So I whipped on some codes for Mega Man X2

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
Radical Lanzar
24-bit

So I whipped on some codes for Mega Man X2

Post by Radical Lanzar »

Megaman X2 is hard, but I've never thought anything of it - the gameplay is similar to Megaman X. I'd go so far as to say despite how much bosses hit X for damage in X3, X3 is by far the easiest for the SNES; but I digress from the matter at hand.

Whipping on codes and getting the best stuff, the gameplay for X2 completely changes. It is no longer a matter of stop, wait, stop. It's a matter of treating the game like a brawler. Which is... weird. Did Capcom have this in mind?

Here's the funny thing, and in the ten years I've been playing X2, I've never seen this... I'm completing the game as normal, Dragon Punching anything that stands in my way and...

Zero appears in the end credit roll. I don't mean the end part where he does a diddy and the Capcom logo appears. I mean in the end credit roll right about the time the Crystal Snail Stage credits are onscreen.

I've seen every combination of items possible in this game, the only possible thing I can think of is beating the game at full health with full subtanks, but that is a bit of a stretch.

Did Capcom put this bit in purposely?
1, 9, 9, 2, 1, 1, 2, 4, - 19, 65, 9, 17, - 4, 1, 2, 6,
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Re: So I whipped on some codes for Mega Man X2

Post by Gamerforlife »

Speaking as a MM X fan myself, your post is very confusing
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

Post by Rurouni_Fencer »

From http://www.mmhp.net:

When you defeat Sigma, you see X and Zero standing in front of some water. The sky is different hues ... After that, X rides a hoverbike on the highway; I seem to recall Zero being there as well depending on the plot. (I’m told this happens if you beat the game without getting any of X’s enhancements. I noticed Zero there from time to time but never paid attention to why he was appearing.)

Depending on whether you saved Zero or not, one of them appears in front of the logo to show off his triple shot (and then stand there blinking). If you met the fake Zero, the real one is here. If you didn’t save Zero, the gray one is here, and you have no clue as to why he’s gray (unless you’d played the game through the other way!).
B/S/T Thread *Updated 7/30/11*
Rurouni_Fencer »» 39 (as of 6/27/2018)
Radical Lanzar
24-bit

Post by Radical Lanzar »

Rurouni_Fencer wrote:From http://www.mmhp.net:

When you defeat Sigma, you see X and Zero standing in front of some water. The sky is different hues ... After that, X rides a hoverbike on the highway; I seem to recall Zero being there as well depending on the plot. (I’m told this happens if you beat the game without getting any of X’s enhancements. I noticed Zero there from time to time but never paid attention to why he was appearing.)

Depending on whether you saved Zero or not, one of them appears in front of the logo to show off his triple shot (and then stand there blinking). If you met the fake Zero, the real one is here. If you didn’t save Zero, the gray one is here, and you have no clue as to why he’s gray (unless you’d played the game through the other way!).

Interesting. I noticed the codes I used still left the heart tanks in the stages. I'm left to believe they give all of the perks, but the game is none the wiser and thinks X doesn't have the upgrades at all. Cool stuff here.
Flake

Post by Flake »

That's because the upgrades are just sprites pasted on top of the Megaman X sprite. So for every upgrade, two values are changed: Does the sprite get drawn, and can X do whatever the upgrade says he can do.

I had something like that happen once when I was playing around with a Megaman X rom. I somehow ended up on the highway stage with Chill Penguin's weapon but no upgrades, which is impossible.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
d123456
Next-Gen

Post by d123456 »

Still don´t understand. You´re using action replay codes to unlock all the weapons and that makes it easier?

Speaking as someone who only ever really played MegamanX6 on ps1
Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30389
Zing
Next-Gen

Post by Zing »

What does "whipping on codes" mean?
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
Radical Lanzar
24-bit

Post by Radical Lanzar »

Translation - My dear sirs. I do decree that the game Megaman X2 is a favorite pasttime. As such I have played it off and on for ten years. This game is both a challenging and rewarding experience. It has frustrated and delighted me over the years. I am good enough to experience the thrill of a game session that involves X with no upgrades whatsoever.

It's time for some payback. Cheat device to enable nothing short of 'God mode' and an invincibility rush. This most assuredly would make the game easier. I apparently miscalculated. My normal approach is stop/go/watch/wait/calculate to get through this game. This is not needed in Godmode - or so I would think. I died more times with codes on, than I have any other time. If I'm not abusing the codes, there is no point in even using them and I might as well go back to playing like I normally do. What I notice is that with pure invincibility and full upgrades, this game plays very similar to a brawler/fighting game - enemies can be frozen, struck with a chain, their shields can be knocked out of their hands, etc, etc, etc. This game does not always rely on pure platformer or run 'n gun physics. Most of the robot masters have some actual physical attack in this game, many of the smaller time robots included.

Or in short, I miscalculated how easy this game is - I got cocky with codes and got my ass handed to me for an annoying time through the game.

What I noticed in the end is Zero appears during all three credit rolls as opposed to the scene with him and X, an X only credit roll, and then the final 'presented by Capcom' logo that features Zero. About the time the Crystal Snail stage enemies are on screen for the credit roll (Savor Moon R is one of them), Zero will appear and dash by X's bike.

It's these little gems that make retro gaming worth it, especially in this game. This game has been ridiculous fun over the years, if not frustrating. Ten years later and it still shows me something new.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFYsWqnfjLA#t=13m55s
LoneCynic
32-bit

Post by LoneCynic »

Yeah, that bit with Zero appearing on the highway during the ending credits to X2 can be seen by beating the game with no armor upgrades. My friend and I did it on the SNES back in the late 90's and saw that and knew we'd found an easter egg. We actually contacted what basic MegaMan fan community there was on the web back then and everyone blew us off as making stuff up. Who knows, maybe we were the first ones to find that, and it wouldn't be publicly accepted as fact until others came upon it too. Guess it was still a few years before digital cameras and "Pictures or it didn't happen" became the internet cry for such claims.. *shrug*
GameMasterGuy
Next-Gen

Post by GameMasterGuy »

Flake wrote:That's because the upgrades are just sprites pasted on top of the Megaman X sprite. So for every upgrade, two values are changed: Does the sprite get drawn, and can X do whatever the upgrade says he can do.

I had something like that happen once when I was playing around with a Megaman X rom. I somehow ended up on the highway stage with Chill Penguin's weapon but no upgrades, which is impossible.

Actually, it isn't. I CBA to find the exact password, but there's one that sends you back to the title screen, and when you press start during the intro demo, you begin the game with whatever health, maximum health, weapons, and sub-tanks X has during that part of the demo.
Is that a 3DS XL in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me? ~ZeroAX