PC build thread

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: PC build thread

Post by bmoc »

Ziggy587 wrote:
Nice! Definitely post picks if you can, I'd love to see them!

Here you go. The cables could be a little tidier but I was eager to get it running. You'll see the USB 3.2 Gen 2 cable dangling because it wasn't working for me. I don't know if it is the header on the motherboard or the cable that is bad. Luckily the Gen 1 cable worked so I'm just gonna roll with that.

It has been a minute since I have owned a Gigabyte motherboard. I did not realize that they try really hard to get you to install their app center software. So much so that they bake it into the BIOS and it installs a Gigabyte update service into Windows. To finally get it to go away, I had to stop the service, disable the service, delete the two files it makes in C:\Windows\System32, and then disable that feature in the BIOS. Otherwise, it would reinstall itself and re-enable in the the BIOS. :evil:

Other than the intrusive service that gets installed by default, it is running really well. It probably took less than 5 minutes to install Windows 11. I spent more time installing drivers than installing Windows! I've mostly been playing Doom (2016) but in the next day or two, I want to rip a few DVDs and see how fast Handbrake can encode them.

Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Nice! That looks slick!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
marurun

Post by marurun »

Any news on this front? I've been following along with nostalgia in my heart. My very first PC build was from this era and was kind of bizarre as all getup, so all this is fascinating and a lot more normal seeming to me than what I went through.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Just hired my friend to populate a motherboard I had laying around to replace my old 2015-built tower currently running all my server functions. It's showing its age as it's not quite keeping up with the increased traffic i've been getting lately.
Old computer: core i7 4790k 4ghz with 16gb ram and Nvidia GTX750ti, 512gb SSD
I asked him to maximize the motherboard's potential and use an nvidia card I got a good deal on. Here's what he came up with.
New computer: Asus Prime z590p (LGA1200), core i9 11900kf, Geforce RTX 3070ti, 32gig ram, 2tb m.2 ssd, and a 1300w PSU. Hoping this new system can hardware encode and decode HEVC. I'll also be using it to run my VR headset wirelessly as my gaming PC is AMD and the wireless card only works on Intel. The old system absolutely cannot handle VR even with the 3070ti in it
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage