2D Shooters Invade
hashiriya1
Next-Gen

Re: Shmup of the Month Club 2013 (Air Gallet)

by hashiriya1 Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:38 am

I chose Air Gallet but it just had to be on the month when I was overseas an had no time to play. I picked up a copy of Crimzon Clover before I left Japan so I'll try it out soon.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:58 am

It was a shame not many people got to play Air Gallet, but for how amazing a presentation it was, a lot more attention to graphics and sound (loved Stage 3 and the zooming battleship as well as the music), but in all honesty, there was not a lot of strategy or tips that could be discussed. It was as straightforward as they come, just make sure you get those point medals when they were at 2000 pts. I still like the game very much and I'm glad we were able to do it.

I also picked up Chaos Field yesterday; if I can get to it, I'll get a score on that thread there.

Some new progress on CC - and if they make an arcade game out of it, it would be money!

ExedExes - 6,629,034,570 - Stage 2 - x4401 - Type I

ExedExes - 6,720,493,640 - Stage 2 - x2956 - Type II

That Stage 2 boss is a killer, not only do you have to watch the shots, it also uses physical attacks!
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
EllertMichael
Next-Gen

by EllertMichael Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:20 pm

dsheinem wrote:
EllertMichael wrote:
So, how exactly do I get CC running on a MacBook?

I think via Wine. Have you tried that yet? I seem to think there's a thread on shmups.org...

I just spent 5 hours setting up wine, only to have it fail at the very end. :x Defeated.
Oh, well... I'm just gonna go play my Thunder Dragon PCB in my Egret II.
Have a fun month, dudes.
brunoafh
Next-Gen

by brunoafh Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:39 pm

FINAL AIR GALLET SCORES

ChrisH2049 - 2,051,750 - Stage 4
DocHauser - 1,809,580 - Stage 4
ExedExes - 1,805,590 - Stage 4
jepjepjep - 1,456,120 - Stage 4
mjmjr25 - 1,281,280 - Stage 4
fvgazi - 216,340 - Stage 2
mjmjr25

Re: Shmup of the Month Club 2013 (Crimzon Clover)

by mjmjr25 Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:19 pm

I'm thinking my joy2key setup isn't working, i'll have to do more troubleshooting.

Was hoping I could get my stick to be recognize on its own. The PC recognzies it (its a MS 360 stick) but not sure how to get CC to recognize it. Went into the config menu and could change it on the keyboard, but not on stick. Any help would be great!!!!!!!!!!!

So anyways, via joy2key i'm only getting stick and button 1 to respond. Button 2 and Button 3 don't seem to be doing anything...what should they be doing?

How does chaining work - is it killing enemies, or collecting the gold? In order to collect gold, you have to stop shooting so it "attracts to you" but then you stop killing enemies...any thoughts here?

Boss fight, 1st boss on original mode wasn't hard...but it was a solid 3+ minute battle, pretty repetitive, is there something i'm missing in this regard, or is just hold yr shot and weave the bullets for 3 minutes?

Those who are doing well - please school us!
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:45 pm

mjmjr25 wrote:I'm thinking my joy2key setup isn't working, i'll have to do more troubleshooting.

Was hoping I could get my stick to be recognize on its own. The PC recognzies it (its a MS 360 stick) but not sure how to get CC to recognize it. Went into the config menu and could change it on the keyboard, but not on stick. Any help would be great!!!!!!!!!!!

So anyways, via joy2key i'm only getting stick and button 1 to respond. Button 2 and Button 3 don't seem to be doing anything...what should they be doing?

You're in luck. I happen to also be using Joy2Key since the options they give for configuring keys aren't as robust as in MAME. For my PC pad, this is my configuration using the default keys from CC. Assign the buttons like this, and you should be good to go. Z is button 1 (shot), X is button 2 (lock on), C is button 3 (break) and W is button 4 (pause)

mjmjr25 wrote:How does chaining work - is it killing enemies, or collecting the gold? In order to collect gold, you have to stop shooting so it "attracts to you" but then you stop killing enemies...any thoughts here?

Boss fight, 1st boss on original mode wasn't hard...but it was a solid 3+ minute battle, pretty repetitive, is there something i'm missing in this regard, or is just hold yr shot and weave the bullets for 3 minutes?

Chaining is just killing the enemies. The more you kill, the higher it gets, otherwise it decreases gradually. In Break mode your current multiplier doubles and in Double Break Mode, it quadruples. To collect the gold, it's a fast tap of your lock on button (think Progear). Like an option present in Terra Diver, you can shoot and lock on at the same time in this game. So for example, as you shoot to continue your chain, you can repeatedly tap the lock on button to grab all the gold around you.

As for bosses, their parts can be locked on (think of Rayforce & Terra Diver again). You will be able to lock on to more targets as you use the lock on feature, and by the time you reach the boss, all your lock on slots should be open (the triangles at the bottom tell you this). Also, don't forget to activate Break Mode. Your ship gets super-powered and it's both your shots AND your lock on shots that are powered up in this mode. Remember that when the first Break gauge reaches 50%, you can use it as a bomb. When you use the break button to start Break Mode, it cancels all current bullets as soon as you activate it, and you get a short period of invincibility which will calm down the action a bit. The meter fills up quicker the more you attack, so you can activate it a few times in battle. If you can get Double Break Mode, you get even more power. Finally, pieces of the boss break off as its meter passes the vertical lines, so if you can concentrate on a section with your shot, it helps.
Last edited by ExedExes on Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DocHauser
128-bit

by DocHauser Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:48 pm

mjmjr25 wrote:
How does chaining work - is it killing enemies, or collecting the gold? In order to collect gold, you have to stop shooting so it "attracts to you" but then you stop killing enemies...any thoughts here?

Fill up your break meter. Activate Break Mode. Keep filling the Break Meter. Activate Double Break Mode. Use the lock-on to increase the multiplier. Your Break Rate will then increase rapidly. Profit.

1st Boss - if you're in Break/Double Break Mode, you can probably kill it in about 10-20 seconds.
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:51 pm

Thanks, EE. That screenshot will come in handy for sure.

I'm sure the other info will be helpful when I give it a go again tomorrow.

So is lock on button 2? Is it obvious that it's working like Terra Diver, like a visual lock-on thing? (just typing my thoughts here...)

And button 3 is "breakout" or is button 3 bomb?

Also, I think I read earlier from you or Doc to change the screen settings, right now my score is in JP (or at least half in JP) so I should change to english which might help.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:53 pm

mjmjr25 wrote:Thanks, EE. That screenshot will come in handy for sure.

I'm sure the other info will be helpful when I give it a go again tomorrow.

So is lock on button 2? Is it obvious that it's working like Terra Diver, like a visual lock-on thing? (just typing my thoughts here...)

And button 3 is "breakout" or is button 3 bomb?

Also, I think I read earlier from you or Doc to change the screen settings, right now my score is in JP (or at least half in JP) so I should change to english which might help.

Lock on is button 2, and it's a faint green circle around your ship exactly like Terra Diver, minus the grid-like effect. If you can lock on with all your lock slots, there is an additional score multiplier that appears under your gauge (1.2x, 3.4x, etc) as long as you can keep the lock ons at maximum. It grows bigger as you open more lock on slots at the bottom. Button 3 activates Break/Double Break Mode when the gauge is full, otherwise it acts as a bomb when the gauge is at 50-99%. You will see the message "BOMB OK" on the gauge and under your ship.

In Options, change the score display to "World" and you get the standard score layout.
DocHauser
128-bit

by DocHauser Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:48 am

Room for improvement, but it'll do for now...

SIMPLE MODE

DocHauser - 85,337,590 - ALL CLEAR!! - Type I
Return to Shmups