Dig Dug: Tips and Tricks

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Ack

Dig Dug: Tips and Tricks

Post by Ack »

Ok folks, here's the deal: We did this for Defender, now we're doing it here. Post any tips and tricks you've discovered for Dig Dug. But...also make sure to point out which version you're using.
xraydash
32-bit

Re: Dig Dug: Tips and Tricks

Post by xraydash »

xraydash wrote:Here's a strategy I've been using: The closer you are, the faster you can pump up and destroy the enemies. So if you latch on from far away, move closer as you pump to get rid of them quicker.

(cut/pasted from the other thread)
Whatupdoc?
24-bit

Post by Whatupdoc? »

If youre dealing with multiple enemies you can always unlatch and pump in alternation to deal with a few enemies although this is challenging... MAME!!
Kevman
128-bit

Post by Kevman »

Oh I got a good one.

If you leave just a sliver of dirt between you and the enemy you can still pump tem andkill them, and they can't do anything.

I'm using the Famicom version btw.
Whatupdoc?
24-bit

Post by Whatupdoc? »

Kevman wrote:Oh I got a good one.

If you leave just a sliver of dirt between you and the enemy you can still pump tem andkill them, and they can't do anything.

actually the flaming dragons can p'wn slap all over you but you just gotta get outta the way but I forgot about that one good call kev
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Kevman wrote:Oh I got a good one.

Yup -- I noticed that too.
But the fire can get through more than a sliver.
I've accidentally got killed by fire in less that 2 seconds via the fire through dirt.
NeoRage
64-bit

Post by NeoRage »

If you tap your controller towards the enemies as you tap the pump button you can continuously attach and detach your hook making it VERY fast to pop them!

Always TRY to line up at least two baddies behind you when you make a rock fall, This will give you 2,500 points on even the low point goggle guys.

If you have just two guys left stall them and dig around to collect points, Doing this will also make the special fruit/vegetable appear after a little time has passed so you can collect more bonus points.

If the dragons are in a horizontal tunnel ALWAYS attack them from the top or the bottom, This way they cannot attack you with their fire.

Hope some of these help you guys!
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

On top of everything NeoRage said, I'll add some more tips.

1. I must go over this one again: it is VERY important that you get used to "moving and re-pumping" to blow enemies up faster. The only times you shouldn't do this is when you are attacking a guy in a tunnel that has another one, and latching through a thin layer. In that case you don't want to open up the tunnel as that exposes you to the 2nd dude. I believe I have managed to get rid of up to 4 guys by half-pumping them all and finishing them in turns when surrounded. Don't do that on purpose though as it's not reliable and you are asking to lose a life, but in the later levels this will eventually happen even if you don't want it. You should be able to regularly handle at least 2 simultaneously. If you can get enough skill to have some chance of handling 3 in case that arises it will be better (I have serious difficulty against 3).

2. I think the orange dudes are generally more dangerous than the dragons - surprise! They certainly move faster and I'm usually swarmed more often. If you agree with me, keep this in mind in the order you approach enemies. The dragon's danger comes from the fire, but if you play it right you only die to fire if you are surrounded and trying to stun some other(s) foe(s), giving the dragon time to position himself and roast you - and in many cases the extra speed of the orange dudes would still get to you in the same circumstance.

3. In some cases it's very easy (but risky) to nail ghosts with rocks. Ghosts don't move so fast and they home on you. I'm not sure if I should recommend this tactic though (I don't use it frequently myself as with a bit of error you will get killed and it's not worth it for 1k).

4. Dragons are worth more if you kill them from the side. Dragons killed by the side are worth about as much as nailing dragons with rocks (depending on depth), so why bother the extra risk? Be above or below the dragon, let it move down or up to your level and time your attack so that you catch the dragon just as it comes to your level and he won't have time to fire (don't try this if you are being chased by 2 enemies, the dragon may deflate while you stun the 2nd and then he may have enough time to roast you). If you are completely safe / have enough time (last enemy, for example) you may even half-pump from vertical, then re-position to horizontal for points.

5. This is very important as well, particularly in later levels. Try to clear out some enemies before even thinking of trying to get fancy (with rocks, getting dragons by the side and whatnot). Prime time to kill for points is when there are only 2 or 3 enemies left (use NeoRage's tips - long vertical tunnels, half-pumping to stun).

6. Adding to the above. Prioritize who you kill and try to avoid getting surrounded (see also 2). If there is a cavity with 2 dudes near me, I usually go there to kill one of them (and usually the 2nd). In later levels one or more of the orange dudes usually starts ghosting to you very early, you should get rid of these as soon as possible.

Bottom line: your lives are limited, play it safe and preserve them. You can always score more in the next level. Nailing 2 dudes with a rock gives you 2500, versus perhaps 400 if you get them in the worst possible score. One life lost in a risky move (even if you don't directly lose on the risky move, you may lose because you were wasting time arranging for the move instead of thinning down the enemies numbers) isn't worth it, particularly if it is the last! Next level certainly has 2000 points worth of score even if you ALSO need to play it safe. Get to 60k and you will have earned the 2nd extra life (I don't know when the 3rd comes, I didn't get it at 130k).

Focusing on fancy kills I got to 70k or so (and it's nice when you get high scores at relatively low stages), but the highest scores will come associated with having survived more stages.

Ivo.
NeoRage
64-bit

Post by NeoRage »

GREAT tips! Looks like your in the Dig-Dug zone :lol: . Thanks for posting these, They're really helpful.