Splinter Cell Blacklist

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Opa Opa

Re: Splinter Cell Blacklist

Post by Opa Opa »

CavZee wrote:Never played Splinter Cell before, would that be a problem if I decide to play this one at some point?

I think the story for each game is pretty much self-contained. I believe you'd be fine playing this.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

I just saw the CGR video, and Mark was killing everything in sight! Plus, it looks like you get rewarded for kills now! This series is not an FPS, as far as I know! What happened to the stealth? I miss the mission rating system already.

CavZee wrote:Never played Splinter Cell before, would that be a problem if I decide to play this one at some point?

You can start with any one of them, but as I've been working from the beginning of the series, there are a few references made to previous games, and the overall story does string along somewhat from the first game, character-wise, but not so much event wise.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

ExedExes wrote:I just saw the CGR video, and Mark was killing everything in sight!

Does that really surprise you? :lol:

Seems like Dishonored. You can be stealthy or you can just light everything up.

Oh, and it IS an FPS when you play as the Mercs in Spies vs Mercs mode. :P
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
optmusprimenumber
Next-Gen

Post by optmusprimenumber »

Just picked this up today.. finished the first mission so far. Everything seems just about right so far. I haven't been let down by any in the series starting with Chaos Theory. I played the first 2 after CT and the differences were upsetting. (Climb a ladder and automatically stand like a super hero when you get to the top?!) Mainly the punishing restarts for being spotted. This one is kind of tough.. but I need to brush up on my Splinter Cell chops.. been playing a lot of Deus Ex RH:DC. The AI in Blacklist is noticeably more formidable than Deus Ex's. The game is smooth and taking guys out while they're angrily staring you in the face is satisfying. Conviction had it and it's one of those things I always wished for whenever playing older stealth games. The bastards fight back sometimes lol and they're pretty good at it. I'm playing on Normal for now.

To anyone starting with this installment, I can definitely recommend playing Chaos Theory, as well as both versions of Double Agent. The oXBox version is practically a CT 2, gameplay wise, and the 360 version is the first that-gen installment in the series. I believe it was with that version they started messing with AI patterns on restarts. You could work out a little routine, mess it up, try it all over again, but the enemies would walk in different places and inspect different things for varying amounts of time (iirc).. it gets challenging. Otherwise it's a pretty classic and polished (for it's time) Splinter Cell game. And I agree that you won't get lost playing the series out of order.

And Conviction is awesome, but it's stupid you have to kill everyone. It's ridiculous but the game is built very well. You could sneak up on a guy, grab him, and Sam will just dump half a clip into him. The co-op in Conviction was a lot of fun too. I'll have to look more into the co-op options on Blacklist.

How's everyone faring? Carved out of wood yet?

Btw, I haven't watched more than the first video in this playlist, but I found this guy's YouTube page a week ago and turns out Blacklist is one of the games he slays: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTVwOxcc ... D6&index=1
Last edited by optmusprimenumber on Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

It's only $20 at GameStop for the Wii U version so I thought about picking it up.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
optmusprimenumber
Next-Gen

Post by optmusprimenumber »

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:It's only $20 at GameStop for the Wii U version so I thought about picking it up.

It was on sale for 360 as well. I don't have a Wii U yet.. I'm intrigued by games like Splinter Cell and Deus Ex using that tablet controller though. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna need one of those eventually.