Ipod touch game recommendations

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
swiftzx
Next-Gen

Ipod touch game recommendations

Post by swiftzx »

I've been waiting for my 300th post(for Sparta! :lol: ) but I'd like to say that I got a iPod touch a couple of weeks ago and would like some recommendations. So far, my favorites are
shmups- Radiant, Space deadbeef, Siberian Strike, Tyrian, Crazy fighter
FPS- Modern Combat Sandstorm, NOVA, Infinity Project, Call of duty: zombies
Jumping games- Doodle Jump, Glow Jump, Papijump

I'm looking recommendations for any of the above categorys and action RPGs, platformers, racing, tower defense, old school style games, and anything interesting. Oh yeah, free games!
Sale thread (please buy!): viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19428
dlmvii
Next-Gen

Re: Ipod touch game recommendations

Post by dlmvii »

Hook Champ!
Let's Golf - I don't usually like sports games, but some golf games are pretty fun
(too bad it's no neo turfmasters for the NGPC)
Metal Gear Solid Touch is a retelling of 4's story, as a rail shooter.
Slay - simple but great strategy game
Plats vs Zombies is a great adaptation of the PC version, minus a couple minigames
Super KO Boxing 2 a lot like punchout
Against the Fire - fun dual stick firefighting game
HellKid, Canabalt, Zenonia, Across Age, Sword & Poker, Labyrinth 2, Peggle, Flight Control, Soosiz, Space Miner, Battle Bears
swiftzx
Next-Gen

Post by swiftzx »

dlmvii wrote:Hook Champ!
Let's Golf - I don't usually like sports games, but some golf games are pretty fun
(too bad it's no neo turfmasters for the NGPC)
Metal Gear Solid Touch is a retelling of 4's story, as a rail shooter.
Slay - simple but great strategy game
Plats vs Zombies is a great adaptation of the PC version, minus a couple minigames
Super KO Boxing 2 a lot like punchout
Against the Fire - fun dual stick firefighting game
HellKid, Canabalt, Zenonia, Across Age, Sword & Poker, Labyrinth 2, Peggle, Flight Control, Soosiz, Space Miner, Battle Bears

I liked Neo turf masters so I'll try Let's golf and I have Zenonia; I should play it more often. Anyways, thanks for the suggestions :wink:
ujnhunter
64-bit

Post by ujnhunter »

I don't know if the iPod touch has the same "push" capabilities as the iPhone, but BargainBin is an invaluable app when looking for "free" or "cheap" games. You can set up a watch list and it will alert you when the game you want drops to a certain price point. I don't buy anything unless it's $0.99 or free.
Mr. Stripe
24-bit

Post by Mr. Stripe »

I agree with Hook Champ, that one is probably my favorite.

I also love Peggle, and FlightControl as some casual favorites.

For a really cool retro game there is Squareball.

For laughs I recommend Enviro-Bear.

Also MiniSquadron and Tilt to Live are both super fun ones as well.
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

I don't have an Ipod, but I did hear that they've released Sword of Fargoal for the Ipod. It's an old 8-bit, dungeon crawler with an overhead view and randomly generated dungeons. i.e. an early Roguelike. It's great to pick up and play, so I can see it adapting well to a mobile device. Maybe check it out. You might be interested in this interview with the creator too.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Taken from another thread.

REPO Man wrote:Check out TouchArcade, which reviews, previews and talks about iPhone OS games.

I have their "new games" page bookmarked on mine. So every time I go to a hotspot, I go on there and see what's new to the store and what recently has had it's price cut.

If you like tower defense games, guess what? They have a freakin SHITLOAD of TD games. If you want a good free one, check out Tap Defense. If you want some good not-free TD games, check out Crystal Defenders, geoDefense (and the spinoff geoDefense Swarm, which features a hexagonal grid), Zombie Attack! (with a zombie theme), RetroDefense (which has a classic retro game look, which is perfect for RacketBoy forum users) and Star Defense (which is played on a 3D spherical field). Many of them have lite versions (which are basically demos).

If you like strategy games, they have plenty of RTS games like Command and Conquer: Red Alert (not the first one), Robocalypse (port of a DS game), Rise of Lost Empires, and Warfare Inc. If you're in the mood for for some "Advance/Famicom Wars"-style games, check out Mecho Wars and War 3100. If you want some card games, check out Soulcard Master (a card-based battle game), Strongholds (an Arcomage clone with a modern warfare theme), MangaTriad (a Triple Triad clone), Urban Rivals (an online card game), and Elemon TD (a tower defense game that uses cards). If you like the game Galcon, they have a few Galcon games on there, and the Galcon-like game from Square Enix, Hills and Rivers Remain. There's also the Dice Wars clone Strategery and World Wars. They also have an iPhone OS port of The Battles of Wesnoth. Board gamers can check out the two Monopoly games they have out (both Classic and Here & Now), Catan, Xeno Sola (a Carcassonne clone), the RPG-like Dungeon and Dice, the Monopoly-like Millionaire Tycoon, HoloChess, and not to mention various sudoku and kakuro games. If you want tycoon games, check out various Kaloki games, Hotel Mogul, and Build-a-Lot (which plays a LOT like Hotel Mogul). They also have a port of The Settlers. And a fun Daisenryaku-like game called UniWar.

For puzzle fans, check out Audio Puzzle (which uses your songs to make puzzles), the physics-based Gelex, the BlockOut clones Polycubes and Dropoly, and ports of such titles as Bejeweled, Columns (Columns Deluxe includes Columns and Puyo Pop), Luxor, PuzzLoop, Diner Dash, Tower Bloxx and Jewel Quest.

RPG fans can enjoy many titles such as SEED, Song Summoner Encore (a port of the tactical-RPG for the iPod classic, where you turn your songs into soldiers), Wolfenstein RPG, Elven Chronicles, the epic Ravensword, the Diablo-like Dungeon Hunter, Undercroft (which is a computer-RPG-style game like The Bard's Tale and Eye of the Beholder), and many Zelda-like games like Inotia.

They also have ports of such [adult swim] games as 5 Minutes to Kill Yourself, Amateur Surgeon (the classic one and the Christmas edition, which was free), Vending Machine Champ and, most recently, My Li'l Bastard.

There's a wealth of gr8 games.

And if you like comics, check out the Comixology app. They have TONS of comics, some for as low as on 99 cents! And they have stuff like Grimm's Fairy Tales from Zenoscope, Hack/Slash from Devil's Due, and The Amazing Spider-Man from Marvel. They also have a wealth of free comics. You can also buy print copies.

Other gr8 apps are the Amazon.com app, the eBay app, the Kindle app (why shell out hundreds when this app is just as good?), and Barnes and Noble eReader (like the Kindle app, where you can buy eBooks from B&N). They have apps for damn near almost anything.

And a new obsession of mine is "Dungeon Solitaire". It's a card game for one player, and even though I suck at it (only two wins and over a DOZEN losses), I still go back for more. Here's the official developer's thread over at TouchArcade.

Oh, and Espgaluda 2 is coming soon to the iPhone OS.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

http://www.cave-world.com/en/games/espgaluda2.html

Too bad it only supports new Touch/iPhones. Mine's too old, and getting a new one would run me far more than I'm willing to spend for the awesomeness of having a really hard to play port of Espgaluda II to show random people.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
swiftzx
Next-Gen

Post by swiftzx »

MrPopo wrote:http://www.cave-world.com/en/games/espgaluda2.html

Too bad it only supports new Touch/iPhones. Mine's too old, and getting a new one would run me far more than I'm willing to spend for the awesomeness of having a really hard to play port of Espgaluda II to show random people.

I saw that on toucharcade http://toucharcade.com/ and was very disappointed when it said for 3g. My iPod is 2g and can't play it. Well that means I'll ask my dad to let me borrow his iPhone :mrgreen:
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Mine's a first-gen, but I wanna either get a 3rd-gen or an iPad.