US FZ-10 to PAL FZ-10 VCD adaptor

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
Thierry Henry
Next-Gen

US FZ-10 to PAL FZ-10 VCD adaptor

Post by Thierry Henry »

Hopefully there might be some folks here better versed than yours truly on the 3DO that might offer me some assistance. :)

So recently I bought a FZ-10 VCD adaptor from Germany, and apparently it's the PAL version. It has German text on the box, amongst English for example.
The adaptor has no external power source. The item looks new/unused.

So the issue is when I connect it to my US 3DO system the VCD logo does show once the system is turned on but no matter which type of VCD I use it just gives me a blank screen. I mean the console does try to load for a short while but then goes silent.
I should add I have no issues at all in playing games or audio cd's. So the drive itself works fine.

So guys could this be a region issue? I wouldn't have thought so as I was always of the understanding that the system (aside from a few games?) and accessories were region free.
"There are three kinds of suns in Missouri: Sunshines, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Re: US FZ-10 to PAL FZ-10 VCD adaptor

Post by TEKTORO »

I don't think there is a region issue but I wouldn't rule it out. First is your 3DO 100% operational, does the system still boot up good and saves games, nothing quirky etc.

Secondly try to reinstall the unit and test how it's sitting/ connecting to the 3DO. Check for a sweet spot to see if it stops and fixes. Then if not it can go deeper from here as far as testing various behaviors internal batteries and such if any till you trace the source. Or maybe the unit is DOA check for anyone having this similar problem, or the 3DO forums.

Wish I knew more, I never had the VCD attachment. But I had a CDi with this similar issue and all I did was reinstall the VCD and set it in a bit better, worked.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

There is an official Sega Saturn VCD adapter for PAL regions. Certain other models are listed as both PAL and NTSC compatible.

This makes me think your issue is related to coding/region of the VCDS themselves versus system/accessory. That MPEG1 module is likely designed the read PAL encoded VCDs only.

Just my 2 cents based on my experience with the format, not specifically as it related to the 3DO.
Thierry Henry
Next-Gen

Post by Thierry Henry »

Jagosaurus wrote:There is an official Sega Saturn VCD adapter for PAL regions. Certain other models are listed as both PAL and NTSC compatible.

This makes me think your issue is related to coding/region of the VCDS themselves versus system/accessory. That MPEG1 module is likely designed the read PAL encoded VCDs only.

It's what I initially came up with as well when I first tried that adaptor out.
So I went and grabbed a couple of my "Made in Germany" VCD movies.
No joy. They don't play on it either.

But a member over at the Assembler forums suggested that my issue could well be one of "50hz/60hz mismatch".

So that got me to thinking and the rest of this afternoon I tracked down a local gaming collector (yes, I can be persistent when I want to :P ) and fortunately he was willing to help me out with his 3DO system. South Africa is designated as a PAL territory so I was banking on him having a PAL unit. And indeed he did!

Tried out the VCD adaptor on his console. Bingo!
No problems whatsoever. The playback of VCD material worked great on his system.

So even though I can't use the item at least I know it works. :roll: :lol:
"There are three kinds of suns in Missouri: Sunshines, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Ah ok cool. True @ Hz. So do NTSC movies run as well?

Some VCDS look quite good. Others are crappie. All depends on the transfer.

Keep in mind you can also run 95%+ of the Philips CDi movies. Just avoid the handful that say "digital video" on the bottom left versus "Video CD"

One of the 3DO MPEG modules (Goldstar IIRC) was actually bundled with the Total Recall Phillips CDi VCD.