What color of DVD cases should I use for Saturn games?

Discussion of scanning, archiving, and printing things such as magazines, manuals, video captures, and game covers
the7k
Next-Gen

Re: What color of DVD cases should I use for Saturn games?

Post by the7k »

jfrost wrote:Any reason you prefer the black atwork? I mean, since you already had them in white, it's kinda bothersome to go and change all the covers.

Black cases are extremely easy to find. White cases, not so much. In fact, the only way I can get white cases is to order them online.

Plus, I just like the black template. It goes well with my PS2, Xbox and Gamecube games.
jfrost
Next-Gen

Post by jfrost »

jfrost wrote:For me in particular, I would just use DVD cases because most of my games will likely be burned. Even with burned games, I want them to be displayed nicely on my shelf. I understand it's quite easy to find Dreamcast games for cheap in other countries, but it isn't in Brazil.

Oh, one more thing, if I stick to legit game copies, it's much cheaper to buy them loose. With DVD cases, they'll still look good on the shelf. Complete copies often go for too much money.
jfrost
Next-Gen

Post by jfrost »

Reverend wrote:I just gotta say, sweet avatar. Its tasteful enough to keep you out of the fanboy category, but still very awesome. 8)

Thanks. I tried other, less subtle picture before, but it looked awful. But this was perfect :)
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

jfrost wrote:Oh, one more thing, if I stick to legit game copies, it's much cheaper to buy them loose. With DVD cases, they'll still look good on the shelf. Complete copies often go for too much money.

The reason I started DVD casing games was partly because of this. I bought a copy of Shining the Holy Ark without a case, because cased copies were uber expensive.

Another reason, also related to the Saturn, is the way they cased games in different regions. US were in long boxes, while Japanese were in Jewel cases. The only way to have Night Warriors right next to Vampire Savior is to custom case the both of them.

I then started DVD casing all my jewel-case based games because, like you said, they are more resilient. Most of my valuable jewel cases (Metal Gear Solid, Marvel vs Capcom 1 & 2, Final Fantasy VII, etc.) are already heavily cracked and damaged - no reason to further the destruction.
porkchop87
8-bit

Post by porkchop87 »

I don't want to hijack the topic but...

How do you guys print your artwork? What's my best option to make my artwork as believable as possible? Printing it with an inkjet printer and plain paper seems kind of crummy. Especially when people open it up and see a real game inside. If it was burnt it's one thing, but I want to have DVD covers that are as close to the real thing as possible.

Somebody should invent an online store that sells high quality replica video game inserts and cover artwork.
jfrost
Next-Gen

Post by jfrost »

I just print them in regular A4 paper with a regular printer (which is a Lexmark 2690: http://pcmag.uol.com.br/bs.media/full/Lexmark/lexmark2690.jpg) and cut the margins. Glossy paper just wastes your money, since the plastic on the DVD cases already gives the glossy effect.

You should consider trying to print some cover and seeing how it goes. It was just like that for me, I tried printing a cover for God Hand and it just looked awesome. Don't underestimate your printer.
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

I use a Kodak EasyShare 5100 All-In-One Printer I got off of woot.com for $50. I use Kodak Gloss Photo Paper, and the standard Kodak printer ink.

The first reactions I got when people saw my custom covers was "Wow! This looks better than the real thing!" And they really do. High Quality Print Paper will make your stuff look better than real covers.
alexandre
8-bit

Post by alexandre »

the7k wrote:I use a Kodak EasyShare 5100 All-In-One Printer I got off of woot.com for $50. I use Kodak Gloss Photo Paper, and the standard Kodak printer ink.

The first reactions I got when people saw my custom covers was "Wow! This looks better than the real thing!" And they really do. High Quality Print Paper will make your stuff look better than real covers.

Such a expensive way, isn't it? Not for the printer, but for the glossy paper.
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

$13 for 100 sheets is expensive? That's how much they cost at my nearest Best Buy.
fast
Next-Gen

Post by fast »

I went black for Dreamcast and Saturn, White for Cube and Wii, and Red for PSX. But I am doing my covers a bit different - spine, front logo, and then just text info on the back.