Are differences between East and West gamers an illusion?

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
flamepanther
Next-Gen

Re: Are differences between East and West gamers an illusion?

Post by flamepanther »

gradualmeltdown wrote:I believe the differences are real in specific gamplay example's. For instance, the competitive Street Fighter scene is very different between Japanese and American players. The shortest explanation is population density and arcade availability. Japanese players have access to local peer groups and lots of multi tiered competitions throughout Japan. If a game can be played they can find a challenge and become better at it.
Isn't that a difference in the environment rather than a difference in the gamers themselves?

There may be some differences, but I think they are most likely exaggerated. Even games as extremely "Japanese" as Katamari Damacy can be a huge hit with gamers in the west. I suspect that a lot of the supposed divide is fueled by differences in marketing and availability as much as by any inherent preference in games.
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen

Post by AmishSamurai »

I remember reading something that mentioned Eastern gamers being automatically dismissive of Western games on the grounds that Western = bad. I know that is similar with Western gamers referring to a lot of Japanese games as automatically being "weaboo kiddy shit" or something involving one of those three words. But honestly, a game is a game.
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.

I'm a girl btw
flamepanther
Next-Gen

Post by flamepanther »

AmishSamurai wrote:I remember reading something that mentioned Eastern gamers being automatically dismissive of Western games on the grounds that Western = bad. I know that is similar with Western gamers referring to a lot of Japanese games as automatically being "weaboo kiddy shit" or something involving one of those three words. But honestly, a game is a game.
Once upon a time, most Western console games were generally a lot less polished. We're long past that, but it's understandable if there's a lingering stigma.
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

Post by Bradtemple87 »

flamepanther wrote:
AmishSamurai wrote:I remember reading something that mentioned Eastern gamers being automatically dismissive of Western games on the grounds that Western = bad. I know that is similar with Western gamers referring to a lot of Japanese games as automatically being "weaboo kiddy shit" or something involving one of those three words. But honestly, a game is a game.
Once upon a time, most Western console games were generally a lot less polished. We're long past that, but it's understandable if there's a lingering stigma.

True, I also thing western gamers have been exposed to a lot more styles of gaming that broadened opinions.
MY Sale/Trade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27739
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

I think it is not an illusion and there is probably statistical data to indicate this division.

Of course there are exceptions, but from a commercial point of view that cares about large numbers of gamers, I think there is truly a different demographic.

It is like gender differences in gaming preference. There are certainly gamer women that like many games of different types, but a big portion of them seem to prefer certain kinds of games (according to what the sales numbers indicate, I may be interpreting wrong).
Similarly there is no question that some games sell very well in the East and not so well in the West and vice-versa. As someone who tends to like games from genres that do not have a big fanbase in the West, I get constantly reminded of this fact when games that I would like to play are not localized.

Ivo.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

J T wrote:I think to label something as Japanese or American is kind of a misnomer that doesn't say much about it at all and only serves to reinforce an artificial divide between the cultures that is unnecessary and actually to our detriment as developers fear bringing games over seas.

QFT
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Croooow!
128-bit

Post by Croooow! »

J T wrote:I think to label something as Japanese or American is kind of a misnomer that doesn't say much about it at all and only serves to reinforce an artificial divide between the cultures that is unnecessary and actually to our detriment as developers fear bringing games over seas.

I agree that stressing a divide between American and Japanese gamers needlessly prevents some games from being brought overseas. However, I agree with Breetai in that the division isn't so artificial. Under different cultural environmental circumstances psychologies and tastes can differ considerably. The differences aren't permanent and can be altered given how the brain works, but a lifetime of seeing the world the way your society decides makes differences very real and difficult to change.
"There are two ways to get enough. One way is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less." G.K. Chesterton

J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Croooow! wrote:I agree that stressing a divide between American and Japanese gamers needlessly prevents some games from being brought overseas. However, I agree with Breetai in that the division isn't so artificial. Under different cultural environmental circumstances psychologies and tastes can differ considerably. The differences aren't permanent and can be altered given how the brain works, but a lifetime of seeing the world the way your society decides makes differences very real and difficult to change.

I agree. Breetai is right in that regard. Clearly, there are differences between the cultures, and some of those differences show up in the videogames produced from different regions. However, it used to be that just about all we saw in the United States were games from Japan and we either never realized that or never cared. The games were fun. Nobody thought of Super Mario Bros. as a japanese platformer. No one called Dragon Warrior a JRPG back then. Castlevania, Metroid, The Legend of Zelda, Mega Man... all Japanese games.. But nobody bothered to highlight that these were all Japanese and they sold in the US just fine. A good game is a good game regardless of where it is developed.

It doesn't bother me to know where a game was developed though. In fact, I've been excited by games simply because they were from an area that didn't traditionally make games. Zeno Clash, for example, was developed by a team based in Chile and I was really excited about that because a different culture can add some unique flavor (and Zeno Clash successfully did just that). I also like when we get the occasional Japanese game that is steeped in Japanese culture, like Yakuza, Okami, or Persona 4. That's the great thing about diversity. You get to experience things that you might have not thought of because of the cuture you were brought up in.

But the East VS West thing showing up more frequently recently in game discussion has become more of a battle. Us and them. It's not about the richness of experience that diversity can bring, it's about who makes things "better" and who fits in one group and who fits in another. It's divisive. It shouldn't be like that.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

Flake wrote:@Breetai

Off and on, a few months. Most of my deployments left me spending some time in random parts of the country.

Army? Did you get much time to immerse in the culture?

Cool that you've been able to get around, for sure!
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I think the divide is thinning as the Internet makes us a more global culture but we're not there yet.

As far as Eastern styles and Western styles go, as cultures we have generalized tastes and that are reflected in the media created but as individuals we have personal tastes that transcend cultural boundaries.