Should we all be buying 1440p monitors?

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
MrPopo

Re: Should we all be buying 1440p monitors?

Post by MrPopo »

Yeah, it tends to be old PC games that didn't expect resolutions to go above 1024x768 but DO enumerate all resolutions available that have UI problems.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
nickfil
Next-Gen

Post by nickfil »

MrPopo wrote:But at the end of the day, if you're upscaling a 240p image to 1080p or higher you're not actually going to really notice a difference between 1080p being not an even multiple by 1440p being an even multiple. The base graphical fidelity limits you. It's like how in real life there isn't a magic enhance button like on cop shows.

Correct me if I'm wrong here- but my impression with the retrotink 5x and the ossc is that they don't stretch images. They line double. So they take a row of pixels and make 2 identical rows. They do that for every row. 240 becomes 1440 at 6x. Crisp. Clean. They aren't trying to like- stretch the image.

Which is why 1440 is the sweet spot. Works for anything that isn't 1080p.
nickfil
Next-Gen

Post by nickfil »

Mike Chi posted about the retrotink 5x getting a 2x scale for 720p putting it to 1440p.
https://twitter.com/retrotink2/status/1485371241397510146

He also talked on twitter about how the fpga in the 5x couldn't be pushed to 4k. He could get the picture that size, but at a bad frame rate. For now and for the foreseeable future, 1440p is the cap for upscaled resolutions. We need better FPGAs before it jumps to 4k.

1440p! I'm telling you- retro gaming sweet spot.

As an aside- Here is an article on why integer scaling is important.
https://tanalin.com/en/articles/integer-scaling/
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Even with chip shortages, I am seeing the XB Series S readily available now. It outputs in native 1440 and runs RetroArch... that's tempting.

Does 5x scaling on 1080p clip some of the game field? Is this mostly CRT over-scan?

My only problem with 1440p is I don't really game on monitors often. I prefer to lounge back on the couch where my sets are all 4K these days. I sit at a desk starting at monitors most of the day. Have to get out of that office chair.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
nickfil
Next-Gen

Post by nickfil »

Jagosaurus wrote:Even with chip shortages, I am seeing the XB Series S readily available now. It outputs in native 1440 and runs RetroArch... that's tempting.

Does 5x scaling on 1080p clip some of the game field? Is this mostly CRT over-scan?

My only problem with 1440p is I don't really game on monitors often. I prefer to lounge back on the couch where my sets are all 4K these days. I sit at a desk starting at monitors most of the day. Have to get out of that office chair.

I get that- I'm really hoping for a 4k scaler eventually, but 1440p seems to be the top end. Unfortunately they only make 2k displays up to like 32 inches or so. But I'm using a 22 inch PVM to play retro games on, so it isn't like that is a huge downgrade.

As CRTs become more difficult to come by, I can see these monitor/scaler combos replacing them. But not replacing the huge 4k set.