disc Guide: The Forgotten Jog Shuttle Dial

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
Jamisonia
128-bit

Re: WTB/WTTF: Pioneer DVL-919 Laserdisc/DVD player

Post by Jamisonia »

I'll update when I receive the remote. The biggest thing I'm bummed about if mine doesn't support digital audio is the Star Wars Definitive Collection, because the only soundtrack for the movie is digital! The 1/L and 2/R are commentary tracks, and the movie soundtrack is digital PCM only.
Jamisonia
128-bit

Post by Jamisonia »

I obtained the manual and it specifically states it will not play the digital soundtracks. I found a combi LD/DVD player like the original poster described, and I have some important information I have found out about them. Component output will not work with LD playback, only DVD playback. Additionally its not for sure that using s-video on LD players would be better as the LD is recorded in composite format like VHS, so either the LD player's comb filter is separating the signal or your TV is, so it comes down to which one is better. Most likely your TVs is.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Jamisonia wrote:I obtained the manual and it specifically states it will not play the digital soundtracks. I found a combi LD/DVD player like the original poster described, and I have some important information I have found out about them. Component output will not work with LD playback, only DVD playback. Additionally its not for sure that using s-video on LD players would be better as the LD is recorded in composite format like VHS, so either the LD player's comb filter is separating the signal or your TV is, so it comes down to which one is better. Most likely your TVs is.
Thanks. I didn't know that about Component connection. Can you provide a link, ill add that to the guide.

S-Video should give a better pic over Composite, keeping the Chroma and Luma channels separate. However since Laser Discs are "recorded" in Composite, this will depend on if the TV or Laser Disc can do a better separation of the channels.

ATTACHMENT IS PLACE HOLDER FOR SIGNATURE SYSTEM LIST
Attachments
CRTGAMER Signatue System List.png
CRTGAMER Signatue System List.png (5.2 KiB) Viewed 3052 times
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:56 am, edited 6 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Jamisonia
128-bit

Post by Jamisonia »

http://www.mindspring.com/~laserguru/digitalage.html

This article contains the part about the component connections.

It also states the part about s-video most likely not being better. S-video is better for all the sources we typically work with because the information starts out in a component form, so all we're doing is keeping things separated until it gets to the TV. In a LD and VHS tape the signal is already encoded onto the medium itself in a composite format, so not matter what, at some point the Chroma and Luminance signals are combined. This is unlike DVD, BD, HD DVD, and game systems where the signal is stored on the medium separated. LD players that have s-video connections have comb filters to separate composite signal into Y/C and send it out s-video. TVs have this filter as well, so it comes down to which device has the better filter. Only one North American Laserdisc player, the Pioneer CLD-99 has a 3D comb filter, which almost all HDTVs are equipped with, so is all likeliness your LD player's s-video connection will not be superior to its composite connection.

This isn't the only place on the internet I've read this information about s-video on LD players. I have also read this on AVS forums. CRT why don't you try to switch to composite on your LD player and see if it looks better, the same, or worse?
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

That is a great article, I updated the OP with a link and a pasted quote concerning the Composite and SVideo connections. Your Reply is the first time I read about the Composite recording on the press runs. I can see that taking place on the Discovision era discs. It is strange the newer digital sound discs would be pressed from a composite recording.

I should check this for a possible better pic. The Laser Disc scan line resolution is lower then a DVD and the pic does seem clear. So I wonder if I will much of a difference in the pic quality. A pain to pull my Laser Disc Player out of the wall unit, especially the 200 pound HD CRT.

Special thanks to Ack for moving this thread to the Guides section. :D
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Laser Disc Guide: The Forgotten Jog Shuttle Dial

Post by CRTGAMER »

Got a PM from Jamisonia, I prefer to answer back at this thread for sharing information. I removed the sale link so not to jeopardize the potential purchase.
Jamisonia wrote:Hey There's a lot for sale near me

I want the CLD 704 for my personal use, but it also comes with an unverified Pioneer PR 8210 with a box. From my reading the PR 8210 appears to be a gaming LD player meant to go into an arcade rig.
One thing that is an absolute must, is get one with with a Jog Shuttle Wheel. Even better if both the player and the remote has that dial.

That is a great price considering all the movies included. A good idea having an extra laser player for a backup, getting harder to find decent ones. You could set up the spare in the bedroom.

Looking over Google Images of the model numbers:

One is a Top Loader with an older Tube Laser. Some Laser purists claim the tube lasers offer a better pic. If anything this one is a premium feature laden top loader. No digital freeze for CLV discs though.

The other has Jog Shuttle on the player! The remote probably has it too. Very likely has all the digital sound features you were concerned about earlier. There is a larger pic in the OP.

Jump on this, its a great deal!

Some points to consider
Have you heard of Laser Rot? It does happen on some discs, even my Criterion Blade Runner movie has this problem. The internal corrosion from moisture in the glue during the manufacturing process. Sometimes takes years to show up in the video. Some movies in that collection will have this. Besides DVDs do offer a lot better resolution 480p pic.

Buy Laser for the Jog Shuttle, collectability and out of print videos, but I wouldn't make it the primary movie player.

I updated the OP with info about Laser Rot.
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Received this PM, I prefer to answer PMs in a related Thread to get other points of view.

kingmohd84 wrote:Hello, whats up?

I wanted to ask you something
I kind of have a problem with nostalgia and i kind got the itch to get a Laser Disc player am not sure where to get one or the videos.

Do you think it would be worthwhile to get one?
especially that its really old, probably have problem working as no new ones available and quality is not so great?

am afraid its too expensive

Do you know how many titles are available for the system?

out of the subject, but do you know how many titles have been released for D VHS?

Check the OP to help you decide. That said I would only get a Laser Disc for nostalgia, out of print titles and the interactivity of the beautiful Jog Shuttle dial. A good Laser Disc that really shows off the unique capabilities is the Space Archive series I mentioned in the OP.

The OP also has links to Laser Disc information including a complete Laser Disc library.

I'm have not seen any DVHS players, my guess is not too many movies went that route. The random acess of DVD and BlueRay beats DVHS and DVRs are better for recording time shifting.

For picture quality DVD and BlueRay are better.

Betamax001
Next-Gen

Post by Betamax001 »

I saw that you mentioned something about the Apes speaking Japanese on the Planet of the Apes laserdisc. What's with that?
NES, SNES, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GCN, Wii, PS3, 360, GB, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, PSP 3000, and 3DS XL

PSN ID: SaturnXMKII
Steam ID: betamax001
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Betamax001 wrote:I saw that you mentioned something about the Apes speaking Japanese on the Planet of the Apes laserdisc. What's with that?

The Japanese Laser Disc pressing of the American Planet of the Apes movie. The 1985 pressing by CBS Fox has an English track with Japanese subtitles. However, the earlier 1981 release by Magnetic Video has two audio tracks, one in English and the other in Japanese. The B Movie is hilarious when you see the apes talking in Japanese. :D

http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/44988/FY515-26MA/Planet-of-the-Apes-(1968)

AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Would it be worth mentioning the Laseractive in this thread?