Super Famicom Display Problem

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
Pullmyfinger
Next-Gen

Post by Pullmyfinger »

when your security bit arrives you can break the tabs on your snes and try the carts there
extrarice
64-bit

Post by extrarice »

Steel A Jeeg wrote:I have. Its hard to describe what the screen looks like when the system turns on, but it happens with every single game. Just random blobs of pixels moving around like they're the actual title screens. The music plays, the screen animates, its just... all random shapes.

I'm curious, do the backgrounds display correctly and just the sprite objects are garbled, or is everything garbled? It sounds like the animation routines are running properly, but the Super Fami just isn't reading the correct memory space to load the sprite artwork, or is incapable of displaying the loaded artwork properly.

Steel A Jeeg wrote:I purchased the item "AS IS/UNTESTED" on Ebay...

"As is/untested" usually is code for "broken, don't blame me when it doesn't work". Usually applied to "for parts" auctions, like if you have a Super Fami where the plastic has faded, and you want to replace the faded case with a nicer looking one.

Given that, sounds like the video chip might be toast. Like Pullmyfinger said, use the gamebit to open your SNES and remove the two tabs preventing Super Fami carts from being able to fit. Presto, NA and JP compatible SNES.

http://www.gamesx.com/importmod/snescon.htm
Steel A Jeeg

Post by Steel A Jeeg »

extrarice wrote:I'm curious, do the backgrounds display correctly and just the sprite objects are garbled, or is everything garbled? It sounds like the animation routines are running properly, but the Super Fami just isn't reading the correct memory space to load the sprite artwork, or is incapable of displaying the loaded artwork properly.

"As is/untested" usually is code for "broken, don't blame me when it doesn't work". Usually applied to "for parts" auctions, like if you have a Super Fami where the plastic has faded, and you want to replace the faded case with a nicer looking one.

Given that, sounds like the video chip might be toast. Like Pullmyfinger said, use the gamebit to open your SNES and remove the two tabs preventing Super Fami carts from being able to fit. Presto, NA and JP compatible SNES.

http://www.gamesx.com/importmod/snescon.htm

The backgrounds won't display at all, but the screen will "animate" and you can almost make out what the sprites are supposed to be. Its all very uniform.

I plan on taking the guts out of my family's old SNES, which looks like cat piss on the outside..., cleaning them up and sticking them in the Super Famicom's case, which just looks nice. After I get the security bit I'll file down the cartridge slot so that US games can fit in there. When I have more time, maybe I'll make something a little nicer looking.
Pullmyfinger
Next-Gen

Post by Pullmyfinger »

How much did you pay for that SFC anyways?
Steel A Jeeg

Post by Steel A Jeeg »

Pullmyfinger wrote:How much did you pay for that SFC anyways?

30 bucks. But it came with controllers, a bunch of crappy sports games, and a multi-tap. Everything else seems to work, so I left neutral feedback and washed my hands of it.
extrarice
64-bit

Post by extrarice »

Steel A Jeeg wrote:The backgrounds won't display at all, but the screen will "animate" and you can almost make out what the sprites are supposed to be. Its all very uniform.

I plan on taking the guts out of my family's old SNES, which looks like cat piss on the outside..., cleaning them up and sticking them in the Super Famicom's case, which just looks nice. After I get the security bit I'll file down the cartridge slot so that US games can fit in there. When I have more time, maybe I'll make something a little nicer looking.

Blah, video display chip or the working RAM/video RAM is toast. At least you got some other stuff with the auction! :)
Pullmyfinger
Next-Gen

Post by Pullmyfinger »

It's still pretty decent :)